Are Your Lured by Athletes to Buy Products that You Don't Need?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by MyDigitalpoint • Dec 16, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    From football players to body builders we see countless athletes and sports stars trying to sell us a body in shape or a better nutrition by buying product "x" for a well-balanced diet.

However I'm wondering how many of those stars use the items that they sell or endorse. Does George Foreman really grills on "his" grill' Is it true that Bruce Jenner exercises with the machines of his infomercials? Does LeBron really drink LeBron’s Lightning Lemonade?

We can name countless examples but, what do you think of this?

2. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be lured until I learned how to read nutrition labels. It's hard to ignore the commercials and ads that athletes film because they already have the body that we want. But don't be fooled -- read the labels!

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not lured by celebrities and athletes. And when I say that, I mean not at all, even when it comes to fashion and make-up. Celebrity endorsements have no sway on me for two reasons.

1. I don't believe the information given in commercials or infomercials. They are there to sell a product and they will lie and/or aggrandize to do so.

2. I do not buy what I do not need. This solves a lot of my temptation problems. Like most people, I want and want and want. If I allowed that weakness to reign, I'd buy just about everything I see on TV. But I've learned my lesson the hard way and now I control my spending.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being not really fitness conscious, I'm never lured by those athletes that endorse fitness products and supplements. The only time I was keen to buy a sports related product was when Gatorade came out, lol. With that said, I would rather search the internet for product reviews rather than blindly believe that a product is effective just because it's being endorsed by someone famous.

5. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I can say that i am lured. I am not ashamed to say that i had used the george foreman grill and only really bought it because of him. It was nice in the first days, but i eventually gave out on it and have not really been an avid user. I found that i do not really have a lot of uses for it.

6. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Absolutely not. I think you have to be either a fanboy or stupid to buy something just because someone advertises it.
    Most of the time the products they try to sell are expensive and are actually worse that the competition.

7. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    Yes, as an athlete I try to always perform better and that leads to me getting things that I don't need and overall wasting money. However some supplements do help, but it is not significant, and nothing you cannot get naturally. Also natural is they way to go you will feel a lot better. :)

8. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I constantly see endorsements by bodybuilders and athletes for protein shakes and supplements. I know for a fact most don't even use the product themselves but just get paid a large sum of money to promote it. I always buy a product based on user reviews, not celebrity endorsements.

9. firelily99

firelily99New Member

Threads:
    Occasionally I get gadget goofy, but I am better now at discerning what it is I really need and not something that seemed fabulous at three AM. Its been a few years since I have made an impulse buy, probably because I sleep better and am not shopping at three AM!