Avoiding Vacation To Save Money

Discussion in Travel started by luri • Sep 7, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever considered this: avoiding vacation ton save money. I have done this couple of times. When I was in college, I did not go to school tour because I wanted to save money for a bicycle. (Yes, I did buy a bicycle from the money that I was supposed to pay to the school administration as tour fees).

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    A big yes to that one right there. I believe that vacations should only be taken when it's necessary to do so. This is because of the extravagant behavior that they come along with.

However, they should not be entirely avoided, according to me, because one of the reasons we look for money is to enjoy the luxuries of life, which we enjoy through vacations. So for me, having a vacation at least once or twice a year would be harmless.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We can save money by not taking too many vacations but I also believe that one or two vacations a year is just fine. Vacations doesn't always have to be costly as the activity can be a simple getaway. The occasional break from work and everyday life is important to keep us refreshed and invigorated. They provide invaluable life experiences that we can't hope to recapture at other stages in our life. I always include these holidays in my budget and work extra hard to fund them.

4. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Vacation is at the top of my list of things that I would do WITH my savings. So I will never skip a vacation in order to save. Plus I only do 1 vacation a year so I am actually eager to be in one than skipping a well-deserved break.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I never considered avoiding vacation travel to save some money. We work all year long on a small salary and we make a lot of sacrifices to raise some money to spend a few days away from home. After so much work we do need to relax for 3-4 days, besides our child needs to travel a bit and see something from this wonderful world.
    Money comes and goes but the moments with family are never forgotten.

6. sw8sincere

sw8sincereNew Member

Threads:
    I think spending on vacations will only be fun if you have extra money but if you are on a shoestring budget then I must say it is not really appropriate to go on a vacation. It will not only worry you about the remaining expense but it will also cut the fun the you might met along the way.

7. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    I do not think that it is advisable to skip vacation in order to save money especially if you go on vacation once an year. This is the ideal time to forget your worries and forget about your troubles for a while. Why would I skip vacation and endure another whole year full of worries.

8. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I like to travel a lot but sometimes avoid vacation to save money to buy something special I love. I would save the money for future emergencies. Few of my relatives avoid vacation to save money for some pending payments.

9. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is all about choice and that choice is one that I've taken while I was in the college in which I always avoid going on vacation, but rather stay back and find a part time job that I do and make some money so that at the beginning of the next semester, I can be able to have some money to cater for some needs at school. I also did not go for picnics most of the time, preferring to spend the cash I would have used on going for it on other priorities that contributed to my academic excellence.

So, I think it is an act anyone that is careful about saving should adopt as well.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are frequent travelers and our usual haunt is a foreign country. This year, we have traveled to 4 countries and later this year we have trips to 3 countries more. I agree that refraining from traveling can save you a lot because traveling abroad is expensive. Aside from the plane ticket that we buy on a discount, there’s also the hotel and not to forget the pocket money. Next year, our plan is to make 2 travels only from our usual average of 5 travels in a year. That is to save and also to afford a travel to the US and Australia.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think people should avoid vacations to save money. That's simply being too obsessed with money and not enjoying life. However, though, it might be wise, in certain cases, to avoid lavish vacations. For instance, if you really feel that 5-star hotels will drain you out - then, by all means, don't stay in them.

12. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Vacations are good since it helps you to unwind and escape from your routine work and it serves as a stress reliever for some people. But if you loose all your savings because of this then it would serve otherwise. As much as I want to go on a vacation somewhere like on a good beach perhaps, still I don't have that much money to spend and waste. Maybe when I became a rich man.

13. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I did this for many years when my children were little because I just didn't have the money to spend. Even now I don't go abroad but find the cheapest holiday I can find in my own country. I'm not the kind of person who likes to put money on a credit card and then worry about it later. If I haven't got the funds then I don't spend. During those years when I had little money I would take my children on day trips which they enjoyed just as much.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes one need lots of money to enjoy the vacation, and yes if we can avoid it somehow then we can save all those money and that can be helpful in needed time. But avoiding vacation every time, I guess I can't do that. I go for vacation to give some relief to my mind. So it is important too. Yes if I am in need of money then I will surely skip it, otherwise I will just go for it. So it is too depend on situation.

15. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    It solely depends on ones decision. Most money I save is mainly for my vacations. I love to travel, it always help me in a way I can't describe. But, if I have to skip the travel and save the money for any important thing I had foreknowledge of, I will surely save it.

#15Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think it definitely helps to save lots of money. Not only going for vacation spends more money, but even going out (doing errands or just simple outing) spends more money as well. It really helps to save more money if we just stay at home and eat at home too. The place that I always bring my children to is the park nearby where we don't spend any money and it's just by walking distance.

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's smart way for sure. Going to park will be surely mind refreshing for both us and kids. And yes it will surely not cost more compare to going for some restaurant or shopping mall. So its really smart move. I am sure kids can enjoy lot more in park compare to those shopping malls and others. And yes we can save lots of money by following that.

18. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    Seriously as a wanderlust, I don't like to skip plans for saving money. Rather I choose a different way of saving so that I can roam and save both at the same time.

#18Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
  19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You usually need that time away or even time at home away from work to rest and recharge your batteries, I think it is important to give yourself that time away, and put vacation as a mandatory item in your budget every year. Go somewhere close to home if you can't afford to take a long vacation.

20. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely go on vacations, aside from saving money, I don't actually have the time. I mean I have my hands full at the moment. I'm just thinking that I can be busy for a few years working and building my own business little by little, time will come I can afford to go on a year of vacation without worrying about money.