Audiobooks vs Ebooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by lovemwaf • Nov 12, 2013.

1. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer audio books because i have the time to be able to hear the same thing over and over and see the things that i was missing out on. Reading a book is very time consuming and i find that i will only read a book once. What do you prefer

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer neither audiobooks or e-books because I haven't touched any of them for a long time. I usually read physical books, which is so much better because I can smell the pages and am able to turn the pages by hand. If I were going to choose either one, I would prefer audiobooks because I can listen to them over and over since I sometimes don't have the time to sit and read.

3. NeliaDillahunty

NeliaDillahuntyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer the traditional way of reading books, audio books are so tacky, books are available right at your disposal anytime and they don't demand anything either.

4. danderson239

danderson239New Member

Threads:
    I prefer audio books. I commute an hour to work every day. Audio books allow me to stay current on my reading during a time I'm forced to be idle. I work on a computer all day, so e-books are unappealing to me because I experience eye strain. I've almost eliminated paper books completely from my reading habits. Obtaining, storing, and transporting paper books all seem like unnecessary inconveniences with technological advances.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried listening to an audiobook once but the narrator [do they call them that?] was pathetic. But more annoying was the fact that he tried to raise his pitch when he got to places where female characters were talking but couldn't do it well enough to pass off as a man mimicking a woman's voice. That among other reasons is why I don't listen to audiobooks and in any case, audiobooks tend to be more expensive . . .

6. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love audiobooks that are read by the author. I feel that the author has a sense of the cadence of every paragraph, and having it read to you by the person who knows it best really helps with the full enjoyment aspect of "reading" a novel while commuting to work. I like e-books as well, and I'd be less inclined to buy an audiobook that wasn't read either by the author or an actor whose work I enjoy.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    For me I prefer ebooks. There are some subjects that you can not use audio books. Lets say you are trying to learn a mathematical function but you are using an audiobook, it will b hard to write the exact formula which you do not know in the first place. I am just saying eBooks are much more practical.

8. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I tried listening to audio books, but for some reason I didn't catch on. I can't focus when listening to an audiobook, which is weird because I know people who have better understanding when they're listening to someone say it to them. However, I find it sort of a hassle having to listen back to a certain sentence. With a book, I can simply look left and read the sentence again. With an audiobook, I'll have to rewind, and it would take time for me to find which spot I'm on.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I am much more in favor of audiobooks, since it doesn't require you to be static, you can move around and do other things whilst listening to the book, while reading a physical or an e-book requires you to be in one spot. But the thing about e-books are, even though your taking in the content, its not 100% since your only listening to it and you can't see or read some of the finer details, like for example, if you encountered an unfamiliar word in the audiobook, you can't see the spelling or whatever. Also, audiobooks takes more space in your device compared to e-books. If you're listening to fiction then there's not much to worry about, but if its self help books or educational ones, then you might have to read the e-book version as well.

10. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer audiobooks myself, as I can listen to them while I'm on the road, instead of ebooks I'd much rather have a proper paper book though.

11. zestytomato

zestytomatoNew Member

Threads:
    As a college student taking a literature class, I've come to prefer audiobooks. While I'm eating breakfast or working on my crochet or knitting, it's nice listening to the story. For me, it's a very relaxing sort of multitasking. Also it turns out that I've remember more of a story's plot just from listening!

12. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I like to listen to audio books when I am in the car by myself. I get the full (lesson) I need while driving. I usually listen to audio books that are self help or something pertaining to education. I read ebooks in my spare time. They are great for me to download and read them on my ipad when I don't have internet access. I enjoy listen or reading both.

13. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I enjoy listening to audio books when I am on the bus or doing something menial. I find it that as a student, I don't have as much time left after studying to read books I would like to read. I download them to my ipod nano and it is very convenient to listen to something on the go. I would rather read but I don't have the time and books are annoying to carry around so I leave them at home.

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I've never been a fan of audiobooks. Some of them are just too horrible to listen to. I prefer ebooks though of course, personally, paperbacks are much better.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm so accustomed to reading books that listening to audiobooks will surely end up in disaster. When you're so used to one type of media, it's hard to adjust to others you've barely been exposed to. For me, it's either watching or reading with my eyes. I'm afraid audiobooks will only make me drowsy. I prefer electronic books any time of the day.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am old-fashioned, I prefer to read paper books. There is nothing more relaxing to me than to lie in bed with a real book in my hands, reading away happily for many hours. I love the feeling and smell of the paper. And most of all, I enjoy falling asleep next to a book, unconcerned about having to switch off some electronic gadget.