Avon VS Mary Kay

Discussion in Product Reviews started by dorothymoreno • Feb 18, 2013.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I like the AVON products better simply because they aren't as expensive as Mary Kay and are just as good as Mary kay. Also, I think that if you are going to get into selling products from one of these i think Avon is better. The reason I think that is because with Mary Kay you have to be investing so much money just to get started and then you don't really make anything. A lot of people don't want to pay the price for some of these products with Mary Kay especially when you can find the same product with Avon at a better price. What is your opinion whether buying or selling, which do you think is better Avon or Mary Kay?

2. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    As a consumer I like Mary Kay foundations and cosmetics. It stays on longer and goes on smoother. As for skin care I love Avon's Anew range because it really works and does not cost as much as Mary Kay products. Although admittedly Mary Kay's skin care range feels more luxurious it just costs too much and as a seller of the products it’s hard to move. Avon on the other hand is much easier to sell because its prices are more reasonable.

3. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I am so thankful to see this listed! I have been doing my research on both of them. I have been ask to become a Mary Kay Consultant and I love the lady that ask me. It seems like she is so positive! I ask her this question and she kinda put it that they are kind of on two different levels. That Avon is a great product but our true competion is like Lancome, Merle Norman, Clinique, and etc. Once you said that it gave me a better understanding. I was thinking the same thing that it is very expensive to get started, but with the starter kit that you get, the Value is amazing,so I look at it as if you purchase the kit and you do not make one sale, you get your money worth in products. I am excited and I have felt in love with the Satin Hands and Lips. I think if you see a result in one use, imagine if you use the product frequently. Also the products seem to be lasting long, because the little amount that she allowed us to use in the Pampering Session was great! I had a wonderful experience and cannot wait to be a part of the team.My cousin is a Consultant of Mary Kay too and she loves it! She says she spends most of her money on product that she makes for herself, so she does not see as much results as she want, but she said the product speaks for itself. Avon, is great for the price and gives more variety, so I can see where she says that Avon is more compatible with Walmart, Target, and other Retail stores. I do love Avon's Far Away perfume and foot scrubs :)

Trish, do you like Mary Kay Foundation powder or liquid. I liked the powder, but the liquid comes in more shades? What do you recommend for a Newbie?

#3Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I prefer Avon as well. It has actually been years since I have even tried Mary Kay cosmetics. Also, I have to wonder does Mary Kay offer other types of items such as Jewelry. For me one of the main attractions with Avon was their great prices on very stylish jewelry items. I also like their foundation that was similar to bare minerals as well. As for Anew I thought it was a good line of skin care the only issue I had with it was the strong scent the products had. In any case I do tend to prefer Avon over Mary Kay.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've never come across Mary Kay, but I've sold and used Avon for around 40 years. I love the Anew skin care range, and the Far Away perfume, also the Skin so Soft range and the Bronze sunscreens and aftersun products. Avon make up lasts for hours on the skin, and the shades don't change. As I said, I don't know anything about Mary Kay - maybe it's just an American product range, and not available in Europe. However, I've used Avon for most of my life, and never had a problem, so I'd recommend it to anyone.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used much Avon, but I do love the Mary Kay skincare products. I love the Satin Hands product. It's my favorite. I think there is one for the feet too. I know a few Avon reps, but I don't know of any Mary Kay reps.

7. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I only use one product from Mary Kay and it's their Loose Powder. I love it and it's one product I'll continuously purchase from them. I use it to set my Maybelline 24 hour liquid foundation and it does the job and matches my complexion perfectly. I had a Mary Kay liquid foundation in the past but I didn't use it much and eventually ended up throwing it away.

I have to say I would prefer Avon over Mary Kay because of their variety of products from cute costume jewelry to cosmetics and body products. Put a book in front of me and I'm bound to find something I want to order. I absolutely love their Skin So Soft bath oil in soft & sensual. Anytime I come across a seller and place an order I always order that. I also love their jewelry sets that are usually only $14.99 or even $9.99. I tried their mineral make-up kit but unfortunately the foundation was the wrong shade. I've also purchased an eyeliner and mascara in the past and I remember loving them both.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't wear much make, just skin care. Both brands have a product I like it's Skin So Soft from Avon, and the eyeliner from Mary Kay, it is the only one I have found that does not make my eyes sore.

I feel Avon is easier to sell than Mary Kay because of the price point. Avon offers items other than make up and skin care to help the rep make money.

9. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    Most of you have addressed my concerns about Mary Kay versus Avon. I love Mary Kay, because I have seen the most personable and positive females who love what they do. With Avon the women that I have met just throws(not literally) a book and let you pick out something for yourself. Now, if you like colors and foundations, if you chose out of a book without knowing what is best it seems like they would have a bad experience and not want to order again. Now, with Mary Kay you have books as well, but seems like the women I have met like to have their pampering sessions or one on ones where they can play around and have fun kind of like a sleep over. I guess its all in how you market your brand. I do like the fact that Avon has more to offer and its cheaper because it does appeal to more people. I think if I knew what all came in the Avon Kit, it may would be easier to decide! I will have to ask about the Mary Kay Satin product for your feet, because I would love to see how that feels on my feet! The Lips and Hands are amazing! I also love their mascara!

10. Christena Batiste

Christena BatisteNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a Independent Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay and would be happy to help you

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried a Mary Kay product once a few years back and it was a liquid foundation. I can say that the quality is great and it didn't cause me any irritations whatsoever. However, what I've noticed is that it easily wears off if you're sweating compared with other liquid foundations and BB creams that I've used. Plus the price is too expensive. I've tried Avon as well and what I like about their products is that it's affordable and long lasting (though I haven't tried their liquid foundation yet). I was a fan of their mascara called Curlacious but unfortunately, they discontinued it for some reasons.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not had any experience with Mary Kay but I do know that they are out of my price range. Avon is more affordable, although I cannot wear their eye shadow because I am allergic to it. I do like their hand creams and facial cleansers. Avon has great sales for their products and you can sometimes find some of their more expensive facial creams more affordable.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This really seems to be the battle of the big two, but I really could not say that I know much of the difference. I do know that these are the two that you always find people pushing, so ideally that means that they work.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought and used both, and I prefer Mary Kay over Avon, even though Mary Kay is more expensive when it comes to certain items. I've bought lipsticks, lotions, perfumes, and bubble bath from Avon, and they were fine, but Mary Kay's products are the products that I would choose if I could only buy from one company.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Avon also have products beyond cosmetics and undergarments. hey also have Kitchen utensils, Jewelry and other stuff. My lunch boxes and my knife set is from Avon. They are trying to expand their market. They also have health supplements.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Avon came into my life in the form of a perfume sachet - a tiny tin. Little did I know that Avon has diversified going by what I read here. I have not gone beyond the cream perfume but surely their products must compare well with that endless list of products that they are now marketing. I have not tried Mary Kay. Amazon in perhaps will be selling their products.

17. Christena Batiste

Threads:

18. Christena Batiste

Threads:
    I have seen some of Mary Kay products on Amazon but it goes against policy on where we should advertise. Would you like to try Mary Kay?

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand anything at all about it, but my girlfriend would certainly respond "Mary Kay". She is totally addicted to the products of that company. o_O

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Avon products may appear cheaper compared to Mary Kay a very good question to ask which of these two products is better on you. When buying items before talking about the price it's fine to be sure you going for the most trusted quality. Mary Kay in my view has a better reputation, I'd prefer her products, besides the difference in their prices are not that much I think.

#20Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017