As my gran used to say, "Look after the pennies, and the pounds take care of themselves."

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by FortisLupus • Sep 13, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Saving money is high on the agenda these days. The global recession has left virtually no-one untouched...
    Food prices are rising, energy prices are rising. The overall cost of living is rising!

If you're like me, and you've grown tired of the sinking feeling. The one where you struggle to pay the bills AND put food on the table, then you may like a few simple money saving tips. Perhaps you could share some of your tips

Dishwasher tips.
    Dishwasher detergent / tablet are quite expensive, considering what you get for your money. If you're lucky you can pick up 20 economy tablets for just under £2. An average of 10p per wash. Not bad, but I can do better!
    Biological laundry detergent is just as effective at cleaning dishes, and seems to work even better on the lower temperature. Simply use half a cup of biological laundry detergent in the dishwasher.
    You can get a 1 kilo box of shop's own brand Biological laundry detergent for less that £1 (£0.79 in Wilkinsons) and will provide a lot more than 20 washes!

White vinegar (NOT white condiment or white wine vinegar) also makes a very effective and less costly rinse aid.

2. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Fabric Conditioner tips.

A very easy recipe to make up...

2 pints of water

1 pint white vinegar

¾ pint of hair conditioner

Can be stored in jars, empty plastic bottles, or airtight containers. Whatever you've got around to reuse, basically.

The best part? You can use whatever you want as far as hair conditioner goes. I used Boots essentials conditioner, which only cost me 60p for 500ml. The volumes listed above create a LOT of fabric conditioner, so alter accordingly. You can also add up to twenty drops of your favourite essential oil(s), for extra fragrance.

If you prefer tumble dryer sheets to fabric conditioner, dampen a facecloth with the mixture, and throw it in your dryer instead. Sorted!