Are You Willing To Walk Instead Of Commuting To Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Aug 19, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live near many malls and convenience stores, and the nearest mall is 10 to 15 mins. away if I walk slowly. If I commute, I'm there in 1 or 2 minutes. So before, I commute on my way there and I just walk when I go home. But since I badly need exercise because I'm already gaining weight, then I am now just walking when I go there as well, even if I don't perspire as I walk. So my question is are you willing to just walk so that you can save gas or fare?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The bus in my area runs each way once every hour so if you miss the bus you have the choice of not going or waiting an hour. I choose to walk most of the time. I can walk to the Post Office and back which is 4.5 miles round trip while I am waiting on the bus. When I don't feel like walking that far I will ride one way and walk the other way. The bus drivers are use to seeing me walk. Some times I will say that I can save that $1 it cost to get on the bus and walk, I need my money more than the bus company does.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't walking a form of commuting, though? You're going from point A to point B after all. I'm not a fan of walking anymore because I spent a lot of my teen years walking three to six miles every day. Now that I have a car, I'm unwilling to switch back to my old ways. It's a great way to stay in shape and save some cash, but it's not something that I personally want to do ever again. I'll walk places if need be, sure. I won't change my regular commuting method, though.

4. Gloryontheway

GloryonthewayNew Member

Threads:
    That is really great that you can walk in such a short time to shopping areas without needing a car or a bus. I wish I lived that close to a mall. I live in a rural area and it takes me thirty minutes by car to get to the closest mall. Walking is also very good for you, especially if you are starting to put on weight. It would also make you feel really good walking as much as you can. One day you are going to find that the walking may have caused you to drop down a size. Now that would be nice.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If walking were an option for me, I would do it. But I live pretty far out in the sticks and the nearest supermarket is a 10-15 minute drive away. And my current workplace is about a 20-30 minute drive, or longer if there’s school traffic to contend with. If I lived nearer I would consider relying on walking, biking, and/or buses… but then again, there’s inclement weather to contend with. Lately I’ve been pretty thankful for my car for that reason, haha.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is ironic that our country is a poor one but people here wouldn't walk far. We have here the so called tricycle and pedicab that ply the street for people to ride on for short distances. Even a 200 meter walk is saved by those tricycles - a motorcycle with side car, and the pedicab - a bike with a sidecar. In the US, I understand that people walk for short distances.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would always choose to walk unless I was wearing high heels or an outfit that was not easy to walk in. I often used to walk in a suit to work and even when I lived 2.5 miles from the supermarket I would walk there and back.

I like to walk and besides being good exercise, it's time for myself. Yes, it saves money, but also I time things so I don't rush either. Money wise for short distances it's not worth it unless it's raining or you are too tired to walk, for example early in the morning, or if it's dangerous and dark. Sometimes I have had to come home late at night and it's not worth the risk of walking if you are tired and not alert.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I actually love walking. My son and I walk everyday around our village. We have a nearby market that we go to when we need to buy fruits or veggies. Sometimes we walk farther up to his cousin's house so he can play with him. I attribute my weight loss to our walking regimen. I am such a lazy person before and I hate sweating actually lol but I never gained weight then. But when I got pregnany and gave birth I just cannot get my old body back. Just by walking, I was able to return to my previous body size!

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this whenever I know I don't have to be clean and fresh for wherever it is I'm going to next. If I'm meeting someone then I'd be much more inclined to favor convenience over saving and exercising but if it's somewhere I wouldn't mind being a little tired and sweaty then I would actually sometimes prefer saving some cash and just walk instead. I also do this whenever the distance I'd be walking is short enough and I'd rather just save the money for buying a little something like a snack or an accessory.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, There are no tricycles in the US, but if ever there were, I'm sure it would be a hit, because it would cater to people who don't want to walk. My uncle who lives there said that cars are cheap there as well, so mostly everyone can afford it, so I think that's why they only have buses, trains, and taxis.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily for me I don't need to go far to buy the things I need. The stores which sell their stuff cheapest in my hometown are less than a mile away from where I live. I always prefer to walk over. It's more convenient too because finding a parking spot is almost impossible since a lot of people come over to shop so they can save money.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney, when my husband was in the US, he would be walking 1 kilometer to the bus stop at 5 am to be in time for work at 8 am. He said that walking in the US is common. But here, if you are walking that means you have no money for the fare, hahahaaa. Maybe it is the weather because if you walk here, you easily sweat and the pollution will stick to your clothes.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a large city in which we also have such tricycles and pedicabs (called here motor/bike-taxis) but also we have one of the largest subway system network, trolleys, private and public buses, regular taxis, Uber taxis, free buses in college areas, two "light" train systems, articulated motor buses, eco-bikes for individual transportation and more

So while there is quite easy take any of these transportation options any time of the day, I prefer to walk as much as possible even if it takes me several hours go from one place to another. Just early this morning I went aboard the subway to a station that is 3 walking hours from here, and I know this because when I got there (for no reason at all) I though to be "cool" discovering if Google Maps is accurate.

If you flag two point in Google maps and check for directions, you can choose "walking time" and directions says that place is 1 hour 22 walk-minutes from here. I didn't believe it and having nothing better to do on that day, I walked the whole way for a total time of 3 hours 16 minutes, so Google lies ;)

14. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    If it only takes me 15 minutes to get to the place I want to be, I would defiantly walk. Waiting on the bus takes too long, and there is a chance your bus may take 15 minutes. Its easier to predict your timing when you are on your feet.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, Haha you're so right. I also do not like walking in the main street, only inside our village, since it's not that polluted. 3rd world countries can be so judgemental, maybe because over here the people who can afford to buy brand new or 2nd hand cars are of above average income. You can't get a loan or credit card if you are just an entry level employee like a bank teller. @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, I would have collapsed after walking for more than an hour, lol. Last month I was looking for an ATM that wasn't offline, and after walking for an hour in the mall, my legs felt like they were falling apart, haha. Maybe Googe should just count the number of steps instead of estimating the time so that it would be more accurate.

16. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    So true @sidney@sidney, knowing the number of steps would be a more accurate way to know how distant a place is really, what brings to my mind a campaign that rewards you for a given-number of steps you walk as a way to encourage exercising.

Not sure, I think it's Ciel or similar bottled water company the one behind such campaign.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, I think they ought to hire someone to walk to the locations using a pedometer. There are lots of free ones in Google Play. I tried counting my steps manually before from my house to the mall, I think the distance is around 200 steps. Counting your steps can make walking seem fun.

18. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    Ah! Thank for the tip :)

I have seen pedometers for sale at some stores, not that costly, but yet not being able to buy any for one reason or another.

I didn't know about those apps, but for certainly I will download one of them to start the fun because I like a lot and sometimes I'm curious to count my steps, but I use to find distractions in my way that make me lose the count, LOL

As for Google, yes! They should hire someone to count the steps, and they should count me in for this job... but obviously hoping to get paid :D

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a very good idea on paper, but wouldn't quite work for me as I live quite far from my work place. The commute by public transport takes about an hour. If I were to walk it, I'd never make it in time. I'd have to seriously power walk and would arrive a sweaty, hot mess LOL Luckily, I do have a little bit of walking to and from the bus station and in between stops and my office. It's still not enough exercise for me, but it's better than nothing.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, My old Sony Ericsson phone had a built-in pedometer, but it doesn't seem to count my steps, lol. By the way, have you tried joining those campaigns that give prizes? If yes then what are they giving away? I assume cash or gift packs?