Are you an impulse shopper?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Dec 5, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I was given an assignment at work and the topic was how to reduce impulse shopping? I didn't realize that most people buy on a whim because it cheers them up. I also didn't know 88 percent of impulse shopping is done for goods on sale (I thought it would just be for anything).

Anyway, are you an impulse spender? How much do you spend on average a year on impulse shopping?

2. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I'm not an impulse shopper and I can spend a long time deciding if I should buy or not, even for something I need. If I need new bed sheets, I will spend an hour looking and then looking again, and I may not even make the purchase at the end of that time. I can't help but think that I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I guess you could say I'm the opposite of an impulse shopper. I will say that I impulse shop when I have my kid with me at the mall. He doesn't ask for much and when he does ask, I can't say no. Don't worry, he deserves it because he gets good grades and stays out of trouble :) Even then I won't spend more than I can afford and it doesn't happen all that often.

#2Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Not realy, but I have some friends who are, and then they usually end up taking it back!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    No I don't really buy impulsively all that much, but that's only because I don't really have a lot to spend. I think of every purchase thoroughly but honestly I'd rather not, it's just too much drain on time. Given the chance, I'd buy impulsively, noting that impulsive does not necessarily mean not being smart about it like finding coupons or discounts for a few minutes.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not an impulse shopper, but that's because of a lot of restraint on my part. I do find that I feel inclined to- most especially if I see a good deal or something on sale. I also find that sometimes I do want to engage in 'retail therapy' to cheer myself up, but my husband and I are really trying to clear away some debt and build up our savings again....so I've been working on curbing that. It helps me to come with a clear idea of exactly what I'm buying, or at the very least an amount I will not spend past. I know it sounds kind of weird, but to me it helps to pay in cash, too. That way I'm counting out the money and handing it over, as opposed to just swiping a card and not really thinking about it as much.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I buy small things impulsively, like cupcakes. It's been very rare that I spend more than five or ten dollars on an impulse buy. However, the slow leak of two or three dollars every so often is still a leak, and that's something I need to work on stopping.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that to be a compulsive buyer we must have some "economic security." I don't think the pulsion for purchases is a problem that reaches those who haven't financial resources to squander. It is curious that relationship, but I think it makes some sense. I belong to the middle class, but I don't consider myself a shopaholic. I enjoy the things I buy and appraise. The compulsive shopper loses the notion of enjoyment.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Studies have shown that the sales trigger chemicals in our brain which compel us to buy. We feel a rush when we THINK we are getting a bargain.

I wouldn't say I'm an impulse buyer, I usually have an idea on what I want to buy. I do buy on impulse sometimes, though.

9. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on the mood I am in. I don't know why, but sometimes shopping just feels good. I have learned from past mistakes that if I don't have the extra money, to come up with dome sort of plan to get the money, or coupon or whatever I need to make it fit my budget. I also like that challenge of figuring out how to get something I didn't plan for. Its kind of like hunting lol.

10. AlexMcLeod01

AlexMcLeod01New Member

Threads:
    I am not particularly an impulse buyer, but every once in a while, my fiancee and I do have an impulse buy. Usually, it's food related, since we only really shop for groceries, anyway.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very seldom purchase on impulse. I get what I need when I need it. Some times when I am tempted to purchase something that I like I will walk around the store with it in my hands, usually it will go back on the shelf. When I need retail therapy I go to the Goodwill store to shop, the store my full of stuff but it is not stuff that I want most of the time.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think i'm a impulse buyer but i do tend to grab things on sale. If i know i don't have money for something i will do everything to walk away and i don't buy it. But if i do know i have money and i see something i like on sale i will get it. I went to the store and they had a lot of plates and cups and all kinds of things 50 percent off and i got a lot and ended up spending 40 bucks.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the most part, I'm not an impulse buyer. I research before making a purchase. Sometimes I wish I could make a purchase without thinking about it so much. The only time I do buy on impulse is when I waiting in line at Target. They have great purse-size products. Occasionally, I will pick up hand sanitizer or handiwipes.

14. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I do not buy on impulse and like another member stated, I take a while to purchase things that I need. I like to hold out as long as I can until there is a good sale for a necessary product. On our budget, I would really be in trouble by shopping on impulse.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oy, yeah, you've gotta be careful with that! It's like the checkout impulse buyer....the one who buys candy bars or gum or whatever when they're waiting for their items to be rung up. Those will literally nickle and dime you to death. They add up without you ever realizing it because it's only a few dollars here or there.

16. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely not an impulsive shopper as I contemplate before I purchase every little item. Sometimes I actually over-analyze the stupidest purchases. It's crazy.

17. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I just simply don't have the bucks to do it. When I was younger, I was an impulse shopper but now that I am much older (and hopefully wiser), I am extremely carefull when shopping. The only exception is if I find something on sale or clearance priced and I know we will need it in the near future, I will get it. Grocery shopping is about the only shopping that I seem to do anymore so that has also cut back on my impulse buys.

18. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I am, especially if its a sale! I try not to be, I'm getting better, but I definitely can be.
    And yeah, if the kids are with me, certainly. I just can't think! Lol

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I always wanted to know how people do this impulse buying. When I go shopping, I always take a list and I put everything in my basket that I need first and if there is impulse buying by myself, it is for some snack food until I get home because I didn't eat before I left to shop. But all that other stuff can stay there until I need it. I do not want to be a hoarder just because some item is on sale .

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can actually relate to what you are saying, because in a span of 1 week, I have bought 3 earphones online on a whim. I really only need 1 earphone, but then I saw other earphones on Ebay that were open for bidding. So I bid on one earphone then I won it. And then I saw another better model a few days later, and I bid on it when the bidding time was about to end. Now I'm stuck with 3 earphones, lol. :D