Baby Crib or Pack N' Play

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by zoeysmama2011 • Apr 18, 2013.

1. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I'm moving soon and I'm struggling to decide whether or not to go for the crib or a pack n' play. We are working with limited space. My baby girl is 19 months old but she is small for her age. She's not ready for a toddler bed yet. The crib that I would buy can be converted to a toddler bed later, but takes up a considerable amount of space. A pack n' play would take up less space, but I'm afraid she might be able to knock it on it's side soon and she also may not be fond of sleeping in t pack n' play because it doesn't have the comfort of the toddler mattress. Also the crib will cost more but ending up being worth it. The pack n play will be a lot less but at some point I will be buying a toddler bed anyway. I'm at a crossroad here. And to make it a lot harder, Hubby is more into the idea of the pack n'play. What do I do? What makes more sense?

2. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    I had the same sentiments, but chose pack and play anyways. It is true that it does not have the same amount of comfort a crib could provide, so I just added extra cushion to it and viola, comfortable sleeping time for the little one! I bought a thick foam, had to request to cut it according to the pack n play's size, chose a dainty and bright sheet to cover it, and it looked nice for our baby. It is true that you will buy a toddler bed anyways, so, yeah, my vote goes for the pack n play.

3. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks, Marciana. I ended up going for the pack n play. I found a pack n play mattress at Babies R Us, but it seemed to thin. I found a mattress on amazon that was thicker, and fit the pack n play perfectly with no gaps. I covered that with with a quilted pack n play sheet for even more cushion. She loves it! The only problem is that, on the first day she was trying to hoist herself over the side, legs first. Lol. So, we have the pack n play now, but will be buying the toddler bed in about 6 months for her 2nd birthday. Thank you for your input.

4. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    Pack n Play makes the most sense if you are limited on space. I know my daughter spent more time in the pack n play than she did in her crib anyways, so there wasn't really a need for both. She just could have used the pack n play. Although our crib did convert to a toddler bed, by the time she was ready to use it, along came baby number 2 a few months later. So she had to move into a big bed anyways and have the crib for my little one. (By this time we had downsized and didn't have room for the crib and pack n play, so we just had the crib.) SO long story short, I vote pack n play.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be smarter to get the crib that turns into a toddler bed because it will save you money later. A pack and play is not to sleep in all the time it's more of a travel item for the kids to play and nap in. But it can be knocked over very easily and it isn't very comfortable. I think the crib is a better idea you want your baby to be safe and comfortable.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I think you've already answered your question when you wrote that the crib will cost more, but it will be worth it. I think the long run is something to consider, but really the most important thing is your daughter's comfort. I would not want to sacrifice the comfort of my baby just to save a few dollars in the short term. I don't think it's worth it.