Audible Users?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by FlanneryCam • Aug 31, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have an account with Audible but cancelled it years ago due to not using it enough.

I now have a long commute on my hands again and am thinking of subscribing again.

Pros? Cons? Does anyone understand why they use a credit system instead of a dollar system?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I used Audible only for a month for a free trial. I did not go for a paid membership. I think their 2 book monthly plan seems to be perfectly priced and would be useful for daily long commutes. Their credit system is some sort of incentive, and with the credits you can purchase more audible products.

3. workingmama

workingmamaNew Member

Threads:
    I have never used Audible. But wanted to recommend the site I do use often, best of all it's free -

Now keep in mind you aren't going to find any best sellers listed there. All of the books are in the public domain so they are all older books. If you want to catch up on the classics then it's perfect. They also have a large non-fiction selection, but again they are older public domain books.

:)

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Audible a long time ago. Maybe a year or two but never really got interested on it because I am more of a reading typ person. A visual one so I don;t think that audio books will do the job for me. I want to read as I can visualize things better with reading that listening. Of coarse it will be better if you are reading and listening at the same time but the fact that you have to pay for it, I don;t think that I have to.

5. tschibo

tschiboNew Member

Threads:
    I have been an Audible subscriber for more than a year now, but I am thinking about canceling - I no longer want to pay for getting audiobooks that I can get through the library for free. I discovered that these days the library systems use Overdrive (it's a software that you can download onto your phone, computer, etc.) and through it, you can check out audiobooks. The audiobook you check out gets sent right to your device, so you don't need to deal with CDs, running to the library to pick up your holds, etc. Just my two cents ;)

And the credit system works in a simple way - every month, depending on your plan, you get one or more credits. You can exchange one credit per one book, no matter if that book costs $9.99 or $25.99. Hope this helps.

6. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I used audible for a bit, but wasn't listening to enough audiobooks at the time to be worth it. Now I'm listening to more audiobooks, but I tend to use itunes podcasts for tutorial type audio books. If I get into fiction again though I'll probably go back to audible.

7. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I have had an audible subscription for about five years. I like long, unabridged books, so I make my credits worth while. I listen to audiobooks while I work on things that don't require my full attention. I think at some point I'll pause my subscription and re-listen to old books, but I still have lots of books on my wish-list, so I guess it won't be too soon.

8. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I signed up for their free trial earlier this month and I got one book for free for signing up and another free book on Valentines day. They had 6 titles to choose from on Valentines and I chose the one romance novel they had. I never listened to an audio book before Audible and it took me a while to get into it but once I did I really enjoyed being able to take in a story while I did other things or even lay in bed with my eyes closed. It was like getting read a bedtime story. While I did enjoy the first audio book very much because it was a new release from one of my favorite authors I cancelled the membership. I can see myself purchasing another listen in the future but I don't see myself doing it every month.

When I went to cancel I had to go through about 5 screens because they keep trying to get you to stay. They even offered to cut the monthly fee from $14.95 to $7.95 for the first 4 months but I didn't bite.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not tried Audible yet, I am not sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost plus I can get books from the library free.