Are You Still Smoking? Give It Up- You Will Save Lot Of Money

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ray1 • Mar 25, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm You are absolutely right as most of them will cut on other items but would not give up unless a serious situation arises. I feel that if more awareness programs were carried out on regular basis keeping money and health against smoking habit as the theme it can reduce number of smokers effectively. I think we have done enough keeping the campaigns based on health, now let's try it focusing money saving as main theme.

#21Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    The new E-cigs are better and healthier than regular cigarettes. I've been a heavy smoker for most of my life and I know that I would have a lot more things if I hadn't of wasted all that money. Because I am addicted I recently switched to E-cigs and I have found it to be a lot cheaper. I've switched because I started coughing too much. I still smoke a little but it is nothing in comparison to what it used to be, and my health is a lot better.

With E-cigs you can cut down the nicotine and ultimately cut out the nicotine altogether. Then it will be just the hand to mouth action that I need to stop.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Saving the life, not only ours, but also from those around us. If we just think that we are harming everyone, and what we could do with that money, it's just insane that there are still people smoking. Or seen from another perspective, it's simply the power of addiction.

#23Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Of course this is very good for your overall health, but I am still convinced that a lot more people would listen if they knew how much money they were actually wasting. It was pretty amazing when I thankfully gave it up.

5. janemariesayed

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update It is so very hard to stop smoking. I know the rules have come into place to assist people to stop or cut back by not allowing smoking in public buildings. I don't think people can be stopped smoking altogether, not this quickly anyway. It will take maybe 50 or 60 years or more. Some countries still allow smoking and in some countries, they joke saying it's compulsory to smoke!

Without the whole world having the same rules, people will still smoke. I've been smoking all my adult life, brought about by my Grandfather giving me snuff when I was a toddler. I had no chance to be a non smoker with an instilled addiction to nicotine from the age of 1.

E-cigs are helping me to cut back. Yet I have heard that youngsters of today are vaping and still building an addiction to nicotine which is in the E-cigs. Maybe the law should change to say that E-cigs are for over 18's or 21's only. Another law that would help is to disallow cigarettes to be brought back from other countries.

#25Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, stopping all together no of course, but slowly people will stop. I have my dad saying he will smoke until he is 120 (meaning he will never stop), and at the same time I have my kids asking why they have such scary pictures on cigarette packs, so slowly perception changes, and slowly habits will change too.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed Yes it is not that easy to leave the habit. And yes laws are too different for different places.

What is this E-cigs. I am hearing about it first time. I don't think I have seen them here at my place. Or I don't know about them yet. Is it kind of tool to stopping habit of smoking?

#27Apr 13, 2017
  8. janemariesayed

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 An E-Cigarette is an electronic cigarette which works by charging up a battery. You have a liquid which you can get in all kinds of flavours and strengths of nicotine, or even zero nicotine which you pour into the E-Cig. You puff on it like a normal cigarette only you are not breathing in smoke. What you are breathing in is vapour which of course is much better for your lungs.

They are more costly than a normal tailor made packet of cigarettes but that is only the initial outlay. They actually cost a lot cheaper in the long run. You can buy them in most supermarkets and stores that sell cigarettes. They range in prices as well with the obvious more expensive ones giving a better quality vape than the cheaper ones. If you wanted to try them out, I would recommend just buying a cheaper one at first to see if it works for you.

If you want to use them to quit, they are brilliant for this. As you can gradually lower the nicotine level until having none at all in the vape, then it is, like I said before, just the hand to mouth habit that one needs to stop.

Also, vaping E-Cigs are very new. We don't yet know of long term effects that vaping could have on our bodies. I have thought sometimes that they could cause plurisy after years of use but that is something that will come to light yay or nay in a few decades!

#28Apr 13, 2017
  9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed That's something new for sure. I don't know if it is available here. But it must be available, I will checkout for sure.

Personally I don't smoke at all. So it is not for me. But I know one close one who can use this to leave out smoking habit. At least it is better than those cigars and other product like it. And it is also good that it is available in different flavor so that one can enjoy the one he like. Thanks for the info.

#29Apr 14, 2017
  10. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    I agree, smoking is one the most destructive and unhealthy habits not to mention that a lot of money is wasted on nothing much than a smoke.
    but I also must warn that, tobacco is a great stimuli which has propelled a lot of men to do great things.
    besides, tobacco puts food in the for thousands of families worldwide and is a big contributor to worlds economy.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think one of the reasons that make people take to smoking is boredom and association with those already into smoking. To blend in as friends they take to smoking which at the beginning may not be pleasant to them. They forced themselves on it and with time get addicted. Gradually withdrawing back can help stop smoking but trying to do so at once maybe futile.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to smoke when I was younger, around 11 to 17, then I stopped simply because I just don't feel like it anymore. I also enjoyed the money that I got to save by not buying them. The last time that I smoked was 7 years ago, and luckily, I never had any cravings, since I'm not addicted to it.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I know of persons who usually smoke a 20-pack of cigarettes daily. Imagine if they stop smoking how much money they would save and the how they could be prolonging their life cycle and it makes me wonder why is it so difficult for them to realize the benefits that would be derived if they stop smoking.

14. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    Saving your life, indeed. During my first year in med school, in our anatomy class, I saw a heavy smoker's lungs. It was shrunken and black. While some tissue parts healed, most were damaged permanently. So, from then on, I stopped smoking.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm I agree with this because my sister gave up smoking after many years just one year ago. She was taken into hospital with pneumonia and they discovered she had a lung abscess. When they scanned her they also discovered she had breast cancer. She gave up immediately but had she not become seriously ill she would definitely have carried on. She says she is so much better off financially now but a shame it had to come to this before she gave it up.

#35May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  16. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke but I work in an office where everyone smokes so it is really annoying for me to deal with. I do feel the financial ease of not needing smoke because I see how much money my smoking friends spent. I can also imagine their medical bills in the future.

17. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I would admit saving money would be my top priority. When I got really sick with a terrible cold, I couldn't smoke at all, and I was surprised at how much extra money I had in my change purse that week. Ever since then, I never really went back to smoking the amount I did before I was sick, and I'm still saving money just by cutting down so much. But sure, saving my life in the process is an added bonus. :) Truth be told, I don't really want to live all the way up to my 80's or 90's... just lots of health problems, doctor appointments, tests, x-rays, procedures, surgeries, etc., whether you smoked or not, you end up with complications when you get a lot older, I watched it happen to both of my Grandparents and I saw the fear in my Grandmother's eyes with every health scare. It just really made me a bit scared of living to an old age.

So if anyone is still smoking and you just can't quit, there's always the option of cutting down. It really isn't as difficult as you think. Sometimes I just pretend I'm locked up in a basement during an emergency, like if we had a major war or something and we were all stuck somewhere for months and we only had so many cigarettes to last us. When you think that way, you can trick your mind into hanging onto them more than smoking them. Also, the cheapest cigarettes are usually at party stores, I've noticed that grocery stores, especially grocery store gas stations really ^UP^ the price of them.

#37May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I was luckily able to quit the habit a couple years back and to be honest it was less about the health and more the money, and you are correct it saved me a bundle. When you add it up all of those trips are killing the budget.

19. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, my husband and I both smoke....about a pack per day-combined. Now that we are in our forties, the damage is beginning to show in our everyday activities. I personally rely on smoking as a crutch in times of great stress. I believe that 75 % of the American population smoke to help deal with stress!

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Shana Peckover@Shana Peckover I agree with you that most smokers smoke to get relieved from stress but in fact smoking only increases stress. I used to smoke 25-30 cigarettes a day but when I stopped smoking almost 13 years before I stopped in just one day. I never felt like smoking again and the benefit I got (money and health) is immense.