Are You Obsessed With Retirement?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Feb 8, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do people hate working to the point where all they can envision is retirement and the freedom that presents or promises? Nonetheless, considering the fact that nothing is assured [that we'll live that long] to me it seems like those who'd rather not enjoy their lives by denying themselves everything and saving all their money for retirement miss out on a lot.

IMO, while it's wise to plan for the future, one needs to, from time to time, treat himself/herself to the few good things money can buy them — a trip abroad for example?

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think about retirement, because from what I have seen about life, people need to continue to work forever in some capacity to keep themselves vital. To me, working after retirement is not so much about money as it is about staying current with what is going on in the world, staying a part of things... although if I don't get my financial house in order, working after retirement could very well be all about money.

Certain kinds of travel are okay, however I think that "freedom" from work is over-rated. Treating oneself is very important though, I agree with you there, however a trip abroad?? With all the stuff that is going on now in today's world, I think I'd have to fly on Air Force One itself in order to feel safe going abroad.

I understand people's obsession with wanting to save money and looking towards retirement. Maybe they are tired. Maybe they have worked for a very long time and really need a break, so all they think about is saving money so they can retire, but to deny themselves a bit of fun right now is kind of sad.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want treats from time to time, I want to enjoy the one thing we know we have for certain. This moment. I may not live to retirement age. I may lose my husband before then or something will happen and my retirement fund will disappear for whatever reason. I refuse to put more thought into something I don't know anything about, than into the moments I do have for sure.. I can't miss now for a maybe. I'll regret it later. So I don't care if I miss out on a new tv or a trip or this or that material item. I care if I miss out on my children being children or the youth my husband and I still have to enjoy each other fully. When the time comes, I'll likely be in trouble with no savings.. but things always work out and if, for whatever reason, they don't and I don't get to enjoy my later years fully.. well, at least I enjoyed life on my terms until then. I won't give up one for the other, I will do my best to play it by ear and make it work no matter the situation. There is no point to life if you only get to enjoy the tail end of it. What a waste. But.. most of us are forced to either live like that or not get to fully experience it from start to finish as way too many are working till their last breath now. It's sad.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about people from other countries but although the people here appear to be "obsessed with retirement," the working class actually likes to keep themselves busy. They love the struggle of working hard for the family and overcoming everyday obstacles. That they look forward to retirement is just a joke everyone wants to crack at work when the going gets tough. But I know for a fact that they'd rather be preoccupied over something than not do anything at all once they retire.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like that attitude. Work shouldn't be viewed as a necessary "evil." It's not. Those who delude themselves that retirement is all about draping oneself on a couch find out soon enough idleness isn't as great as they thought it would be. That realization compels them to find other things to do so they can keep themselves occupied most of the day. But unlike in the past when they were paid for what they did, this time round . . .

6. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    No. I think the only people who gets worked up when it comes to retirement are those that hate their job or don't like what they're doing. I love my job and I don't consider work as something I should do as a sacrifice for a better future, I think of it as something you do just to fill in for your downtime, but of course not all of us think that way.