Are You Planning On Dying Your Hair Soon?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by tasxx • Aug 15, 2015.

1. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I really want to dye my hair a blondish color before college starts up again but I'm afraid. I can't tell if I want to try it myself or if I should keep my hair the dark brown almost black color. I am a little bit afraid because what if I don't like the color or it doesn't come out how I want it to. Do you guys have any experience in at home hair dye and would you be willing to dye your hair a new color?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really wouldn't recommend doing this yourself. If your hair is dark, you're going to need some industrial strength bleach to lighten it. This is always best applied by a colorist. Otherwies, you risk ending up with a head full of ginger frizz.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed, going from dark to light isn’t advised at home. I’ve seen far too many people try to do it themselves and end up with a mess of damaged orangey hair. With hair like ours it takes a looooot of processing for a lighter color to come out right, and that’s best left to the pros. It may also take more than one appointment, so that’s something else to keep in mind.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I too would agree - going from dark to blond is best not undertaken at home - especially as - if it doesn't work out right you'd land paying way more than you saved - getting it corrected at a salon.

I do however have suggestion that might help save some money and that is - as dark to blond is quite a drastic change and there is also the regular cost of having the roots done to consider - as well the possibility that you if you don't like it there would be the extra expense of reverting back to dark - it may be worth having a few highlights put in around your face first - as doing that would give you an idea of whether you really would like the look of blond hair - or even better if you had access to them - you could always try on a few blond wigs - just to be absolutely sure.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @gata montes@gata montes about easing in with some highlights around your face, and also trying out some blonde wigs. I definitely wouldn't try going from dark brown/black to blonde at home. Fixing the outcome could be a lot more expensive and stressful than simply easing into the situation, or plunging in with the expectation that a good colorist is going to charge what s/he's worth, and there will be upkeep charges.

A less expensive option might be to go to a stylist school/college and have the process done there. The students are overseen (make sure you check out the reputations first), so there's probably going to be a better end result than if you'd done it yourself, and it will cost less than a full priced professional service. If you decide you love being blonde, later on, you can always transition to a professional, if you decide you can afford it.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually dye my hair once every couple months. I started doing it because I have a couple white hairs that are starting to bother me, but I find the perfect color to dye my hair with so I don't plan on stopping. It looks very flattering on me! I just died my hair last week, so I'll be maybe a month and a half still until I dye my hair again.

7. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I always dye at home but I always make sure to also get some hair treatments. If you are going from dark ro light you should do it gradually to avoide burning your hair. At the moment I haven't dyes my hair in a while but it's because I want to go wild color. I'm thinking of purple and aqua. I had purple ends once and it looked great but now I'm ready to try something out of my comfort zone. ;)

8. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

I recently dyed my hair red! I have always done my hair at home never got it done by others. I did have help from my mom doing the back where I couldn't see I have really thick long hair so I needed help. But yeah I did it and it came out exactly how I wanted it to I was very happy with the result. I would recommend dying your hair at home as long as you have someone to help get the spots you cant see.

9. mailen

mailenNew Member

Threads:
    I've always dyed my hair. And i'm OK with how it turns out because I'm into darker shades. But if you want a lighter one, like a blonde color I'd suggest you go to a salon or hairstylist. Because they can properly do the coloring for you. It's really hard to do it all by yourself. I just happen to be a little tightwad with it. I'm a mom so coloring my hair is not on my budget. So coloring your hair at home is just an option for people who wants to save. But if you want to get a beautiful blonde hair, i really suggest you go to a salon.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had no intention of dyeing my hair but when the grey strands began showing up, hmm, I wouldn't want to look that old. Now, look at my avatar, do I look old? Of course not, hahahaaa. I dye my hair once a month but sometimes I dye it twice a month when there is an occasion like a formal affair. It's not much for the looks but for the confidence that it gives me.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think you need to be careful with doing it yourself, because if you try to do this to save money, and then something goes wrong with it, you will then need to get it corrected anyway, which means that you're going to be spending even more money on it overall. Instead, you should try and find a mobile hairdresser with experience, as they are likely to charge less than a salon, but would still be able to give you what you need. Ultimately, you need to be very careful with your hair, and colouring can damage it so you need to consider it carefully before going for it.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No. Don't try to dye your hair at home or by yourself. Trust me. I have tried this several times believing that it will get better everytime. Nope. Didn't happen. I have black hair, and I wasted so many hair coloring products. Now, my hair is a mess.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have dyed my hair dark brown before when I was 13 years old, my dad just dyed it while he was dying his hair as well. Nowadays, I have starrted to have white hair, but even though they are getting many they are still hidden. One day when they become obvious I will dye my hair eventually.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if you have a very specific idea in your mind about how you want your hair to look, it might be a wise idea to go to a hair stylist and let him/her do the work, instead of experimenting at home. I have done it at home with natural, plant-based products, but it took me a while to get the right mixture together. I did get it wrong a few times and my hair had a brassy sheen for a couple of weeks, but thankfully it wasn't too strong to cause me any concern.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I wouldn't do it myself if I were you! I can always spot a "self administered dye job" and not to be harsh, but it never looks very nice. Plus it doesn't even last, and it gets to that horrible "not quite your original hair colour, not so dyed" stage where it just looks nasty. Also, with your hair being so dark, and wanting to go the extreme opposite, it'll sure take some doing. This one needs professional hands.

I've also been considering dyeing my hair for a while. However, I recently had some really gorgeous highlights, but they damaged my hair! They dried out my hair and made it so brittle that it was breaking. For that reason, I've been trying to look into Henna, as I hear it's kinder to hair. My only problem's that it seems to have only a couple of colours available.