Bad Food From Grocery Stores?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by kingusama92 • May 27, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have issues with some grocery items, mostly bread. I always take it back to the store. I've had problems getting a replacement. It helps that my favorite grocery stores are within walking distance. ;)

2. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I know my mother was and is still big on going back to the store and getting the product replaced. Even if it was something little that is of minimal worth in the long run of things, she wants it replaced.

Money value 101.

3. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    If people don't return the items and get money back / replacement then just think of all of the money the stores are making for selling crap. Totally bring the stuff back.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I used to just throw it away and call it a loss. But now since every penny counts, I take it back and either get a good one, or my money back. I have no room to through things away anymore.

5. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Fruit going bad is a common problem. I do nothing for this. Other than that the milk turns sometimes but I rarely have the time or inclination to do anything about it. That would be about it for me. I have not found any mice or anything in any packages.
    Whole beans, especially the frozen ones, often seem to have a number of stems, annoying but harmless.

6. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    This has happened to me a few times, and I can tell you, it's not a pleasant thing. Just recently, I got some yogurt at Whole Foods and it was filled with thick chunks and mold. I was surprised because this was my first run in with a bad product from Whole Foods. I was contemplating on weather or not to go and return it, but in the end, I just tossed it. One thing of yogurt was not enough to make me drive out to the store again.

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Recently I purchased a small carton of spinach that appeared fresh. My husband opened the container later that same day and the leaves had become mushy, wilted and seemed to be "leaking". My husband was able to get an even exchange. Back in my younger years, I would just throw out the "bad" food, but now that we are on a strict budget, every penny counts. Our local grocery store is about a 2 mile drive from our house, so I have no hesitation about returning or exchanging a product if needed.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've returned bad meat to the grocery store. Unfortunately this has even happened to me several times at Trader Joes, so I quit buying meat there. When I got it home and opened the package it reeked of a sulphur-like smell. I mean, it's not like they can argue with you about it, all you gotta do is bring it in with your receipt and ask them to get a whiff of it. Although I've read that some stores inject some kind of gas into the packaged meat to keep it bright red looking, nitrogen possibly, and that the smell common when they do that - the meat isn't contaminated or spoiled. But I'm not taking my chances, and the smell was so awful it turned my stomach.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't had that happen to me but I would absolutely go back and return the food at the store. They will give you all your money back or exchange it with no problem. How gross. Yuk!

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I would take it back to the store. This has only happened to me once, and the store let me exchange it for something else.

11. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would definitely take it back. I've bought cottage cheese before, checked the expiration date and all, and then when I opened it, it had a big green spot on the side. It was so gross. Needless to say, I didn't want cottage cheese for a while after that. Maybe it was left out too long transporting it? But the store apologized and gave me a refund.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought a sliced bread which has molds on it. It wasn't expired at all since I can see its labelled date. Maybe I was just in a hurry going home to feed my pets and go online :D I can't return the bread however because its 8 miles from home.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The other thing to remember is it's important for the store to know if something is bad, there might be a problem with their refrigeration, there might be a problem with certain employee(s) not rotating or stocking items correctly, there might be an issue with their distributors, etc. Especially if its a store that you shop at regularly.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it's not the store's fault. I have witnessed people decide they don't want the milk or cheese anymore and they leave it in the shoe section or garden center of Walmart. Sometimes, to be kind I stick the milk in the nearest soda refrigerator to where I am, even though it's not my responsibility. I would hate to be the poor customer that buys a gallon of milk that was abandoned in the shoe section of Walmart.

15. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    I bought some bread and I reached my hand inside the bag, and there was mold. I immediately threw it out . I learned that the bread in the back of the shelves is newer and it's less likely to have mold. From that point on I inspect the bread before I buy it, so I won't make that mistake again.

16. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had anything as bad as mold. We did get a store brand frozen chicken product once that tasted awful. The box said they guaranteed it. We called and told them we didn't like it. They refunded the purchase price. It was all pretty easy.

17. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    A couple of years ago, my husband and I bought Stouffers lasagna from the freezer section at the grocery store. Initially, we didn't have a problem. The following day we both woke up complaining of stomach pain. My husband left to work and called me 3 hours later asking me to pick him up. He was so sick he couldn't drive himself home. As soon as I made it to the parking lot, I threw up most of what I had eaten the night before. We both had a horrible case of food poisoning. We were so sick to care to complain at the moment. We never called or complained. We've never bought freezer food again.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I haven't experienced buying bad food from any grocery store, but when I was a kid, my mom asked me to buy bread from a small bakery near our house. When I got home, the bread had molds on it already, so my mom told me to return the bread to the bakery. They replaced it.

19. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    Yes, I bought a bag of flour from the grocery store a couple of weeks ago because I was going to bake a cake. When I got home and opened the bag, there were small worms crawling throughout it. I immediately took it back to the store and they replaced it. Turns out, it was old and about to expire in a few months. I was a bit disgusted.

20. celltown

celltownNew Member

Threads:
    We bought some premade hamburger patties at Winco.
    Started cooking them and they smelled sooooo nasty! I took the uncooked ones back and the lady was rude to me about it because I wanted my money back? Really gave me a store credit.