At what age do losing weight get twice as hard for you

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by sandooch • Aug 24, 2012.

1. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be 50 in November, and for the past 3 years or so, my metabolism has been really slowing down. The same diet and exercise plans that worked well for me in my teens, twenties and thiries, just don't cut it any more. For those 45 and older, at what age did you see this start to happen with you. Did you find doing anything differently than you did in the past helped get the scale moving or keep the pounds from climbing?

2. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I am 52 years old. I have found it very difficult to lose weight for the past 3 years. I watch what I eat and I remain active but I keep on gaining weight. It isn't as easy to lose weight and even keep from adding more weight like it used to be. It is pretty frustrating. The one thing that I should work on doing more of is drinking water. I'm not real good about drinking enough water in a day like I used to.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    One thing that seems to affect my weight is my medication. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus, and I'm on a cocktail of drugs. Are you on any medication that may be slowing down your metabolism? I kick start it every once in a while by having a week on the Cabbage Soup Diet, and I find that not only do I lose between 6 and 10lbs during the week of the diet, I carry on losing a steady 1 - 2 lbs a week for several weeks afterwards. Try drinking extra water as well - that's supposed to boost the metabolism.

4. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    In my late 30s is when I may have noticed more difficulty. I think that it is a scientific fact that your metabolism slows down after a certain age, thereby making it harder to lose weight. I can still do most of the things I used to do when I work out, it just seems that the results don't show as fast. I have resigned myself to the fact that working out will always be a regular part of my routine until I can't psychically work out any more.

5. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Boy do I hear you!! I am 47 and have found my metabolism has all but stopped some days. I've tried it all! I do invest in a Wii Fit. I lost over 50 pounds so far but it has taken me a little over a year and half. Small steps, yea I know. When I was younger I can remember losing 7-10 pounds in two weeks, now I'm lucky if I lose it in two months. All I can stay is find a plan that works for you and stick with it. No matter how long it takes just take those small steps to reach your goal.

6. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I take medication that also puts pounds on my body. So its a vicious cycle. I can't remember when it started to get hader to lose the weight. Exercising seems to help some. But it is a pain in the foot, trying to leave the pounds behind. Then, after you lose them, you must pratice maintainence, or you are back in a worse position. Woe oh woe. "o)

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once I hit my mid-40's it became really hard to lose weight. It not sure if it has anything to do with my metabolism or I'm just more stuck in my ways. Quite frankly, I had given up trying to lose weight because it wouldn't come off. Within the last few months, I have been dropping weight. Thank goodness.

8. Spudfyre

SpudfyreNew Member

Threads:
    I'm 48, I find my metabolism will grind to a halt if I do nothing and eat like a teen. However, I find that eating a normal diet and not too excessively as well as doing moderate excersise 3 times a week turns my metabolism back on and I can keep from gaining weight. I can lose weight way easier in the summer than winter, probably just ue to activity and eating lighter foods. I found once I got off the fast food tread mill, I don't crave it anymore and actually feel rotten when I grab a greasy burger. I look at people in their 70's and 80's still going strong and it's pretty obvious that a simple thing like walking (or just staying active) goes a long way to health and longevity....if you can stay healthy.

9. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I am going to say 30. When you are between 18 and 25, usually your metabolism has not really slowed down yet. But once you close in on 30, it seems easy to put on that inner tube.

Of course it does not help my cause to eat large meals like I do before going to bed.

10. murbiz

murbizNew Member

Threads:
    As soon as I got to 30 years old I immediately felt my metabolism change.I have been an avid gym rat since I was 18 years but as soon as I hit 30 years a few years ago I just felt a complete shift in the make up of my body.

Back then I could easily lose 5 pounds in a week if I wanted to or run a 10K marathon with ease but nowadays I find myself trying to catch my breathe after a simple work out.The pain of aging I guess.

11. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't take any medications that would cause weight gain or hinder my weight loss. I'm just going to blame it on good ol' aging.

I've upped my goal weight over the years by 10 pounds every decade starting in my teens (I still can't beleive at 5'5" I ever wanted to weight 110 pounds). Now, I would be happy to weigh 150. I'd be in a comfortable size 8 and feel pretty proud of myself at that weight. I've just been extremely stressed out because of some family health problems, my fathers recent surgery and my husband getting laid off. Dieting and exercising go out the window when I'm this stressed. I know things will settle down eventually, and I will get back on the ball. But I'll never quit no matter what.

12. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I think that once you reach 30 your metabolism starts to dramatically slow down so that by the time you reach 40 it would be more than half what it was. The trick to keeping your weight down is to be careful what you eat, when you eat, and how much you eat. You also have to be weary of the type of exercise you are doing and when.

13. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I first started doing "The Firm" back in the eighties. It became my holy grail for exercise and I never looked at another type of workout for years. I looked and felt great. And then, I turned 40, and I started to notice a creeping weight gain out of the blue. So, I was 40 when I began to notice this, and it's been a long hard struggle. I have had to really tighten my diet. What I used to believe no longer works. These days sugar, bread, and pasta are the enemy. I do a lot hiit. My strength workout is unconventional, consisting of battle ropes, suspension trainers, and a sledge hammer, among other things. It was the only way I could get my body to respond, and it's not done yet.

14. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, how I loved what The Firm workouts did for my body. I was so into them when I was around 37 years old and got into the best shape ever. Unfortunately, because of an injury to the left side of my body, I am unable to lift more than 5 pounds with that arm without it aching and throbbing for days. Also, as I get older, I get more nervous to use the step in that workout. My mom fell when she was 65 while jogging and fractured both of her arms. I think of that when I use the step and don't want to go through what she did should I fall off of that step.

I am also in agreement that all those white foods need to be tossed out of everyone's diets. They aren't good for anyone.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I would say thirty. I have noticed that there has been a slight slowing down from thirty, but when I reached forty my metabolism seems to have gone south. I have increased the fiber content in my diet to include more vegetables, increased my water intake and decreased my food intake. This just doesn't seem to help very much. I wish we found something that would help us reduce weight and improve the metabolism. The worst part of this is I am advised to keep my workouts to brisk walking and some light stretches.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once I hit menopause it has been very hard for me to lose weight. I started to walk about an hour a day and did lose some weight but not enough. I have increased the length of time and distance I now walk and have lose an additional 10lbs. I have also stopped eating dinner, I have a vegetable soup and salad, and maybe some fruit.

17. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    It was too easy for me to lose weight up to the age of 25. When I reached 26, I already had a hard time. Most likely because my partner and I also did not have much time to workout and dieting alone did not work. Then we also got pregnant, so imagine the weight that was added to me, apart from the fact that I already gained weight even before we conceived. But now, everything is okay. I learnt of a diet that worked for me and got slim again. I am now just maintaining my ideal weight by not eating unhealthy foods.

18. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You were not eating the right foods if nutrition alone wasn't enough to control your weight. Weight control is very easy when you are on a low-carb, high-fat and moderate-protein diet because you are controlling your insulin, the primary hormone in fat storage.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm in my late twenties and it's getting pretty noticeable how harder it is to lose weight for me. I'm even afraid that it will get a lot harder in the future, and that's why I'm working a lot harder now to reach a good weight and physique that I can just try to maintain throughout the next decade of my life. Good luck to everyone here whose metabolism is getting slower as well, keep up the fight against fat!

20. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Well I struggle with losing weight already even though I'm in my early 20s. But my issues are more from a mental standpoint not a physical one. I'm also not overweight but I always find myself trying to reach my ideal weight. But I hope that being consistent and pushing myself in my workouts will help ease the difficulty level once I age. But now I have to equally focus on sorting out the mental health aspect as well.