Are you ever put off by the chemical smell in stores?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Mar 6, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't believe the smell in some big stores. Last week I wanted to buy some shoes for my nephew, and I thought I will just have a look around first and compare prices. But as soon as I walked into this one mega store, I just felt sick. I cautiously approached the shoe section and was overwhelmed with the stench of chemical dyes, plastics, and who knows what else. I didn't even feel like touching those horrible things, not to mention putting them on the delicate feet of a kid.
    Have you experienced something similar?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely am. I especially get concerned when it's a grocery store. That drives me crazy. I do not want to shop for things I eat when it smells like chemicals. I'm unsure of what causes it and I've noticed that the smells vary by store. Like Targets have a similar smell and Albertsons has a similar smell.

3. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean. There are some stores that smell like cleaning products, it makes everything seem so sterile and unfriendly. I know that it means that the store was recently clean, but it just strikes me as being so industrial and unwelcoming. Whenever a store smells funny, I'm unlikely to buy any clothing there as I'm worried that the clothing will smell funny too!

4. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely. I'm really against chemicals, plus chemical cleaning products can give me headaches. I use white vinegar to clean my house, and I know that the produce department in grocery stores use vinegar too, so why can't other stores?

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually that never happened to me and I am very very sensitive to smells. I do have huge problems entering perfume stores and so I do not because I start sneezing immediately, but that is the only case. I am not surprised though, cleaning products are more and more aggressive each day.