Barbecue & Steak Sauces

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Sep 4, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm combining the two types of sauces in this thread because I'm not entirely sure that they are that much different, although please just correct me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about the different barbecue sauces you love to use either for cooking or for dipping your cooked barbecue or steak meats into such as ribs and pulled pork. I have some local favorites here and I sometimes also make my own, but I'd love to discover some new ones.

As for steak sauces I have grown up using A1 steak sauce but I honestly don't really like it all that much. I think my family just bought it mostly due to a lack of options, but I'm guessing there are a lot more alternatives nowadays.

0005440000004_500X500.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You can make a basic BBQ sauce with just some ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and hickory liquid smoke - all to taste. Then just build upon that to your liking, maybe some mustard, some hot sauce, etc... Or perhaps cook it down slowly until it reduces and thickens more... you name it.

I'm not too crazy about A1 steak sauce either. I would never use it if I were out at a high end steak house, that would be an insult to all the work they did dry aging the steaks. Although that said, I have seen some of these restaurants offer equally atrocious variations on their steaks, such as coating them with cajun seasonings and broiling blue cheeses over them. That's fine on a cheap, flavorless cut of steak to jazz it up, or even better, a burger. But to do that to a wonderful dry aged ribeye is heresy in my opinion. A1 just tastes too concentrated and it not only overpowers the steak itself, but also all the other side dishes served along with it as well.

Heinz 57 sauce is a bit milder and lighter in taste, in comparison. But it's also much less complex in flavor. It more or less tastes like ketchup mixed with a little mustard, and some extra spice blend added.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    There is a place in Chino Hills, CA that sells awesome BBQ sauce. It's called

and though their food is just okay, I was blown away by the sauce. Normally I prefer a thick tomato-based sauce that is sweet and smoky...and sometimes hot (Texas style). This sauce is more like a glaze but not only is it hot and sweet, it has fresh herbs you can taste! I so much hate that I gave up my BBQ set:p.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to make my own steak sauces. I am not overly fond of the flavor of barbecue though. I much prefer pepper sauce, Diane sauce, stilton sauce or cream and mustard sauce. I do make a sauce that is a bit similar to a barbecue sauce that I use as a marinade. This has tomatoe puree, honey, oil, mustard and worcestor sauce in it. I live in the UK so we do not have A1 sauce, as far as I know, although there are a lot of similar things on the market.

5. johnlena112

johnlena112New Member

Threads:
    Panfried Steak with Quick Barbecue Sauce:
    Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Add steak to skillet and sauté to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting board.

Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.