Are You Willing To Walk Instead Of Commuting To Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Aug 19, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was working in retail, in a shop that was about forty minutes walking distance from where I lived, I would have actually prefered to have walked instead of catching the bus there. But that just wasn't practical, so I had to go with the bus. But if the walking was more time friendly, I would have definitely walked there, to avoid the sin that is public transport.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I'm from it takes about 7 minutes to drive almost everywhere. So I grew up walking. 10-15 minutes is absolutely nothing and it's good for you too. If it were a much bigger hike, I'd be more apt to use a bike or something. More about the exercise than saving money; I'm pretty low maintenance as it is lol.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Why do you consider public transport to be a sin? I don't think I could walk for 45 minutes though. My legs will require a break after 30 minutes, unless it was a really slow walk. lol.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is why I like to walk to work. I'm never late as my journey takes the same length of time every day and is never held up by traffic or delayed buses. It's a 20 minute walk so it's easily doable.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    When I first heard about this campaign I thought to ignore it because I thought it was simply an advertising trick, later I found they were even giving pedometers away outside several subway stations and I regret not having putting any attention to get mine for free and start earning rewards, which range from a free bottle of water or an insulated stainless tumbler, to discounts in bookstores, sports gear and so on.

This is a truly important fact @sidney@sidney; whether you are up to walk long distances or just trying to walk for more than an hour, taking a 10-15 minutes break should be mandatory to avoid aching legs or at least reduce aching and tiredness by the end of the activity.

Because I walk regularly, I may not need this break until after two hours, but when I plan to walk more than three, I stop religiously at least for ten minutes every hour.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always take my bike when I go shopping. It's good exercise for me, and at the same time I don't have to worry about carrying any heavy bags back home. Unfortunately, there is no bus that comes near my home, so I would have to carry my shopping for about two km or pay a taxi. So, my solution is to put my shopping into the basket of my bike and just enjoy the ride. :)

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've walked to and from there a number of times now, because my dentist surgery is up there, as well as other establishments that I frequent often. Takes about forty minutes and it is quite a pleasant walk too if you set out ahead of time. I hate public transport. I don't like vehicles at the best of time, but being on them with strangers - all the germs involved and stuff? I shudder thinking about it.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint, You should try to join the next campaign that they will hold in your area then. The prizes are great, the only thing missing is cash, lol. Yeah, that's why I only wallk short distances, I hate that strained legs feeling.

@DreekLass@DreekLass, Well I think that mentality stems from your "roots", lol. You're not really going to touch them , but to avoid that, then take the bus during off peak hours.

9. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    Yes @sidney@sidney! I will do it, no doubt because does not only the prizes are worth, but sounds exciting get rewarded for something that one already does :)

A cash prize would be a plus. Hope the company implement it some day, LOL

10. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    If my workplace is near, and if the curbs are available, I'd walk than commute. Even if the sun is up, I can use the umbrella while walking home, or just cross the other side of the street to be under the shade. That, though, is not feasible for me because of the distance.

I prefer walking to convenience stores too, if the sidewalks are fine. I really don't mind the walk. I just hate walking up to a store while continually having to take care that I won't be run over by any car or public transportation. Sure, that could save me fare, but the danger is too expensive.

11. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    Oh @rikka@rikka, you made me recall something I hate; "under construction" streets.

Sometimes you are walking with confidence, and then suddenly a broken sidewalk is ahead. I'm not longer wearing high heel shoes when walking, but I remember the difficult walk when wearing them in the past due to broken pavement, gravel, and so on.

Going now through a broken sidewalk wearing tennis shoes might not be quite easy or pleasant, but at least heels don't longer peel off, LOL

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I only really walk to walk the dog or hike or walk on the beach. We do however take our bicycles if it is daylight, dry, and the place we're going is under 10 miles round trip. Sometimes I go farther than that if the weather is nice. Our truck is a huge gas hog and not taking it for those short hops definitely saves money and gives us some much needed exercise.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be able to walk to work because it is very far from my home. It would take me about 3 hours to get to work! Not to mention I need to take the road at a certain part, so it's not a feasible option for me.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends upon how far the walk is, but if I don't have to go a long way then I will always walk rather than go in my car if I have the time to do so, as it saves fuel and therefore money in the long term. I will always try to save money in any way that I can, and I know that this is a fantastic way to be able to do it.

15. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Walking takes too long and is extremely uncomfortable in Florida summer weather. I find biking gets me places quicker and more comfortably. In addition, it's a better exercise than walking. The only hassle is that you have to pick up a bike lock and ensure the place you need to go has a bike rack.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It would depend on where I lived, and more importantly, if there were proper sidewalks for me to use to get there. If I lived in a downtown area, I would walk just about everywhere if it was within a mile or two of my place. But in suburban areas it's harder, because not all streets have sidewalks, so then you would be walking down the side of a road like a homeless person or a bum. Not to mention it can be rather embarrassing when friends and acquaintances see you on the side of the road and keep stopping to see if you're OK and need a ride (this has happened to me a number of times when I lost my license for a few years).

I think in communities where there are more people actively walking, jogging and riding their bikes, I wouldn't feel as intimidated or embarrassed to walk. But in some suburban communities where you almost never see someone walking unless they were in an accident your car broke down or something, you kind of stick out like sore thumb and everyone is constantly glaring at you as they drive by.