Are You Willing to Pay for Facebook?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Amanda K • Oct 7, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    There was a hoax article claiming Facebook would start charging $2.99 per month that circulated a few weeks ago. For now, the service is remaining free. However, the rumor made me think about how valuable Facebook is to me. I would opt out if they charged $2.99. It's not just about the fee. Facebook already knows too much about me. I don't want them to have my credit card information, too. Would you keep using Facebook if they started to charge?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I am not currently on Facebook so this wouldn't affect me, but if I was I think the fee is nominal and would probably keep my account. I do think you bring up a good point though about how much information Facebook would then have on you. I wonder if they would do all of the payment processing through Paypal or some other large payment processor to give some legitimacy to the practice.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't because there are plenty of other services and if Facebook did start to charge people will stop using it and move on. I don't think the company would risk something like that when their business model is very profitable right now. It wouldn't make sense.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    If Facebook starts charging for subscription, I would opt out. I mean there are so many social media sites out there that are better than Facebook. Anyway, I don't think Facebook will do this because they know that many people will delete their accounts. Imagine the loss of profit!

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I definitely wouldn't.

There are just way too many other ways to connect online and you know another option would pop up immediately to fill its place. Heck, there already are. Ello is the big one right now that is promising to leave off ads, etc.

6. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, facebook is not really free if you think about it. Soundcloud was a great hosting website that ended up changing it's policy and began charging customers, so it is not unlikely for a site like facebook to the same. I am sure that there are already making money off of users through many different ways. All the information hosted on their servers is valuable to someone. Marketing companies are primarily the sharks that come to mind, and I know that they will do anything to get into people heads. The idea is not too far fetched, but it is a very good possibility.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, but a friend told me they charge to message someone not in your network for it to go into their normal in box as he was trying to build up contacts. There is a secondary mail box for other mail from people who are not your friends that some people do not know about and that's where all other messages go and you don't get notified of those.
    There is so much advertising now and privacy restrictions have been lifted or modified, we pay for it in other ways.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Facebook, because so many sites use it for logging in, but I hate Facebook. If they start charging, I'll just stick to Twitter. I don't care enough about Facebook to pay for it.

9. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I have such a love/hate relationship with Facebook. It makes me miserable sometimes between the sad news shares and the gloating, it's full of people I talked to once seven years ago or so but don't have the heart to delete, and the marketing is creepy. They have used my location several times for target marketing, and maybe it's a coincidence and I'm just paranoid, but there have been instances where I was talking about a product and it miraculously showed up as a suggested post soon after. However, so many businesses have pages only on Facebook, and so many people have Facebook that it is easy to plan events. My 20th high school reunion (ack!) is being planned on Facebook. I would possibly be willing to pay $.99 a month if there was an option to not have my bank information saved in the FB database. I would never do auto-withdrawals for the site.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd like to see them try. They'd lose most of their users overnight. $2.99 a month! Just for the sake of argument, supposing they actually started charging the said fee, they'd be committing suicide. People would look elsewhere for alternatives. G+, anyone? It may not necessarily be a site that has been in business. It's the age of the smartphone. Change is just an app away . . .

11. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I don't even use Facebook anymore. It just annoys me. I remember reading once that it's basically a highlight reel of other people's life, and that's exactly what it is. Unless you have a critical reason for using the service, you'll get bored of it eventually. So in short if they charged, it would certainly be all it takes for me to finally delete my account.

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    That will never happen...ever! but let's say the impossible does happen and Facebook begins the charge a fee for use of the website per month.The moment Facebook does that, is the moment all and I mean all of the Facebook subscribers would vanish, I surely would. Let's examine some of the popular uses of Facebook to first see whether it is likely to bring it's subscribers back should Facebook levy a charge and lose membership numbers. One use of Facebook is to keep in contact with friends and by that, we post pictures, posts, videos and other things, hmmm, we have WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, Viber and many more apps that perform some of the same functions as keeping us in touch with friends. Another use of Facebook is to locate places, that is, we came across some stores or businesses in our area that provides us with some of the things we need, hmmm...Foursquare does that too! oops, that's all the reasons that I ever hear and see why people use Facebook, with that said, it is safe to conclude that if Facebook is bold enough to try that ( I know it's a rumor but let's behave like it isn't) everybody would leave Facebook. Simple.

13. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    The biggest pull towards facebook is that it's free. I don't even pay for the upgraded version of Linked-In, which is much more important in the professional world.

14. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Well since that would equal out to $36+ after a year, I would have to say that I wouldn't stay with Facebook. I signed up when it was free and I will only stay with it because I'm not being charged. There are plenty of social networking sites that I can switch to. I'm not loyal to Facebook. I won't even upgrade to other premium sites that I use. If I won't pay for premium Spotify (which I use ALL the time) then I'm not going to pay for Facebook.

15. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Same here! I really only use it for games that I play, that's about it. I never post on mine and I pretty much ignore everything else that happens on my timeline. I have the numbers of everyone on my friends list (and I've cut that to 14) so I don't need or use Facebook much now.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Really? Well, i think it's not worth it at all. Anyways, I recently deactivated my Facebook account because people are just getting ridiculous everyday it's painful to watch. There are way too many social media sites these days so why stay in one that charge you, so not worth it. I hope twitter will stay free forever though because this is actually my favorite social media site. ;P

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    No way would I ever pay to use a social media website, no matter how much I liked using it. I don't pay for entertainment more than a couple of times a year at most. I just don't have the money and I think it's a waste when there is so much free entertainment out there between the library and the radio and all the actual free stuff online. I don't trust facebook anyway. I used to use it a lot when I was in college, then left for a few years, went back for a couple days and couldn't stand it and am back off again.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, why would I pay a social media site just to socialize? In the first place, I use it to be able to communicate with friends, distant family members and colleagues. Now, if you add cost into the mix, that would impair the efficient flow of communication between and among people. Facebook would ultimately lose its meaning not just for me but for most of us here who hold this Zuckerberg creation in high regard.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have deleted my fb account three times over the years. I was very reluctant with opening the account that I have now. It's only for staying in touch with family and friends and minimum exchange of information. I also use it as a profile for people who are interested in my art work. To be honest, I can't stand facebook and look forward to the day when I can completely erase my account and never look back again. I would definitely never pay a cent to them.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have deleted my fb account three times over the years. I was very reluctant with opening the account that I have now. It's only for staying in touch with family and friends and a minimum exchange of information. I also use it as a profile for people who are interested in my art work. To be honest, I can't stand facebook and look forward to the day when I can completely erase my account and never look back again. I would definitely never pay a cent to them.