Bacon, bacon, bacon everywhere there's bacon.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Pocs • Aug 6, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Do we consume too much bacon?

The last few years bacon has been more than a breakfast food. It's a topping, a condiment, a snack, a flavoring, you get the picture. Even the new dessert bacon creations are getting the attention, chocolate dipped bacon or bacon ice cream anyone. Which by the way are yummie, even if they don't sound it. It's just a wonderful world of bacon. A little unhealthy, maybe, but isn't it worth it to tempt faith a little for a glorious piece or two of smokey flavored bacon.

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I have actually never tried bacon. It's not a tradition where I live in. Although it looks delicious!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the bacon and bacon concoctions are delicious but I'm sick of the marketing and the slogan "bacon makes everything better". Once hipsters caught on to bacon and started wearing ironic bacon t-shirts and posting bacon memes on the internet, it started to get annoying. There are bacon neckties and Band-Aids, that's what bugs me, not bacon desserts.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Bacon is the best food ever, and not even hipsters can ruin it for me. In fact I'm tired of letting hipsters ruin things, because that gives the little idiots far too much power. Also bacon ice cream with chocolate syrup and a nice doughnut with bacon sandwich is a great treat... or dinner. It happens.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Gross. Just do not like bacon. Had a very bad experience with it once...and there has been no going back. Mind you, I used to love it...but no longer. They have gone overboard with bacon too, I remember ordering simple chips at a restaurant and it came topped with bacon! Without me asking for it. A few years prior that would have filled me with joy but at that point in time and now: no to bacon.

6. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I love crispy bacon on a sandwich. My favorite would be a BLT with mayo piled very high. I think bacon gives any sandwich a kick. I know too much of it is not very healthy but why not. Some bacon on the fast food sandwiches I do not find to satisfying. I prefer to make my own sandwich. I am picky of the type of bacon I buy.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I eat bacon regularly, but really not that often. I think it's perfectly fine to have in small amounts, but I just don't have an obsession with it like everybody else seems to.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that there could be a situation in which there was too much bacon. Granted, I haven't tried some of the more outlandish bacon concoctions, but that still may be good, I just haven't tried it. But, no, for the most part, bacon is a very healthy part of my diet, so I'll never say that there is too much of it.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care for bacon. I like it in a BLT but that's about it for me. I like the smell of cooking bacon and I will cook for my family but I don't eat it.

10. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Growing up I ate bacon very often, but I have not eaten it in years. I never ate it as a topping or etc the way its being marketed now. I used to only eat a few strips for breakfast. Today we have Bacon milkshake and sundaes. I would never have thought bacon could have been incorporated into so many different things. We consume too much of a lot of things such as soda, candy, and junk food. I it best to eat anything that is considered unhealthy in moderation. I love ice cream, but I only eat it as a treat once or twice a month.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's become a hipster fad, just like duck fat fries, poutine, and others. Seeing people like Paula Deen just go all out and make the most gluttonous recipes on TV I guess helped inspire it, in all its absurdity. Chef Michael Symon has a milkshake at one of his restaurants that's Vanilla Ice Cream blended with a slice of Apple Pie and Bacon. He also serves a veggie burger on the menu and it states you can add bacon to it for free.

12. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    where in the world do you live that you have never tried bacon? Bacon is a staple in most households in nearly all the states I have lived in. I say nearly because in Delaware instead of bacon it was bacon's long lost cousin Scrapple

And from my point of view...Scrapple scraps need to be left on the floor, scrapple is nasty! And in Delaware they have the Apple Scrapple Fest but what do you expect from the founders of the Punkin Chunkin

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dang, that sandwich sounds kind of good. So you just put bacon between a couple of glazed doughnuts? Why must the most delicious stuff be crammed with fat and sugar?
    I wish I lived in an alternate reality where celery was bad for you and doughnuts gave you 6 pack abs. :D

14. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Meat in general sponsors obesity, chopped up dead animals? No thanks, stay healthy. @ Vege

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I will just assume that whoever made your scrapple didn't know what they were doing as it's great. Not as good as bacon, but definitely a great breakfast option in its own right.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen or heard of any strange bacon concoctions, but I love bacon. I haven't eaten it in awhile though. My neighbor makes bacon every morning and it's just torture to smell it. I love a BLT. It's my favorite sandwich. I also love a club with bacon.

17. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    You can never have too much bacon. I love bacon! I've ordered bacon jerky, candy bacon, peanut butter chocolate bacon strips, Haha. But in all seriousness I heard bacon with out the nitrite preservatives is actually a lot better for you, It still isn't good for you though. There are some really weird bacon items, like bacon coffee, But honestly I don't think it would be that bad. I can imagine bacon going good with a lot of things after all the stuff I've liked. I'm also curious where the guy who hasn't tried bacon lives.

18. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I like bacon but not enough to have it for dessert. I will stick to bacon for breakfast and BLTs. i would be afraid of wearing bacon that someone's dog or cat would be attacking me. I have heard of the bacon extremities you all mentions. I heard of fairs serving chocolate dips bacon which to me don't sound all that great.

19. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Bacon is awesome. Nothing on Earth is better than a BLT with a pound of B. Burger King now has a bacon sundae; it looks so bad but so good at the same time.

20. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I am about to share a piece of information that will make every true lover of bacon and fried foods get weak in the knees. There is a little town called Snook, Texas, that is about 15 miles south of College Station, Texas (home of Texas A&M University) that has a small restaurant called Sodolak's Original Country Inn. This restaurant offers chicken fried bacon served with a side of cream gravy - battered, deep-fried bacon with homemade gravy for a dipping sauce. This is about as unhealthy as it gets, but words cannot do justice to how DELICIOUS this creation is. I don't care if you live in Buffalo, New York - if you love bacon, find a way to come to Texas and try this place. You will not be disappointed.