Artificial Grass

Discussion in Home & Garden started by littlewitch66 • Jun 28, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I bought some artificial grass for my back garden and I am blown away by it. Although the initial outlay can be a little costly, once you have it in place it saves a lot of time and trouble and mine has a guarantee of 20 years. No more cutting grass (I sold my lawn mower and made a little money) and it always looks superb.

The only downside that I can see is if animals urinate on it, it can smell but I have bought a deodoriser to combat that. What do you think? Would you buy it?

2. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I would go with the natural grass any day. I believe it is easier to manage and the initial cost of planting it and watering is not that high. The props can be borrowed from the neighbours. I have a large patch of grass at my home. However, most of the time I do not have to trim it. I have chicken and they eat the grass daily, almost to the extent of finishing it off. I also believe that it helps in ensuring that there is fresh air.
    The artificial ones are good but I think the maintenance costs are so high.

3. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Gad@Gad There are no maintenance costs as far as I can see. You just lay it and leave it as there is no cutting. If you mean the cost of buying it in the first place you can buy it in strips. I didn't get mine all at once so it was fairly cheap with the cost spread out over a month.

#3Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This is a superb idea in terms of maintenance and cost cutting. Is it the type of grass used in football pitches? That said and done, there is no replacement in terms of aesthetics and for sentimental reasons to natural grass. But artificial grass is quite healing due to its even texture and close imitation of nature and would go for it. 20 hassle free years is quite a reassurance.

5. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @remnant@remnant I'm not sure if they use this for football pitches. I imagine that would have to be very hard wearing but it's great in that it doesn't get all soggy and muddy after heavy rain and I just sweep any bits off it to keep it tidy!

I understand that people like natural grass as it has such a lovely smell after the rain has been on it but I really love the fact that I don't have to do anything to my artificial grass apart from deodorise any pet smells.

#5Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good idea but I like natural grass more. Even though we have the problem of cutting and trimming them once in a while I love gardening. So, I never see it as a burden or extra work. :) Good luck. :)

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have a stretched lawn where I have green grass. It is difficult to maintain the lawn. You need to lot of weeding such remove wild grass, plant new grass, on the place where it is thin etc. You also need water it regularly and add manure so that grass remain green always. It is really difficult to maintain. I have never considered having artificial grass because I know it will be very costly. However, I had never considered that the cost is just with the first time installation, after that for many years there will be zero maintenance cost.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have been contemplating on buying artificial grass for our front yard where the lawn is concrete. It was cemented by the previous owner. To give it a nicer view, we thought of turning it into a lawn. Our first choice is to remove the concrete, fill it with good soil and plant grass, tuly expensive. The second option is to install artificial grass on it that needs no maintenance but would last long. We are now torn between the two but I have a feeling that it would be real grass.

9. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I tried grass seed once but the birds ate it! Then I tried turf laying but we have a lot of heavy rain her sometimes and it turned it into a mud bath. That is why I decided to use artificial this time and it was definitely worth it for us.

#9Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017