Are You Still Smoking? Give It Up- You Will Save Lot Of Money

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ray1 • Mar 25, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We all know that smoking is one of the basic causes of cancer and most that suffer from it have either short life or could have lived longer if they were not smoking. My question is if you're still smoking and think about giving it up what would be the main reason- for saving money or saving your life?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I would say both. If you really go calculate the amount that people have spent over the years for cigarettes, you would be suprised to know that they could have actually bought a comfortable car for themselves.

Say roughly, a cigg pack cost $5.
    A chronic ciggarette smoker uses 15 packs in a month

$5 ×15 =$75 per month

He smokes for the past 10 years

$75 × 12= $900 per year x 10 = $9000

Nissan Versa S Sedan: $12,780 that's brand new cheapest car. If he goes for a second hand he gets way much cheaper deals!

So Mr. Chronic Smoker save cash, save your life and look rich! Quit Smoking.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady you reminded me of the story of a rich American who was smoking a Havana Cigar priced more than $70-80 each. An onlooker curiously asked how many cigar did he smoke in a day he said 5-6. The man said how long have you been smoking? He said 40 years. The onlooker calculated and said you could have owned that hotel across the road if you were not smoking. The man laughed and said I own that hotel and that earns me enough money to smoke so costly cigars.So it's not the money but your life is costlier at this point.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think smokers usually don't care about the money they spent on it. It is an addiction and they are ready to spend money on it even though they know that it is a waste of money and at the same time risking their lives. In our country after every financial budget sessions cigarette becomes costly due to rise in tax implications. But this does not prevent people from buying it . Same is the case with liquor too.

So I think saving on money can't be a major motivating factor to stop smoking. People usually stop this when it becomes a real threat to their lives but by that time it would be too late.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Is there any benefit derivable from smoking to the body? I certainly think the answer is a big NO. In my view it's just a waste of money and introduction of substances that's been certified harmful to the body. The slogan that smokers are liable to die young in good sense is enough to discourage persons from indulging in the act.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb Actually, the people have certain habits just for the sake of hiding their weakness and smoking, drugs and drinking are some of them. They overcome their guilty or inferiority complex under the influence of all these useless consumption. I think I know a person used to smoke each time he could not think or reach to a proper solution of a problem. It's nothing but sheer waste of money at the cost of their health.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a smoker since I was 16 and in my adult life, I was a heavy smoker who can finish one pack (20 sticks) of cigarette in a day and sometimes more. In 2007, it was like a miracle that I quit because of gas pains that scared me – I thought I was having a heart attack. A few years after, the price of cigarette had almost doubled. You can imagine the money I have saved by quitting smoking especially now that most public places are no smoking zones.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Well I think that health and saving money are both important and go hand in hand really. There is the beginning upfront costs of actually smoking...which is around $9 a pack here and if you smoke even half a pack a day, that translates to thousands of dollars over a year.

There is also the health aspect that you are risking cancer and a decreased life, as well as the health expenses for seeking treatment for smoking related health issues.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    My hubby is a smoker and I'm not. I've been telling him to quit smoking for the past 5 years and he just simply ignore me :( I've told him a million times that it's bad for his health and not only that, it's also a waste of money as we can save a lot if he'll stop smoking. He's spending almost $2 every 3 days for 2 packs of cigarette so most likely it's $20/month and $240/year. I don't know how to stop him, he told me that he will but up to now he wouldn't quit smoking :mad:

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail I gave up my smoking habit almost a decade back when a pack of 10 costed almost 60 cents and I used to smoke 3 packs a day. Now the same pack costs $1.50 each and I feel panicked at the mere thought of $4.50 a day going into smoke if I was still smoking. I have not only saved lot of money but my lungs as well.

#10Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 It's a good thing that you were able to quit smoking since I've known a lot of people who just can't kick the habit. Yeah quitting smoking will not only improve your health but will also help you to save a lot. I just hope my hubby will realize it sooner and will stop smoking.

#11Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    How to quit smoking puts smokers to a great dilemma and making them very difficult to stop smoking eventhough they are fully aware of the ill effects of smoking. In our place, everywhere you go you can people smoking except inside the movie houses and malls.

Why is it very hard for the smokers to get rid of their habit of smoking? That is why I am asking for in my case, I stop right away without any condition or something for reconsideration. My late father is a smoker. He even requested me to light his cigarette. But you know what I did, I lit it without smoking or putting it in my mouth.

I admit that I smoke twice or thrice as far as I could remember when I was a freshman. The last I smoked I felt something terrible in my stomach and I vomitted something that is too bitter. With that experience, I made up my mind never ever smoke again and I did. I am now 65 years.

13. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke but honestly, it's hard to resist the temptation these days. I know I will never be a smoker but there is one thing I want to try. Also, smokers tend to be way poorer than they should be. All the smokers I know are constantly buying cigarettes and it annoys me when I notice all the money being wasted by them.

14. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke, thankfully, but I have to admit that the temptation is there, specially at the workplace where smoking is taken like a 'fashion statement'. There was a time when I tried smoking and that was when I was new at work and a fresh grad. The older women at the office smoked like they were chimneys and I was impressed by the way they played with smoke in their nostrils. I thought that I had to smoke to feel like I belong to that 'smart and sophisticated' group of career women. Well, I've matured enough since then and I've learned to set my own standards.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, a person could waste a lot of money on stuff that isn't smoking related. Note, those things might not kill you, but they can drain your cash anyhow - assuming you don't know how to do things in moderation and/or get good deals. For instance, eating out can take up a huge chunk of money and so can gasoline. Can anyone name other ways to waste money that won't always kill your health?

There is often a lot of peer pressure to smoke. Smoking is seen as masculine and cool. Note, some workplaces are full of smokers.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 I think we all have some or the other bad habits which create holes in our pockets. By the way smoking is not limited with men but women are not far behind at least not where I live. Back in my country a lot of rural women smoke just for the fun of it or probably they think it's one of the ways of entertainment.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Taking it from another angle there are heavy restrictions on smoking in most places. For example in shopping malls, in the air plane and religious and social gatherings you dare not smoke. This shows that smoking is either harmful or an indecent act that should be prohibited at public places or meetings. It's like a passive appeal to smokers to desist from continuous indulgence in the act.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Talking about cigarettes really leads us nowhere because everyone knows and agrees smokers spend a lot of money with them, hurt their health, and the health of others. Do they stop smoking? No, despite all this, no because it's an addiction, and it's stronger than them... Sure, there are plenty of bad habits, but this is one of the worst!

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Thank God that kind of addiction I've never had (and I sincerely hope to never have).

I have some friends who are completely addicted to cigarettes. Some of them have already tried to quit, but they still have not succeeded. Seems to me to be a very complicated addiction to getting rid of. :(

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Obviously main reason will be saving the life and then saving the money. People are wasting lots of money for that and most important thing is risking the life.

I am happy that I have no such habits. But my close one is having such habit and he is trying too to left it. But as his habit is quite old (too many years) it is quite hard for him to left it. Hope he will able to get success one day.