Baby talk to your pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Aug 27, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone talk baby talk to your pets? I have to admit I'm guilty of this lol. I can't help it when I look at their cute little faces and I find myself breaking into baby talk. I don't do this around other people just when I'm alone though. They seem to actually get a kick out it too.

2. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I talk to my pets. I don't think it is as silly as it seems, I am sure it has some benefits, like helping improve the bond between the two of you, plus making them more familiar with your voice. It can be a bit weird in public I admit, but most people do it so do not worry. I don't baby talk as such though, more like talking to my pets as equals. hehe

3. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I always talk to my pets. My cats are part of our family. Now, I don't talk baby talk to them. I haven't been fond of that. I talk to them like they are another person. I know they can't answer me back but still. Maybe that is weirder?

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Totally! As a matter of fact, I was just baby talking with my dog before opening this post! Not sure if this is a Habit I acquired myself, or if my mom had an influence to it. She's a veterinarian and she always baby talks every single animal she finds, and that includes birds... I think it's cute to baby talk with your dog or cat. It's like they understand that your tone is loving and cuddly and respond accordingly.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I talk to my cats. Not so much like baby talk, just normal talk but sometimes with a sweeter voice. I like to call them by their names too and I think it's a good idea because now they all respond to their names and not each others names, also they know the sound of my voice well which has worked out to be a good thing in case of emergencies, like when my cat was trapped inside a building and a guy had to help me get him out, an the cat was starting to attack him and after listening to my voice calmed down in the strangers arms and then it was easier getting him inside the kennel.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid it so I have only caught doing this on occasion. I do talk to my animals all the time though. This is not silly though as animals are very smart. Most of the time they can understand what you're saying. The problem is whether they will listen when you're trying to get them to do something.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I talk a lot to my pets. I usually love it that it is always there for me whenever I need it. I actually feel that it understands quite a lot about what you are talking. Animals are capable of understanding human bogy language and speech to a great extent, one of the reasons why they live in such great harmony with humans. There is no harm when a person speaks to a particular pet, however, it is really frustrating that you can never see them reply to you. Speaking to animals also helps you to deepen your relationship with them and helps to become great friends.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people, I believe, talk to their pets in one way or another. There was some scientific journal I read which claimed that most animals communicate with their eyes so if you can learn to read the message in their eyes, the communication could be two-way. But I wonder if anyone has ever decoded their form of communication?

That said, I'm also guilty of talking to my pets. I've never done baby talk so I wouldn't know how to begin which leaves me with just one option - talk to the pet like a real person.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, and the funny thing is they seem to know what I'm saying half the time. Although a majority of the time they're ignoring me because I'm just talking baby talk just to talk baby talk and they've gotten used to hearing my chatter in the background while they're half falling asleep.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    It's possible to decode some of their messages. My cats are all different. Some more vocal than others. Each meow sound has a meaning. I can pretty much tell when I hear a meow which cat it is and what they want. My oldest cat Luna has a different sound for each of these: "I'm hungry", "The littlerbox is dirty", "I miss you play with me now" (it's the sound she makes when I get back after being all day away), "Leave me alone" (sometimes directed at me but mostly to the other cats), "Help me I'm stuck somewhere!", etc. And there's also the looks and overall body lenguage.

11. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I definitely am guilty of this. Little animals especially feel like babies to me no matter their age. They're just so darn cute lol. Just like babies. I think it is honestly something I can't prevent. My body just does it lol.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't really baby talk, but I speak to my cat like I'm speaking to a normal person. My tone just changes from time to time depending on what I'm saying. I don't think there's anything wrong in doing baby talk to your pet, it just goes to show how much you love them.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think the policy for when it's acceptable to baby talk to your pets is that is not too weird when they are little puppies or kittens.
    After they grow up it's just weird to see people doing it, and I know a few people who do it.
    I do talk to my dog, but I stopped baby-talking to him a long time ago.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't do it because I'm not used to doing it and I don't even do it to the human kids in my family. I think it's adorable when some other people do it though, especially ones who are able to do it in a comedic manner. I've seen a few videos online of some people talking like this to their pets and some of them were entertaining while some felt kind of off, but, as long as everyone has a good time and the pets don't get hurt I don't see any harm in it.