Are You Tired Yet?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Jasmine2015 • Nov 28, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I know that it can be very tiresome trying to prepare of the holiday season. If you are not cleaning out junk from last year then you have a list to prepare for all the big dinners. Then if you are not shopping for food you are shopping for gifts. I have heard of people camping outside of a store for days just to get one item on sale. They sit in chairs, tents and I saw one man laying in boxes.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am already tired and I do not have half of the things done that I need to. There is a lot of shopping, baking, and decorating that I still have to do. I am waiting until next week to get a lot of it dine because I am taking a week off of work.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I am a little tired, from hosting family get togethers over Thanksgiving weekend and from traveling to see family members. However, I am glad to have been able to spend time with family. I am looking forward to things slowing down when the work week starts again. I like having and keeping a regular routine. I still have some Christmas shopping to do, not to mention decorating and wrapping presents, however, I really enjoy those activities.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    well, I spent the day shopping which was pretty good. I think I got some very good buys. However, one of the stores I shop at is Costco...and even though they have some outstanding purchases, you have to know prices to get a deal, and also the purchases can add up quickly there, so you have to be cognizant of what you are putting in your cart.

5. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    To be honest I take a lot of time to do this kind of things, so I don't get stressed. I usually do some buys on different days while doing my everyday shopping, and I also enjoy a lot staying near my family, so that's not a problem for me.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I get tired now that I'm older of spring cleaning. Shopping is okay with me for the holidays. We're not the party givers, so we just relax and enjoy the holidays. The holidays signal the end of the year and Japanese people have a big thing going on for the New Year's celebration. Not only do we get the celebratory food and drinks, we have to prepare for the house amulet to be taken down and bring the new one home from omairi or shrine hopping for thanks for the past year and welcoming the New Year and blessings for the New Year too. We get our yearly protective holy amulets from church, got to have our special foods like 7 vegetable dish called umani that includes meat or nishime a meatless dish plus ozoni a special must have dish for the New Years with mochi. We have to get mochi for our home, car and other places of importance like businesses that we decorate our mochi and tangerine or an orange for the coming year good luck. We have to have at our front door side our Kadomatsu that we leave up for 7 days then we discard it wrapping it up carefully so no one steps on it. So aside of the holidays we Japanese have all these things to prepare and get ready for too. It's a custom we carry on from generation to generation. You can see most of the celebratory decorations at some Japanese temples in your area as well.
    japanese-new-year-decoration-kadomatsu-big.
    image is from muza-chan.net and this is one type of Kadomatsu.
    kadomatu_1.JPG
    image is from

and this is a house Kadomatsu that's very elaborate.
    [​IMG] image is from

and is a typical Kagami Mochi set with the tangerine that we put at business, inside our homes like atop the refrigerator.
    [​IMG] image from

right now under construction.) This is nishime with 7 different kinds of vegetable with a shoyu base soup. There are many different kinds of nishime or if you'd like meat added it's called umani for New Year's menu.
    More about Japanese New Years foods and decorations can be found in countless

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am tired but I am very grateful to be tired. Thanksgiving Day lasted latter than normal. It was a very happy family gathering. with lots of good food. We did hang a few Christmas decorations but nothing serious yet. This year we will have a live tree instead of the old fake one, we also need new decorations for the tree so we will be busy shopping soon.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am tired, but it's my own fault for trying to take on too much. Since I was able to finish my Christmas shopping early, by shopping online, I decided to start some projects around the house. The place needs some updating, and I wanted to do a little refresh before we have everyone over for Christmas.

I DIY as much as possible to save money, but I should have focused on one thing at a time, instead of starting lots of projects at once. Now, I have a lot to tackle besides the usual stuff. I'll get there, but next time I'll slow down a little. :)