Back To School Sales

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Aug 2, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It looks like back to school sales are starting. I love to take advantage of these. One of my kids is still in school, so some of it is necessary. Buying back to school items for other uses, also works.

It's a perfect time for stocking up on some things for the home office or to use as craft supplies. I just bought glue sticks at Dollar General for only 10 cents each, for example. If they are decent, I'll be back for lots more at that price.

What do you buy at back to school sales that isn't necessarily for school?

2. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    Absolutely, taking advantage of these sales is a great idea. There's always things you can buy and save for next semester. I think it's better to get them now than when the back to school rush really kicks in. I get supplies for the office like extra paper, binders, we even got super cheap backpacks recently, we'll use for a trip. You never know what you can find.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I can't believe it is already time for back to school. I just got my kids registered at their new school and still have to go over their list of items they will need. I think it is great that stores do big sales to make everything they need for school so much cheaper. You got a good deal on glue sticks. I just bought a pack of 30 from Amazon that were $0.25 each. They were Elmer glue brand. I will be on the look out for notebooks, pens, erasers, loose leaf paper, and probably much much more. They usually have a list that seems a mile long. Luckily, I still have some things from last year that they didn't use.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great deal for brand name glue sticks. I would have taken that deal too.

The lists seem to grow every year, don't they?

Spiral notebooks are usually cheapest at Walmart, at least around here. I used to get them for 10 cents each. Last year they were 17 cents. Now, I think they are a quarter. That's still quite cheap. I used to pick up a case at the back to school sale and then have enough for the year. I still have some left over from last year this time, since I only have one child at home now.

The loose leaf paper is under $1.00 as well. They have cheap binders, but the ones that are the next step up are a bit better and sturdier. The cheap ones are a buck, the next ones are 2 bucks (unless you are okay with all white... white ones are just over a buck and a half).

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when the notebooks would be on sale for $.10. Even at $.17 that is still a good deal. I was able to find a couple of backpacks at a thrift store that were still in really good shape that they can use this year. The price of them are so high especially when my son's gets destroyed half way through the year. I also found a couple of lunch boxes that were on clearance and I was lucky that one had pink on it and the other one was blue. It was like I was meant to find them.

The only other thing I am going to have to shop for is some pants for my son. My daughter's friend gave her a bunch of clothes that she didn't fit anymore so she is pretty much set for the year.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It seems like that prices would be going up with demand. Isn't that how it normally works? For instance, once school is over, then it seems like prices should come down.

Anyway, if the back to school places want to increase business, then how is their sale going to make a difference, when all the other ones are doing the same?

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There are end of the school year sales as well. These usually include thing like backpacks, shoes, jackets, etc. rather than school supplies. The back to school sales focus more on supplies and some even provide the lists from nearby schools for what is needed.

Different stores will have featured items for super cheap, while there other stuff isn't. For example, Walmart has the cheap notebooks and a few other items. Another store will feature different things like glue or pencils at really low prices. While you could just buy everything at one store and take whatever deals you can get, you can save a lot more by visiting a variety of places (if they aren't too far apart).