Are You Comfortable With Using Your Credit Card For Online Shopping?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by explorerx7 • Jun 1, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The cyber crime landscape had been gradually expanding and the perpetrators have been swiftly moving to stay ahead of law enforcement; each time their methods have been discovered they rapidly come up with a new scheme to scam folks. In my country just recently there are banks that have to be reimbursing customers for losses resulting from cyber fraud. This makes me skeptical of using my credit card to transact business online, Therefore, there is not the involvement of a credible e-payment process like Paypal I don't participate.

2. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I tend to always do some research when it comes to sites that I haven't used before. A good indicator would be sites that have deals that are too good to be true, just because they probably are. My parents are more paranoid than me and use a totally separate credit card for all online purchases, so they can easily monitor it.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use my credit card for online shopping when the store is reputable especially with local online shops. When I first shopped in a pet accesories online store, I requested to pay in COD because I have to make sure that it is not a bogus or scam site. The owner replied to my message by asking my contact number, preferably landline, so she can also get my real identity. It's funny because the owner, a young woman, had herself made the delivery. After that first transaction, there was no more doubt and I have been a customer already.

4. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I feel like it's a lot easier to trust the giant websites like Amazon, just because a ton of their profit comes from being dependable and trustworthy. If they were to lose either of these factors, their profitability would drop fast. My family has been using Amazon from almost the beginning and we've never had a single issue in terms of card security.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, not really, especially with smaller and lesser known shops. I remember the first ever item I bought online and I would have to meet up with the seller to pay him and get the gadget. I was very scared and skeptical at that time. Thankfully, the seller was very nice and we had a fast translation. The gadget I bought was also in perfect condition.

Nowadays, such meet-ups aren't necessary at all. You can pay online via credit card or PayPal. But I don't really buy many items online, especially with a credit card. I have much too many fears, with my identity being stolen or my item not being delivered. And if I really do need something, I'd opt for git cards or PayPal instead.

Even in real-life, there are cases of credit card fraud so it isn't unlikely to happen. I guess the most important thing is to keep our identities private and make sure that we only use our credit cards in reputable places and websites.

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using them for a bit and haven't run into any issues. I use them sparingly and never anywhere sketch, most of them are protected cards with insurance on them anyways.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Not at all.
    I'm very paranoid when it comes to cybercrime, and for good reason I think.

I won't ever use my credit card.
    I'll use Paypal, or a virtual card (where I live we call those MBnet, don't know if there is such a thing outside of where I live, and what people call it).
    When I have no chance at all, I'll use a debit card, and only if the website is VERY reputable.

If dudes can hack into banks all over the world, Sony, US Government websites, Ebay, they'll get into Amazon eventually.
    Thinking that Amazon is 100% protected is foolish.

8. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I don't use any credit cards online regardless of the stores reputation, even if the security lapses aren't being reported that doesn't mean they're not happening. Just look at the tumblr password hack that happened over a 3 years ago and was just made public. Instead I make use of pre-loaded cards whenever I can, at least then if I get ripped off it'll ba a very limited amount.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a credit card, only a debit card, but it's quite safe to use because you have the unlock/lock feature that is mandatory when you want to buy something, so it gets locked after a few minutes when you unlock it. So I have no concerns when buying online, since my debit card and Paypal is secure.

10. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    When I first started online shopping I was hesitant about using my card, but nowadays I'm pretty comfortable using it. I try to do some research on a certain shop to see if they're trustworthy before giving them my information. I still do most of my shopping in person, but I do like buying from Amazon and sometimes I order books from Barnes & Noble. I try to buy from well known retailers because they inspire a bit more confidence than other sites. I recently started using PayPal though so perhaps I'll stop using a card to shop online.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can use a credit card for online shopping but you need to make sure that you are paying for something only on a https site. Any other site where data isn't encrypted is not safe because people can "see" the data [your credit card numbers, etc, etc] and could use the same info to make purchases of their own. IMHO it's better to pay with Paypal if the site you are buying from accepts Paypal.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It might be wise to use a separate credit card specifically for online purchases. That way your main one cannot fall into the hands of criminals. Also, I would try to sign up for some kind of identity theft service. Definitely, it would be a way to save money as the threat of crime is vastly reduced.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like google trusted sites and Better Business Bureau accredited or at least have a good rating sites to do shopping. I don't use my credit card on just any site even if the prices are soooo good, I check before I buy anything online. I like to window shop and find things I need at sites I've never heard of. These new sites I just research for a while and if I find things that are not good I'll pass it, even if it's such a good price for my item I want to buy, so far so good! Buying is alright using your credit card online just got to be careful where you buy.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In general, not... But if the site is trustworthy, if it's well recognized it's woth a try. However, I always try to be very careful before actually completing the purchase (but I still prefer to buy in physical stores).