Baked from scratch, and how it differs from store bought

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Cryyo • Jan 2, 2015.

1. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    I don't know if it's placebo or what, but I have been baking all my own bread at home recently, and my god, it is so much better than what I can get anywhere at the store. I'm not even particularly experienced at it yet, and I have had a couple failed attempts, but something about it is different. I think it must be the accomplishment factor, as well as how lovely it is to fill your whole house up with the smell of fresh baked bread! Does anyone here do a lot of baking?

2. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of cooking and baking, yes, because it's generally cheaper (though not always- a great book to check out is Bake the Bread Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese). I think it really depends on what the thing is and your tastes whether something is better than store brought... as well as what store or restaurant you're buying from of course. Being a good cook helps too ;) But overall, when I have the time, I find cooking and baking to be really satisfying and less expensive alternatives to what you can buy in a store!

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    My mom began baking his own cakes and breads when she bought her own oven a few months ago. She's still a beginner but she can already bake some of the basics such as brownies, banana cakes, and chocolate cakes which makes me pack up on my pounds even more. Lol! Anyway I agree with you partly because there's really something in the cakes that my mom bakes. I think that it has to do something with the cakes being made at home. However, there are some gourmet baking stores out there that makes AWESOME desserts.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always fresher and you know exactly what is in it, even if it's a packet mix. The thing with pre packed goods, they have more preservatives in them and sometimes they can be cheaper, but they may use cheaper ingredients. Store bakeries tend to be good, but expensive and I like to see things come out of the oven. Many are frozen and reheated, though some bread items are made in store but using a mix as well.

Baking at home is better, but it does take time and patience and is worth it. I love baking, I just have no one to eat the things I bake right now.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did do a lot of baking and yes, everything you make at home is so much better than in a store. The additives make everything in a store what they think the whole world wants.. everything has to be pillowy soft and ooey gooey and sickeningly sweet. I had a slice of bread a while ago (have't eaten it in ages) and wow.. I was a bread eater before, I didn't notice, but that stuff is awful. Such an unnatural texture and my teeth felt gross and my morning breath the next day, ugh lol. Just once slice.. people don't know what they're doing to themselves lol. At home isn't much better, but it's loads better for you than the stuff in stores. Making stuff at home doesn't make it healthy, it makes it a bit better.. at least you know what's in your food when you make it yourself.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to make my own brownies, muffins and cookies, I like the way it makes the house smell, all warm and welcoming. The taste of homemade is better than store bought and you know what is in the food when you make it yourself. I have a secret ingredient in my brownies that makes even the boxed mix taste homemade, replace the liquid required in the receip with a cup of strong coffee.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have done a lot of baking till now and even I agree that baking can be really useful especially if you prefer fresh bread over anything else. Also it saves you a lot of money as it is quite cheaper. I do believe that it is best to eat fresh bread than anything else.