Barefoot or socks

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All my life I have enjoyed walking around barefoot wherever possible, especially at home. I also only rarely wear socks in my shoes, that includes my sport shoes. My partner always argues with me about this, telling me that I am inviting fungi and all kinds of nasty conditions. But the fact is that he, despite of paying utmost detail to the hygiene of his feet, is prone to the aforementioned afflictions. And I think it has a lot to do with the sanitizers he uses.
    What's the best way for your feet?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Barefoot is best as your feet can breathe, at home obviously you know how clean it is so it's the one place you should be able to be barefoot.

I do wear socks or flip flops in hotels or in a friends house. My friend was offended ans asked if I thought her house wasn't clean, but it was spotless, though she had cats and you never know with cats. I was in another friends house and her dog had pooped on a dark rug, I found out as I nearly slipped in my flip flops, imagine if I hadn't worn them!

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    You will never catch me anywhere without my socks, covering and protecting my feet. I've worn them and favored them my entire life, as they are a warm, comforting and layered protection to feet and can prevent injuries and infections from happening. When I don't have socks on, my feet feel so exposed. The only time I have to take them off is when I have to obviously shower but the rest of the time, they're always on.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go barefoot in the house. If I'm visiting someone then if they don't wear shoes in the house then since I normally wear socks when visiting other people, I'll walk in, in socks. That doesn't mean though that I am a socks-wearer. Normally when working around the home I don't wear socks. I just haven't stopped hating them ever since we wore them daily when I was in boarding school.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear slippers or go barefoot when I'm at home. But when I'm outside the house going somewhere, then I'll just wear flip-flops or sandals.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to just go barefoot inside the house but ever since I stayed home most of the time (after availing early retirement), I noticed that my heels are cracking (becoming very dry). A friend advised me to put petroleum jelly on my cracked heels and wear socks. It worked! :) However, since them I became use to wearing socks all the time inside the house. :D

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like wearing socks at home because it's uncomfortable and it's even dangerous on slippery surfaces. I'd prefer to just go barefoot if I had to choose between the two.but honestly I just use slippers instead. I don't like going barefoot because it dirties up my feet too much and I prefer being able to leap in and out of beds and couches without much worry of dirtying it up.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am usually either barefoot or have shoes on. Socks without shoes to me is kind of weird, I don't like how it feels. I only wear slippers in the morning as they are associated with not being dressed, not ready to go and be productive. Shoes make me feel like I am all the way ready and can get things done. I do have house shoes though that I wear only at home in the winter. They are kind of slipper like in a way, but they are actually a shoe but they are very comfortable.

About the only time I wear just socks is when I am practicing ballet in the kitchen as I need a pretty slick surface on my foot to be able to turn on the linoleum, which has a fair amount of traction.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear socks in the house during the winter to keep my feet warm, during the summer I am bare foot must of the time. When I go to a hotel I always have slippers on or socks because the floors are so dirty in these rooms. A few of the people I know do ask that you take your shoes off when you come into their homes which I do not have a problem with.

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I love barefoot! Complete freedom and all, and it's easier for me to regulate my body heat that way. However, I'd never consider wearing sneakers without socks. Or boots. Or any closed shoe, really. Not necessarily because of fungi, it just sounds weird and like I'd get some different problems from it.

Also, since I took up knitting, I just really really love socks. They're fun to make, and they look awesome. So inside = no socks, except if it's REALLY cold or if it is about wearing my homemade socks. Inside shoes= socks, always.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends. If I'm at home, I'm usually barefoot, except for when it's really cold. When I go out, I have to wear socks though. When it's really hot in the summer and I can't wear them, I don't feel "right".

12. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I prefer wearing socks because my feet are always cold. Even if they aren't getting warm from the socks, at least my cold feet aren't touching my legs in bed making me even colder than I am. In the summer, I wear sandals with no socks but I have to at least have some sort of shoe on. I don't know why that is, I should want to be barefoot especially in the summer, but I just don't.

13. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Barefoot. Almost always, definitely as often as possible, including in places people say invites foot fungus, like showers in campgrounds. I never have foot fungus issues. Fungus can only thrive in dark moist environments. Dry bare feet in the sunlight do not give it anywhere to grow. I even go out places barefoot or will put on only minimal flipflops as long as the weather is above freezing and I don't NEED regular boots or shoes for something.

If I have to wear socks and shoes, I wipe my feet with antibacterial wipes before putting on my socks and shower immediately after if possible. If it's not possible to shower, I wipe my feet with another wipe and then go barefoot after. I just think the insides of shoes are GROSS breeding grounds for all sorts of yuck and a sock is NOT a barrier at all. It is just porous fabric.

I will wear just socks sometimes at home if my feet are cold but if my feet start to feel too warm or sweaty, they come off immediately.

14. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    Either Socks or Barefoot would work for me, but all depends on the situation or environment. I go Barefoot more often than how I have worn socks. Socks were created for the Feet but not the Feet for the Socks. I like to go barefoot in my Sneakers, which I know many persons don't practice; and I like to do socks in my dress shoes which most people like. Some Socks do make your feet more comfortable in certain shoes. I think I operate more agile when I am having fun barefoot than in Socks. However, My father always warned us to wear a socks, and be careful not to pick up any disease our Feet or foot-bottom.

15. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    When I am wearing my sneakers or shoes during the warmer months, I actually love to go sockless. It just feels more comfortable and I love to just slide my sneakers on and just go. When I am at home I tend to wear socks and just walk around with socks on. I know, it's completely backwards.

16. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't care for anything on my feet and always go barefoot whenever I can. In the winter, I prefer to wear a pair of socks instead of slippers to keep my feet warm.

17. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wear socks, unless I've got certain shoes on. On the whole though, I find wearing shoes without socks feels most unpleasant. I would prefer to walk around at home with nothing on my feet at all but it's just too cold for that right now, so I always wear indoor slippers.

18. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I always wear socks during winter to keep my feet warm. I even wear one when sleeping. However, during summer, I don't wear them. I never go barefoot, I always have a comfortable bedroom slippers when I am in the house.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean the best way for my feet at home, then I'd have to go for sleepers. Neither walking barefoot nor wearing socks helps. I'm very used to wearing "home-based" slippers since I was a kid so it's too late to start walking barefoot or sport socks. I feel more secure wearing slippers, otherwise I might accidentally step on sharp objects and hurt my feet in the process.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to have the weirdest little feet ever! They're size 3's and generate a huge amount of heat. I've never known anyone's feet to get so warm. It doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold, my feet overheat. Because of this, I stay clear of socks. If I do have to wear them, they have to be very light cotton ones.
    I know tiles are cool to walk on, but I don't like walking around barefoot as your feet end up extremely dirty. So indoors I usually wear my Crocs or flip-flops.