Are You Very Particular About Buying Organic Vegetables And Fruits?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by luckycharm • Jan 4, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    As we are becoming more health conscious these days, use of poisonous pesticides is a real challenge before us. I think the best way is to grow our own vegetables and fruits and use them. But this may not be feasible in all cases and we are forced to buy them from open market.

I think there are two types of shops - one that sells general vegetables and fruits at reasonable price and another one that claims to have pure organic vegetables and fruits. But the items are too pricey to buy it on a regular basis. I often buy vegetables and fruits from general stores as they are within my budget.

I use a special liquid to get rid of pesticides on it. Also I eat fruits and vegetables only after peeling the skin.

Are you a frequent shopper of organic products and how particular are you about its purity?

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be 100% organic vegetables, fruits and even meat buyer, but from a certain point on I could no longer afford it, and I made the switch to regular products. I do feel a big difference, but at the same time I cannot enjoy that life style anymore. Whenever I see a good promotion I do take advantage of it. ;)

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy many fresh vegetables and fruits from the stores whenever I do shopping. I don't know about the pure organic vegetables and fruits, or the general vegetables and fruits. What I always ensure I do is wash my vegetables and fruits thoroughly to remove any chemical that might have followed it before consumption.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with the notion that food is fresh regardless of its origin. Organic food may be the best for our health but I cannot say that non organic food is bad for us. What’s peculiar with organic farm products is the high price. Right now, I am not conscious of that organic thing because I might be buying an organic fruit that is not really organic because we do not have an assurance that they are purely organic. As long as the farm produce I buy is fresh, that’s good enough for me.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Every Saturday is our market day. There are lots of farmers selling their produce from vegetables to fruits. My wife is used to buying them every Saturday and some of those stuffs if not consumed for that or so are kept in the fridge. I know those food stuffs are not treated with chemicals for they are not sold commercially.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    You are lucky to have a market with fresh food, and if we get to know the producers that is even for the best. But this doesn't mean the products are organic, as we don't know how they produce them. Sometimes they can put chemicals in and say they are organic, but without the stamp we never know.

7. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I am not very particular about buying organic. When ever I find organic, I buy organic produce, however, when I don't find organic, I buy anything that is available. Sometimes, I don't buy organic because buying organic will increase my ill by 100 percent.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I must accept that we are worst off as far edibles including vegetables are concerned. There is no guarantee of any food item that is pure or original or have no contamination. Even the vegetable growers are using artificial METHODS OF GROWING THEM BIGGER with use of injection. Use of chemicals and pesticides besides the colors to look them fresh some other reasons which are making a big difference n consumers health.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Organic offers a warranty of being better @Ray1@Ray1, that's why they are more expensive. The soil has all the original components, low or no pollution, and that reflects on the quality of what is grown there, If this wasn't enough, when we taste organic food, we immediately feel the difference in the flavor and in the boost of energy we receive.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Having a garden will be one very good source to having pure organic vegetables and fruits one really needs. This way you can be sure you are not getting food stuffs with over use of pesticides while growing them. Again you are sure of abundance supply of fresh fruits and vegetables.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree ! Having your own garden is the very best way to have produce that you know is picked fresh and no chemicals have been used when growing it except what you yourself used.
    Several years ago, we rented a house that was next to a farm that grew soybeans, and there was no fence in between. One day, my little dog had crossed over into the soybean field, and when I saw him, I called him back again.
    Apparently, they had recently sprayed that field because afterwards, Chipper got very sick and the vet almost was not able to save him. He thought that Chipper had somehow been poisoned, but we had no idea how it might have happened.
    It was not until a long time after that I remembered him running off into the soybean field, and I have come to believe that the insecticide chemicals that they had sprayed on the foliage is what almost killed my beloved little dog.
    So, I definitely think that even if you do not get organically grown foods because of the price, it is important to try and buy locally grown produce where you can ask about pesticides that were used .

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that being a PR holder of Australia and living their for few years in phases. But back in my country we have yet to achieve this status in most of our 30+ states. We have so far converted only two of our states into fully organic ones but rest of the states are too far behind. Probably the large number of population forces us to grow more with every possible way.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not particular about organic produce. I buy whatever appears fresh and reasonable to me.

There was a time that living healthy was the only option for humans then technology got to us. Now we are struggling to go back.

The cost of organic food (not really guaranteed) for a family for 2 days may suffice for non organic items for a week and so, I would stick with cost saving.

14. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I am not too picky when it comes to vegetables and fruits. If it's fresh then I would definitely buy it. But since we have a large lot, we plant some vegetables so we would not need to buy them. We do have squash and eggplant that are grown without pesticide.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    The fact that there are countries that are fully organic is a big surprise to me, in what country is that? I thought most countries have organic production, but not entire states that have it! Is the government that makes that happen?

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is no country in the world which is totally organic but two of our states have been converted to fully organic stage Sikkim and HP. WE are trying to convert more Himalayan states into organic like Uttrakhand and Kerala. down south As far my mention of Australia there are number of sores selling organic products.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I go for the most affordable options so organic is out of mine. I don't even know if they are 100% organic anyway so I tend to skip them. I have bought organic before but now I can't afford to buy everything organic. Maybe in the future I will buy them again but will have to make sure they are organic or if it's just a label.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty great that full states have become organic, I do wonder what are the motivations behind that, is it a matter of profit of something more philosophical? I wish the whole world could go biological, as we could only win by eating healthier things.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually most of our hill states situated in Himalayan region have very low population compared to rest of the country and most of the people living in these states depend on farming. So to get better price for their products the local governments are concentrating infusing new ideas and lesser dependency on outside sources for increasing the produce and their quality.

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man, the Himalayas have to be one of the most beautiful regions in the world, and not having much population I am guessing it would be easier to implement organic production. What lower outside sources do you mean to increase quality and production @Ray1@Ray1?