Backpacking

Discussion in Travel started by cluckeyo • May 30, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Backpacking makes for a really fun vacation. Though at times you need to do it, I personally never enjoyed going and spending big money on a plane ride and then more big money on hotel then more big money on restaurant food then more big money on some kind of city entertainment. It's just not up my alley. Backpacking is a great adventure. You learn a lot and you test your abilities. And you experience all the outdoors has to offer. And once you get your equipment, it is way cheap!

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Backpacking is an exciting experience. I did it when I was on vacations around Andean mountain range in Argentina, Perú or Chile. Since is in South America, you don't need to spent much $$ for food and trinkets. Inns and bus transportation are also affordable, but if you have the courage and endurance to hit the road, then go ahead.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    If I am still single and travels alone, I would certainly opt for backpacking. I think you can be far more immersed with the culture and tradition this way. You won't have to spend a ton just to enjoy your trip. You can eat local cuisine for a cheaper price. Though you won't get comfortable beds, it's fine, because it isn't really what the whole trip is all about. You get to ride the local public transportation vehicles in that country too. You get to meet people who have the same interests as you.

But since I do have a family now, backpacking isn't as desirable or even appropriate for us. We have our son with us and we really don't want him to suffer if we opt for cheaper alternatives. We don't choose the most expensive accommodations but we still choose at least cleaner ones. When it comes to transportation, we opt for cabs or rented cars. With food, we have to eat at restaurants as his little tummy cannot take street foods at this time. Plus, we wouldn't want to risk him to certain diseases.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before I make a relevant comment, may I just say that I was able to buy a discounted plane ticket last night. It was a promo of the Visa credit card. They texted me the promo code so I availed of the offer by purchasing tickets for Hongkong on June 25 with return tickets for June 27. Yes, just 2 nights for a short vacation. Total cost for 2 round trip tickets - 16,000 pesos, that's less than $400.

We had planned on backpacking to save on hotel expenses. However, we are used to the convenience when traveling so it was voted out. But the real reason is our age - we may be too old for backpacking since our bodies would always complain of excessive walking and undue fatigue. In my first paragraph, that 2 nights stay in Hongkong would probably be in a hotel.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always dreamed of backpacking i feel like if I've checked this goal off my list, i feel like some sort of a spiritual experience have been fulfilled but I'm in no position to go on a backpacking adventure at this time. I need to save up first and then hopefully make a definitely plan with friends on how to go about this backpacking trip.

6. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I agreed ,
    I tried it more then once. I must say it this way we can reduce our travel charges and enjoy lots of fun as we want. This way of travel has its own charm as well as little bit hardships.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I guess it just depends on the person as for me it doesn't really sound very appealing because of the many compromises you'd have to put up with. I do understand that for some that is part of the adventure but for me traveling means a lot more relaxation than discovery so it's what I give more importance to. I've seen a lot of videos online of travelers backpacking through countries and as much as it does sound appealing to hear how much less they pay I just don't think if enjoy it as much personally though it is enjoyable and interesting to watch.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    In my early 20s I always planned to go backpacking to diverse foreign places but since I got pregnant shortly before turning 21 I was not able to do it and just postponed it for a later time. Now I am 34 years old, luckily I was able to travel to many different places by plane and have always enjoyed travelling and being on an adventure but deepdown I still want to go backpacking and hopefully I can do it sometime soon.
    It must bring a lot of challenges with it but I think it will be a way of working on myself and improving who I am as well as learning what I want to do with my life.
    We never stop learning....

9. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I currently live in a bustling city so whenever I decide to travel, I always go to a place where there are less people and there are mountains to climb and explore. It’s easy to fall in love with backpacking and I definitely did. Whenever I have free days, I go for hikes and climbs.

10. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I love backpacking! I do have trouble staying hydrated when it is very hot. I have had to cut more than one hiking trip short after becoming severely dehydrated. It seems to be a learning process for me anyway. At first I packed to heavy, then not enough. I guess short trips may be better for me than long ones until I figure it out!

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was always so excited to go backpacking when I was younger, and I still really wish that I would. However with work, pets and a fiancé it gets a little hard. I'm scared that I will get too old to go backpacking and will end up never doing it. It surely would be something I will regret looking back in my life when I am old.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,I think with backpacking on a trip, you can see so much this way,and its so simple and free when you can come and go when yo want,also it keeps you in really good shape. The price of living is so much cheaper without the cost of expensive hotels and rental cars, and overall I think backpacking can become a lifestyle and not just one trip.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I went backpacking once in my life and I really enjoyed it. It was with a group of friends and we decided it would be fun to go out and enjoy what nature has to offer. One of my friends had been backpacking before so he had all the equipment. We also took our own food to keep away from restaurants since they were a bit far from where we were.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My niece is a backpacker. She travels with friends who are also backpackers. They usually stay in cheap inns for reasons that they only spend the night there. Backpacking means a light travel with just a bag so you can go anywhere. However, I am old for that kind of travel because what I need is comfort and convenience. I don’t think I can sleep when there is no airconditioning. I also want a room with a refrigerator. Okay, I spend for that and maybe I value my enjoyment more than the money I spend.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Backpacking is a different feeling and I love it. I always enjoyed it and I feel like when it is taken alone it will be a good refreshment for you. You will spend more time for yourself, thinking and replenishing and also it is one of the best ways to beat off stress. :)

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I love enjoying backpacking. It gives me great pleasure and I am sure that this will be really a fun way to keep it more up for a thing like it always.