Are You Comfortable Working On Your Computers And Electronic Gadgets?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Aug 31, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use technology every day, and I have worked on this and my other computers in the past, but that's because I've had successful experiences doing so over the years. I do have a reluctance to delve into new territory, though, and I've been stressed out about having to replace the internet router/modem. In the past, the provider has come out and swapped out the equipment and set up the new devices. Apparently they are no longer offering that service, though, so I had to deal with the issue if I wanted a working connection.

I found the instructions a bit confusing, but thankfully, the process went fairly smoothly. Oddly, when I tried to pull over my previous information (connection name and password) from my previous router that hadn't been working well, the system pulled my original information, from when I first signed up with the company, about 4 years ago, rather than using my most recent data. I'm fine with that, since it's easier to remember than the last few that I've had.

Do you feel comfortable fixing issues that come up, and/or replacing equipment, or would you prefer to have a technician rectify the issue?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may sound ironic that I work in the IT department but I don't tinker with the computer when it has problems. It's okay with the software for tweaking or installing upgrades. But when there is a problem with the hardware particularly some internal parts, I would delegate the work to the tech. Late last year when our home computer went kaput due to a broken power supply, we didn't hesitate nor tried to fix it. We brought it to the repair shop and just paid for the cost. Within the day, our computer was again up and running.

3. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Playing around with the insides of my computer? That's, more or less, child's play for me. In fact, I teach people how to repair computers. I used to have my own computer repairs shop. When I was about to retire, I felt that my knowledge and experience would be wasted if I just closed shop and went away. So for the last year of my shop, I started courses teaching people how to repair their own computers. I even had a professional course for those who wanted to start their own computer repair shops. I think at least three of my students have successfully started their own computer repair shops.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm fairly comfortable with any sort of technology we have available. I know that when I owned my first smartphone it was a breeze. When I pick up a new electronic or start working with new gadgets. It doesn't take me long to get used to them and the features they possesses.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually pretty bad when it comes to the technical side of things. I work online and I use my computer and gadgets most of the time, but when problems arise, I'm not really a good troubleshooter. I don't know but I just find computer and gadget issues to be very complicated. So I always end up having to wait for my husband to do the fixing. :)

6. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I personally consider myself a technology guy since I was born with technology itself. I'm from the 90s and well, technology was starting to evolve back then, but I've presensed all about it, its most recent changes, its past and all about it, so yes, I am a good friend of technology when it comes to using it.

7. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, technology is always evolving. Now, it's computers. In the not too distant future, probably within our lifetimes, we may probably see a whole new level of technology. Already, there are some in the works. Like robots. They are the incoming wave of new technology. Can we cope?

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am fairly comfortable, and if you are someone who doesn't earn much money to pay for simple repairs - though they may not seem so simple to novices - then learning how to fix simple to moderate computer and gadget issues is a must. Youtube is a great way to learn to do a lot of these technological fixes.

9. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    Um no I don't last time I did this I ended up using tape to tape my laptop screen back together...literally, hey it worked but...I still have that laptop and it works but it looks awful. My husband is pretty good are fixing computers, why didn't I let him try to fix it, I have no idea but I try to stay away from electronics. However I am good at wiring other electrical things and soldering just not electronics like computers.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I arranged and built myself my desktoop computer and set all my gadgets to my liking. Thus I'm comfortable when working on my devices, otherwise I would sell them all and buy something more suitable.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When something needs fixing, I just go to Youtube to learn how to fix it. So far, I'm comfortable replacing the flex or LCD of my phones, thanks to Youtube. If it's a PC hardware or software error, I do the same, I research the possible solutions, and if I can't fix it, then that's the only time that I will call a technician.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I can say I'm comfortable fixing my gadgets as long as they're not that complicated like if it's just some kind of a virus on my computer that I can fix like resetting or scanning or when the digitizer of my iPad got broken, I just checked videos on YouTube on how to fix it and I thought it wasn't that complicated so I did. However, when it's battery got bloated and needs to be replaced, I also did search online on how to replace it but I find it too complicated unlike with the digitizer fix, so I decided to call a technician to get it fixed.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very comfortable with my computer because it is already 6 years old, no make that 7 last September. But the problem is that it was hit by a virus last week and now I am having a hard time reconstructing all my files. It's a good thing that I have a backup although it is not complete but not totally lost when my internal hard disk broke down. With the phone, I am not well versed yet but I am trying to be comfortable in using. My issue with phones is the virtual keyboard which is alien to me.

14. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a lot of problems with my old computer before and I have to do the repair all by myself. But when the problem gets too complicated like there's a need to replace an IC on a MoBo, I let the repair guys to it for me or else I'll just buy a new unit. Thankfully, I'm quite good at handling electronic gadgets, and all of them, even my 8 yr old gadget are still working as of writing. The only maintenance I did would be cleaning, and replacing the batteries.