Bad Movie Seqeuls?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Mayvin • Jun 28, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have often thought, why didn't they just leave it at the original movie? Sequels, in my opinion, often bring the standard of the original film down. And if the original is outstanding and unique, it somehow loses its glory if there is a mediocre sequel. It never ends up as a cult movie, but rather as a "good film".
    For example, I really enjoyed to watch "The Bourne Identity". But I felt that the sequels somehow "tainted" the original movie.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is because of the observation (by STAR WARS-producer George Lucas) that people usually will not choose to sit for more than two hours at a time. For instance, it's said that Lucas wrote all six STAR WARS-movies as one big film, but ... are YOU gonna spend half-a-day at the movie-theatre?

But most 'sequelogies' are full of 'individual' stories that are basically recycling the characters & settings of previous movies (like the James Bond 007-franchise.

3. misterv520

misterv520New Member

Threads:
    Off the top of my head, I'd have to say the Transformers series is getting progressively worse and worse. The first one was decent and the move effects were cool but that isn't all you need to make a good film. The most recent one is an example of this. Even my Transformers fanatic cousin said he didn't understand the movie even when he has read and seen most of the Transformers lore.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many bad sequels it isn't even funny. First off, I find many of the sequels in Disney leave you disappointed and are lacking a lot of the "magic" the first movies did. I also feel like the Shrek movies were lacking considerably. The second one was tolerable, the third one blew, and the fourth was tolerable. The sequel and the movies that came after Jaws were terrible. I did not like them one bit. I felt the same way after the Matrix movies, Jurassic Park movies, and Highlander as well. Sometimes you just need to leave it with the first.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Good call. Matrix is probably the worst offender after such an incredible 1st movie, where the next two just went way down-hill. Although it's fairly typical that sequels are going to be worse than the original, the Matrix is one that stands out to me of where the next two movies were just way below the excellence of the first movie.

Although I'd hardly call it a sequel "Blues Brothers 2000" was just an absolute joke compared to the first movie. It tried to copy the same blue-print of the first movie, but it just failed in multiple ways.

6. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    What's weird is that when you go back and watch the original Matrix now, it's not even that good as you remember it to be. I mean, it's alright, but it's not as great as you first thought it to be. Maybe that's just because of the fact that you know about the sequels and all that nonsense though.

7. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    It's not a sequel but a prequel so I'm not sure if it fits here, but it came out after so I see it as a sequel too. For me the Hobbit movies don't do the book justice and I feel like they shouldn't have released them. It's just trying to earn a lot of money by using the name of Lord of the Rings, but it's nowhere close to being as good as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I really enjoyed the Hobbit book, but I just can't fully appreciate the movie, because it's just so boring. Let's hope the last one will be a bit better, because there's finally going to be a big battle again and I hope they can achieve the atmosphere of the Lord of the Rings battles.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that sequels are generally bad and it totally ruins the movie reputation. I don't know but that's what I've noticed. Just last week, I've seen Jump Street 22 and it was so awful. I loved the first movie and then the second one came out and bam! I just don't like it. The plot is basically the same, only this time, they went to college instead of high school which was in the first movie. I think the sequel is really stupid to be honest and so unnecessary.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Batman and Robin, nearly killed the movie franchise and even George Clooney admitted this in a recent interview. The only memorable thing about this movie was Mr. Freeze, who was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, because his acting is always comical - especially when he gets serious.

The Mask 2, simply dump that movie into the garbage, because that's how bad it was.

Pirates of the Carribean sequels, were all annoying, somehow connected convoluted plots, and has been used far too long like a granny prostitute.

Ocean's Twelve and the others, were pointless and stupid.

Beethoven dog movies were super dumb and retarded, including the sequels.

Babe, the piglet movie, was okay but the sequels were horrible to even glimpse at.

Ring 2 was unnecessary to produce and ruined such a good horror movie.

Highlander 2, was a disappointment, because the script writer(s) screwed up and made the Highlanders appear as a bunch of space rebels fighting over a stupid cause, which their conflict spilled over into the world of Earthlings. They should have waited to do this movie later instead, when graphic CGI were more advanced.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dumb and Dumber originally had a stupid, low budget sequel called "Dumb and Dumberer". It didn't even have the original cast. So, I'm glad they're finally making a real sequel with the original cast. It looks promising. Also, the sequel to Mean Girls was absolutely horrendous. It's no wonder it went directly to DVD. The cast had a bunch of nobodies in it, and it didn't even have the same feeling whatsoever of the original Mean Girls movie.

11. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Following what can be a classic original movie, you have a bunch of sequels that continue to descend from the quality of the first film, because Hollywood wants to milk every dollar they can out of the franchises and also partly because we the audience want to keep seeing our favorite movies on the big screen continually. If only they could just make stand-alone movies again, yet I know I'll have to retire that delusional thinking.

While some sequels can be decent, there are some that can be an absolute train wreck. I'll reference my favorite horror movie franchise, Halloween, for an example. I'm pretty positive everyone has seen the iconic Halloween film from 1978. Fast forward some good to decent sequels later and in 2002, you see the biggest pile of crap of a movie, let alone a sequel known as Halloween Resurrection. Words cannot express how terrible that movie is. I have no idea what they were aiming for but it is godawful and atrocious!

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I quite disliked Despicable Me 2, Ice Age 3 and 4, and Madagascar 3. It really felt like the producers were just milking the franchise, trying to drag the storyline further than it should have.

On the other hand some movie franchises have had fantastic sequels. I found the later Fast and Furious movies (except 6, that runway scene was just plan stupid) to be better than their predecessors.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the Charlie's Angels sequel Full Throttle wasn't as impressive as the first movie, which was full of "wham bam" moments. It was relatively flat compared to its first installment. I also didn't like the Shrek sequels. They were never as funny or as lively as the first movie. The second was a bit enjoyable. The third was a little hackneyed and Hollywoodified. The fourth was like a sigh of relief (ah, finally it's over). How to Train Your Dragon 2 was surprisingly just as good as it's predecessor. The 2nd Captain America movie was a great improvement too. So I'll make an exception for these two.