At what age do losing weight get twice as hard for you

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by sandooch • Aug 24, 2012.

1. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    I believe there is no particular age to reduce your weight, you could actually reduce your weight at any time you want! All you need to be prepare yourself mentally and you should be there! :)

2. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I have always been able to eat anything and everything. I never watched what I ate and didn't exercise but I am an active outdoors person. I always weighed around 120 pounds and I'm 5'7". When I hit around age 40, I started gaining a few pounds every year, with no difference in my eating or activity. I am 47 now and the last time I weighed I was close to 140. Even though that is still a good weight for me as I was always considered too skinny, I don't want my weight to keep increasing. So, yes my metabolism has definitely slowed down and I have gained weight. I am going to have to start watching what I eat better because I know the more weight I put on, the harder it will be to take off.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Weight loss has never been difficult for me. I could eat what I want when I was a kid and teenager because I was ridiculously active, playing lots of sport every day. Nowadays I control my weight through low-carb/high-fat, it's very easy.

4. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    Each year after 45, it gets tougher to lose weight. A part of this might be caused by prescription drugs such as blood pressure pills, etc.
    Workouts are not so energetic, walks get shorter, and I tire more easily---paints a nice picture doesn't it? The weight doesn't go off like it used to.
    I've had great luck with Weight Watchers, though. I lost 30 lbs. I guess I need the accountability even at the high cost of membership! They offer free membership a lot, why not try it?

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am 23, and I have just spent the past two years losing half of my body weight. It wasn't easy by any stretch, however I have learned a lot of things that I didn't know before about metabolism, and the way the body works.

Throughout my weight loss, I was taught about how the body needs calories to survive. If you move more, you need more calories to provide you with the energy to make that movement. If you move less, then your calorie intake should come down, too. The problem arises either when you do not eat enough to give you energy, in which case you become underweight, or you eat too much, and become overweight.

I was a member of a weight loss forum that had a thread on disability and the struggles that are faced with losing weight there due to the fact that physically disabled may not need to do as much exercise. What I had learned made me suggest that if they didn't need (or couldn't, unfortunately) to move as much, then they didn't need as much food as they did when they were able bodied, if they had ever been. This was met by shocking disapproval, as I was told how heartless I was. It's not heartless. Food is a fuel to help us through the day. If we don't use as much energy, we don't NEED as much energy. This happens, too, when we get older. Our bodies change and deal with food differently, and it is up to us to change our diet and lifestyle to reflect that. Just because we've been eating our greens and taking exercise since we were 20 doesn't mean that eating the same things and the same amount will have the same effect on our body now. Learning this is key.

What is harder, though, is the body's emotional response to food restriction. We try to cut down portions, our bodies protest, and more often than not we listen to what they're asking for and give in. Eating emotionally rather than eating for fuel is the problem. Eat what you need.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in my 30s and have no troubles because I don't eat processed foods and if I do, I make sure I know the ingredients (better be a short list of healthy ones too). If you eat whole foods (preferably not from Whole Foods lol), you won't have the problem you have. My mother can also vouch for it.. she's in her 60s now and lost all her access weight (had given up years and years ago though, so wasn't even trying). Many people think they eat a healthy diet, but the food industry is a shady industry.. I promise if you're buying "health foods" from the grocery store (or almost any food from the grocery store to be honest), that's part of your problem. My best advice is to please learn what healthy eating really means. No restrictive diets, or exercising 24 hours a day. Start reading about REAL food and how to go about eating the way we're made to eat. Our bodies don't know what these foreign things are we're eating these days, treat it better and it will treat you better.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I found weight hard to keep off when I hot my 30s! It seems like all I have to do since then is look at some food and I immediately put weight on!

8. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    Once I hit my thirties I felt like it was really difficult to lose weight without significant cardiovascular exercise. That was really the tipping point for me. I could eat anything in my 20's and not even bother exercising and I would not gain weight. I guess the metabolism really slows down once you enter your thirties.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem losing weight when I want to, I simply cut out carbohydrates and exercise, it can be quite challenging over a period of weeks but it never fails. However, I do GAIN fat more easier than I did when i was growing up. I noticed a difference when I was in my mid-20's, i could no longer eat the bad foods I ate in my youth.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's why parents need to teach their children young and be an example to them. Many people think they could eat whatever they wanted when they were young and there's good reason for that, but it's not exactly true just because you didn't show any sign of illness or large weight gain. That's called laying the groundwork for illness and weight issues later on.. tends to catch up to you in your thirties (give or take of course). I see it all the time, people saying they eat like crap and they're fine... you're only fine until you're not.

11. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would say tat around the age of 40 is when it really begins to be difficult because many women start to experience signs of menopause and that's when everything slowly starts to go downhill.
    Therefore it's better to lose all the unwanted weight around the age of thirty and twenty.