At What Age Did You Start Elementary School

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by tonyb • Nov 4, 2016.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is most probably a fact many of us started our elementary education at different ages. Personally I started mine at around the age of six. I wouldn't know exactly how to classify this whether as early starter or late starter. But one thing I did very good at school back then in my elementary/primary school. In your case how old where you when you started out at elementary school. Would you say you were an early starter or late.

2. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I started at like age 3. I define elementary school as basic school here and that's when I started. Maybe closer to age 4, I can't remember. I just know I've always been the youngest in my year groups.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was five when I first went to a school and it was not a modern elementary school but a basic primary village school because my father worked in government's agriculture department and was posted in a village about 40 km away from nearest town as a lecturer of an agriculture college. The nearest school was about 2 km away in another village where I used to go with other 2 -3 children my age accompanied by an orderly.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Though very young age I think I like this age for a basic school as long the child can cope with the school work. I personally will encourage children of nowadays to start basic or elementary school around three years if they can cope gradually at that tender age,

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I attended school when I was 5 in Kindergarten. I find it hard to be with kids my age that time because I'm still coping up with my separation anxiety. I believe, pre-school is important before the kid officially join elementary school so they'd be more prepared in the future. The problem with most kids is attention, and some kids tends to gain full attention at an age of 11. It would be difficult for a child to attend a regular elementary school if they lack in this attribute and sometimes, this could lead to other types of anxiety problems.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Where I used to live most of us were required to start at age 5 dependend on what day our birthdays were. i started at 5 but my brother was accepted untill he almost turned 6 since his birth date was off by a few days. I don't really know the reason behind this but because of this reason my brother was always older than everyone in his class.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was five when I started kindergarten here in Hawaii over fifty years ago. Today Mother's have to teach their children before three years of age to spell their name and count to ten before enrolling them in preschool. My day preschool was just an option. Well I am an only child and did not want to go to kindergarten. I cried:( when my grandfather dropped me off at school. We learned in my day our alphabets and numbers in school. I guess I'm a late starter.:rolleyes:

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I understand that elementary is primary school education so I started at 6 years of age.

Although I started nursery at 3 years of age.

9. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I started at that young age, I was also under the pressure of adults to skip a grade or two. I held my own though and opted out of it. I don't know what they saw in me haha! I get the highest grades up until this day but I think I'll only do that within my current group.

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I started elementary at age 7 because I joined Kindergarten a year later than everyone else due to my birth date. Through my school years, I was always older than the rest of the kids and I finally graduated close to age 19. People were always a year or two younger than I was.

11. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I started Elementary School when I was 4 years old. My mum used to take me to nursery at the same school when I was 3 since she had to work. I did the exam and passed and I was allowed to skip the two years of nursery school.