Art As A Hobby

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jason76 • Nov 12, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have the ability to draw people, animals, or buildings? Can anyone paint? A long time ago Bob Ross' show The Joy of Painting used to intrigue me. Can anyone paint in his style? Finally, has anyone played around with 3D art programs like Daz Studio, Poser, or Blender?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I took an art class in high school where I learned simple tecniques. I am not the best artist but I can draw okay. I usually draw to release stress and because it's fun. That show was the best art show I have ever watched I always hoped to be as goid as him. I even asked my dad for art supplies to practice.

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, we don't have an art class in school, so learning how to draw or paint is just self taught. I paint during my childhood and I always join competitions. Luckily, I always get the third place but then I felt that I wasn't doing enough, so I purchased a lot of different brushes (Sometimes I make my own brushes), oil, and paint tubes but overtime I'm losing interest with painting because I find it boring already and tools are getting expensive. However, I was thinking of doing it again recently since I found some good applications for computers which I can use to paint without spending a lot of money. The one I have right now is SketchBook Pro 2016.

4. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I also haven't take any class yet but yes i have interest in art from my childhood and i love to paint and to make sketchs. But i am not som much confident about my paint work i just do it for myself. :D

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I love to draw but I use pencil to draw in my computer's built in painting program. If I had the money for the supplies, I'd use a canvas.
    Paint Drawings:

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy painting for decorations for parties and just for fun sometimes, haha funny you mention Bob Ross, you have to see me and my husbands Halloween costume (ill insert a picture). I just got done paint decorations for a friends one year How to Train a Dragon b-day party ( I also inserts someof the dragon pictures I painted (on cardboard) for decor, its cheap and can be reused!)
    14925511_1321199337899269_5627710733442623453_n.IMG_20161118_130752.IMG_20161118_130817.IMG_20161118_130840.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how to draw as it was one of the subjects in High school (the main subject was geometrical art) but my wife has masters in arts (oil painting) so I have developed an interest for art and painting. She used to sell her art work but now she is no more doing it.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a crude drawer. Nothing professional but can manage to draw decently as long as it is not a human face.

Unfortunately I had no former training but learnt through independent means.

I can paint well though but nothing that I can make a living through.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Once I tried to learn painting but I was so bad at it that I was rejected from the art college. These days I paint on paper, however, I am a bad painter, I do not have originality, I just copy from other works. I have tried digital painting on photoshop, but I am yet to master the digital painting skills.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am feeling embarrassed accepting it but I could succeed if I had decided to make it as my profession but then I was never interested in painting and art as a profession. I always wanted to travel so I took to marketing profession. I am an engineer by education but I joined a multinational company since they offered me a marketing job and an opportunity to join business school on their own expenses. However if I wish to pursue my career in painting I am sure I can do that.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I've always found painting interesting as I loved the Boss Ross show. Nonetheless, I haven't dabbled too much in it. However, the 3D stuff I do is incredibly enjoyable. However, I don't really have the time for it as I spend most of my leisure time mostly working on music which I'm generally better at. Anyhow, definitely time management is a must with hobbies. Otherwise, it will be often a situation where one cannot do hobbies or at least cannot do much more than dabble in them.

Note. some 3D skills I'd like to acquire involve those dealing with animation and digital sculpting.

12. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Schools in my country no longer teach art in school but I taught myself. I used tutorials and books and used to practice when am free. I've won some competitions and I also get paid for few art projects and contracts in my local area.

13. elitesquatter

elitesquatterNew Member

Threads:
    I draw on a pen tablet and more traditional means. I also took up a 3D design class before where we eventually had our items 3D printed. I edit photos for the heck of it, too. I do hope to improve my work. It doesn't really matter if it takes a lot of time to master a certain style that you want.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a little skill in illustrating figures, portrait. But I haven't developed it. My elder brother Jaime is good in painting. He painted the image of Jesus Christ is a piece of 18x24 inches plywood. My youngest son is good in 3D illustration using the Manga app. He is also good in sketching Dragon Ball Z characters
    . My 3rd daughter is good in crayon drawing. My eldest daughter is good in ball pen drawing. Her only one daughter gets her mother's drawing skill. Our grandson could do well in sketching Naruto characters. They are all talented as far as arts skill is concerned.

Here are the earliest art work of my youngest son including his self-portrait in cartoon:

selfportrait.san gohan.