Aspirin And Other Otc Pain Relievers

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Zyni • Sep 23, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to (over the counter) OTC pain relief, do you have a preference? Do you choose aspirin or non-aspirin pain relievers? Do you only buy name brand versions or do you give generics medicines or store brands a try?

Is this an area where saving money comes first or is this an area where you are more likely to pay more for a national brand product?

For headaches, I'm willing to pay a bit more for Excedrin, although I do try to catch it on sale or stock up when they offer bonus packs. For other stuff, I'm just as likely to buy the store brand.

2. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a preference really, all I know is that if it takes away the pain then it's okay. Typically I would worry about these things if there are some notable side effects but as far as I'm concern, aspirin or non-aspirin, there's really nothing that can cause worry not unless you're one of those people that tend to overreact on things.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy the generic version rather than branded painkillers. For example, 16 generic ibuprofen capsules can be bought for 35p at the local supermarket. The branded version, Nurofen, costs £1.99. It's exactly the same thing!

The only possible difference I can think of is that branded pills might be easier to swallow if you have issues with that.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As all approved and licensed generic drugs are identical - in that they contain exactly the same active compound or bio-equivalent of brand name drugs and its only the inactive ingredients that may vary depending on who they are manufactured by - for example - they may contain different coloring agents, binders, fillers and preservatives - and all must be manufactured under the same strict safety standards and good manufacturing practice regulations required for innovator drugs.

If there is a generic equivalent - I will always buy that - as I really can't justify paying what can often be up to three times more for a brand name when the much cheaper generic equivalent - is just as effective.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't generally buy them, but if I do then in the UK many store have generic paracetamol for 19p for 16 tablets. They are as effective and work. Buying brands these days can be a false economy unless someone prefers the brand and feels more secure using them. It's a bit like Anadin, it has a good reputation, but is costly.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the generic ones. They are cheaper but work the same as the expensive brand ones. They are just rebranded but the ingredients are the same. I don't really have a preference for aspirin or non aspirin ones. I just buy what I remember to buy or what is available.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to get headaches a lot so we used to buy a lot of aspirin and headache medication. I usually stick to one brand myself but from time to time I'll switch if it's the only thing available or if I want to test a new brand to see if it turns out to be better. So far, I've gotten to try some that worked better but unfortunately those are the ones that make me feel drowsy so it wasn't as good of an option for me since I usually need it while keeping awake while working.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not really a fan of over the counter's, to be honest. If I can avoid them at all, then I will. There was a study that I read a few years ago, about how Asprin increases the percentage of one developing blindness or something like that. I prefer the natural healing path, but that is not always effective, so that is when I will reach for medication.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there is a lot of misleading information circulating around the media relating to aspirin.

I would just say - that as that study didn't provide either substantial or conclusive evidence to say one way or the other - meaning there wasn't enough evidence to support whether there was actually a link - between aspirin use in elderly patients that may lead to greater risk of developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD) - I would be far more inclined to avoid using aspirin or aspirin based products - due to the other more commonly known long term health risks associated with it.

Especially now that the prescribing of aspirin is such a controversial topic amongst the medical community - due to the fact - there is now very strong evidence to suggest that long-term use of the drug increases the risk of ulcers, gastrointestinal bleeding and bleeding in the brain - that it is now only prescribed for those patients whose risk of heart attack or stroke - far outweighs the risk of bleeding due to the medication.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will take my chances with aspirin as the health related benefits of using it outweigh the disadvantages. I also buy generic asprin because the active ingredient, ie aspirin is all you need. Everything else that is added to it is window dressing to increase the price, although caffeine can be helpful to reduce headaches apparently which is one of the ingredients in Excedrin.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is something I buy a lot of. I also buy a variety, because since I have constant chronic pain, as well as flares that require additional medication, sometimes those I've been taking for a period of time seem to lose their efficacy. I buy mainly generics, although I do swear by Advil Migraine. The generics are much cheaper, and I buy the Equate Extra Strength Acetaminophen 500 mg 2 packs, because they're a good deal. Each bottle has 250 caplets. I usually keep one upstairs, and one downstairs, so having 2 bottles comes in handy. I also keep some generic Aleve on hand for when I need to switch it up, as well as a few bottles of the Tension Headache medicine from Dollar Tree. Those are good for my neck-tension-induced headaches.

12. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Can I second this??
    So many people overpay for name brand drugs thinking that they are better or safer or something like that.
    Truth is the drug market is so regulated that they HAVE to be the same. Name brand drugs are more expensive for no reason other then marketing.

I trust only two pain killers which are ASA (Aspirin) and Ibuprofen (Advil.)

13. Poweclai

PoweclaiNew Member

Threads:
    I admit I always buy a shops own brand, so much cheaper than the branded tablets. They all do the same thing, with the same amount of active ingredients.
    For headaches paracetamol, and for muscular pain anti inflammatory meds. My sister works for a pharmaceutical company as has herself said there is no difference in the actually medicines, you really do just pay for the brands name...

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We know that medication causes side effects, especially when it comes to the long term. I'd prefer not to fill my body with such crap and then pay the consequences afterwards, during the years where I am supposed to be unwinding and relaxing. I'd rather go for the natural methods, and diet plays a big part in reducing and eliminating pain from occurring in the first place. Asprin is not good for people.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm allergic to aspirin so I never can buy any drugs that have aspirin in them. That's why paracetamol normally is my go-to painkiller in case of headaches and for anything else I'll take Indomethacin. Since generic versions of the pills are cheaper and they are quite effective, they are the ones I buy. I have to admit though that there are some branded pills which relieve pain faster than the cheaper alternatives.