Are You Willing To Wait, If It Means Cheaper Shipping?

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Zyni • Sep 12, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obviously, overnighting things is going to be expensive. There are a number of different companies, and options, and rates that you can choose from though, when it comes to shipping.

Do you find yourself buying things impulsively or at the last minute and then having to pay an arm and a leg for shipping? Are you careful to try to shop in advance, so you have the time to wait and can use the cheaper shipping rates?

I have Prime right now for Amazon, but if I shop elsewhere, I try to shop early if possible. Then I'm not rushed and not feeling the crunch to pay extra for faster shipping.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We bought a refrigerator last weekend for my nephew in the province. Since it was a hot day, we had wanted to bring home the refrigerator. But for the free delivery, we have to wait for a couple of days at least. However, there is an option for a special delivery that will take just an overnight of waiting. And since my nephew was excited with the refrigerator, we got a taxicab and brought home the appliance. It's cheaper that way than paying for special delivery.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will wait if it means free or cheaper shipping. The only time I would pay is if there was a huge discount or if the shipping cost was a flat rate regardless. I never need things urgently so I have never been in that situation, but I do like to choose whether it is tracked or not, and if I have to pay a little more for tracking then I will do.

4. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    I would definitely be willing to wait if it means that the shipping will cost less. I am a sucker for saving a buck or two here and there. Usually when I buy things online. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get them.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow! Cheaper to bring a refrigerator home in a taxi? That's crazy. :D

I'm glad you were able to manage it and get a lower price.

I know a lot of people who pay more simply because they want things in a hurry. I guess it's just not worth it to me. I can see paying a bit extra for tracking, @Theo@Theo, depending on the item, where it's coming from, and where it's going (like if I shipped something directly to my mother instead of having it sent here). As long as the cost isn't too crazy, I think it's worth it to have peace of mind.

I have to admit that sometimes, time gets away from me. I find myself ordering later than intended, but for the most part, I try to order with more than enough time to utilize the cheaper shipping.

6. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on how soon I need the product. Sometimes the extra money to have something you need sooner, like a plug for a computer or an appliance. But if it's something fun like a cd or poster, I'm willing to wait. I once waited a month just so I could avoid paying five dollars on shipping. I hate waiting but I hate wasting money too.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have never paid for express shipping. I also have Amazon Prime, so we usually get the free 2-day shipping. If it is something that we need; but not right away, then I will often opt for the slower shipping and get credit that I can use for a book instead.
    Because I can usually find everything I need either on Amazonor locally, we really do not shop online any place else. Now and then, I have ordered from Walmart online, and usually picked it up at the store, because that is free shipping then, too.
    When we got the swimming pool, it was expensive enough to qualify for free shipping, so we had that delivered to our home and didn't have to struggle with trying to get it in and out of our car to get it home.
    So, unless it was something we desperately needed and couldn't get otherwise, we would never pay for expedited shipping costs.

8. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy things online, but when I do I prefer to wait if I can't get free shipping. I always try to qualify for free shipping even if it's not always possible. The only exception is when I buy textbooks for my classes. In that case, I still don't choose the express shipping, but I also don't choose the least expensive one.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying that refrigerator was almost a whim, we decided just like that and went to the mall. After settling the payments, that's when we thought about how to bring it home. It was a 4.3 cubic feet personal refrigerator Kelvinator brand which we got for only $200 at a good discount. It's a good thing that the appliance store attendant had suggested for us to take a taxi, he said that fridge can fit the back of the SUV taxi. And we were glad that it did. Can you imagine the pending excitement to wait for a day for the delivery of a new appliance?

10. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    In Thailand, you can order anything from Bangkok, the capital city, and have it delivered the very next day. There are buses, trains and planes servicing every part of the country. So expecting overnight delivery does not cost extra.

Would I wait if I can save some money? Of course. I am not talking about slower deliveries. I am talking about waiting for the price to drop before buying. I particularly remember a Samsung Note 8 which I bought for about 30% off the list price. I saw it in a showroom when it was advertised with a 10% discount because it was a showroom model. There was nothing wrong with it at all. And they offered a warranty, too. However, I still waited. After one month, the same unit was still there in the showroom. I went in and asked for a bigger discount. I told them that I had seen that unit sitting there unsold for one whole month. In the end, I got what I wanted, for 30% less.

11. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    i never pay for express shipping, I actually don't care at all when it comes as long as it's within one week because then I will get frustrated. I almost spent $1,000 dollars on a bunch of shoes on a Chinese website, and the shipping was supposedly more than 4 weeks by default, I can't do that.

Plus if they don't ship the order because of a scam then I couldn't get my money back anyway. If it's something that I really need, then I'll pay the extra.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if you shop in advance for things like birthdays and holidays then you don't have to worry about rush shipping on stuff. I don't mind the wait if it's just something I want.

That's another good point, @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady, about the free shipping to the store. I've done that a few times as well. Why pay to have it sent to your home if you can pick it up for free? I mean, as long as you are going to go to that store at some point anyway, why not go that route? Sometimes, you even get better deals if you shop (and pay) online and then go pick it up at the store. It's weird, but it has happened a couple times.

It's also a good way to make sure they have what you want before you drive all the way there, so you don't waste gas money. Check the website first.

13. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought some whey milk that is from Auguson Farms; but it was actually cheaper to buy the whey milk from Walmart and then pick it up at the store than to buy t direct from Auguson Farms and then pay shipping. We go to Walmart anyway, so it was not out of the way to do that.
    I think that it is just always good to check around and find the best deal on price and shipping and then order.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love free shipping, don't you...I wait till I have enough money at amazon for the free shipping and buy and get it at Oahu with free shipping, yipee! Some other places like Walmart has free shipping when you spend over an amount...both sites went up, so I won't put the exact price amt. for free shipping...none the less they both have free shipping with a certain amount and I love it! At amazon I've found that the manufacturer has good prices and free shipping, this may take like a month, but it's free shipping best deal ever.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I ca, I think, I'm willing to wait more time as long as this guarantess I'll find a good deal. This applies more for leisure goods than any other thing, perhaps 3 t 6 months is fair enough to stumble across several bargain sales locally.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am willing to do a lot of things if it means getting something for significantly cheaper. It all depends on how much that you can save though, and it is nice when you can get things faster when you order online. I am not the most patient person, though, so maybe that is playing a role here.

17. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really mind waiting for shipping.
    My stuff usually gets here faster than expected anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

18. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Just curious. How long would you consider to be a reasonable shipping time? Three days? One week? It should be quite fast nowadays. When I was a child, I remember ordering something from Reader's Digest and it took about a month to arrive.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good question, @Aree Wongwanlee@Aree Wongwanlee. I guess (for me) it really depends on what the item is and what I need it for. Generally, if it's for a gift, I try to order as much in advance as possible. As long as it is here by the intended date, it's all good.

If I'm shopping for clothes or something like that, I'd probably like to see it within a week, I guess. I've waited longer for some things, but I'm not a big fan of waiting either. The longer it takes the more I find myself feeling concerned that something could have gone wrong. When you can track it though, it's not that big of a deal to me.

Some stuff comes really fast even without pricey shipping; other stuff not so much. I once waited several weeks for an item I bought for my daughter. I think it came from China or something, but they didn't make that clear ahead of time.

20. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There are some factors to consider if I would choose to wait for cheaper shipping costs. One specifically is the cost of the item and cost of shipping the item. If they total more than I'm willing to pay then my answer is no. If the shipping cost is a fraction of the cost of the item I'm buying then yes. I like flat rate shipping/delivery cost too but sometimes they can be expensive.