Bad gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by xcmiller93x • May 3, 2012.

1. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I once got a cardboard box off my brother containing a rock (as a joke, of course). I don't think you can get much worse than that...

2. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a really appreciative man so I really appreciate all the gifts that I receive whatever they are. However, if I were to say what gift I don't use the most, then it would have to be the clutch bag that I received from my friend last Christmas. I have too many clutch bags already and I don't really use them that much because I prefer a back pack every time I go out.

3. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I can't say I have gotten a bad gift per say but if I was to go back to my high school days, I really did receive a bad gift from one of my aunts. I kind of figured that she was being funny or something. She gave me a slip for graduation and she gave my cousin a very nice blouse and I didn't appreciate that because I know she didn't like me and always bought my cousin better things and since she and I was graduating the same day, I have always asked myself that a million times. I'd rather she not buy me anything at all.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't like receiving clothes and cheap or fake stuff. I know it's the thought that counts, but since I'm a very picky person in general, it also influences my choice of items. I'd rather not receive anything instead if I don't get to pick what I want. My family knows me so well, that when they give me a gift, it is just money so that I can just buy whatever it is that I like.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I can't really say I've received the worst gift. I'm grateful and thankful for anything that anyone gets for me. However, if I have to pick one thing, it's a very ugly watch my mother gave me, which was the same year she threw my gifts I gave to her out the balcony (from the 18th floor). We had a huge fight that day, which was quite common.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    A bad gift would be a pair of socks for me. I don't know what that would mean but I do wear socks and have many pair. If you don't know what to give someone just give them a gift card, so they can buy themselves a present.

7. sanjusahu

sanjusahuNew Member

Threads:
    If one didn't get atleast one gift in a life, it will be more embarassing, I think no one except orphans is there in that type of situation but i am there saying proudly. When i try to give gift to some one i think of their intrests, personality and mostly the occasion to delight surely the reciever.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Every year I get dozens of pairs or socks and lots of cans of deodorant! Last year I received 42 pairs of socks and 21 cans of deodorants - I think people are trying to tell me something! :p

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the baskets of lotions are just a sign that someone doesn't care. They're already packaged and don't require any effort or thought. I don't feel anything emotionally when someone gives me a little basket with a bottle of lotion and a bottle of bath gel in it. A handmade gift or a potted plant would be more personal.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with this. It feels very hurried and last minute, and I personally would actually prefer it if the one who gives it just saved himself or herself the stress. :) But I am still appreciative of course.

My worse gifts received are clocks, for the very same reason.

11. kareo000

kareo000New Member

Threads:
    Gist is not bad dude.....

12. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    Nightingale droppings. Yes, really.

You see, they're an ancient Chinese beauty secret, and my sister picked up a pocket on a trip to Japan. She originally intended to keep it for the shock value, but decided she would give it to a member of the family she didn't like instead. I got wind of this on the night before Christmas, and didn't like the idea of the ensuing family drama, so I convinced her to switch the tag to give it to me instead, and give the other family member whatever it was she got me. So Christmas morning everybody has a good laugh at my expense, and I content myself with knowing I averted some family drama and that the show and tell shock value of the nightingale droppings is now mine to command.

On the morning after Christmas, my sister comes down the stairs with the nightingale droppings on her face, saying she'd always wanted to try them and knew I had only asked for them to keep the peace and didn't really want them anyway.

So, to paraphrase the Seinfeld bit, I got degifted, laughed at, and ungifted. But at least I never put nightingale droppings on my face.

13. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think that i never received a bad gift, but that must be because i never receive that many gifts, so everything i get i try to treasure it.