Bargain Bin Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Mar 6, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Back when it was a bit more difficult to download or stream movies online, we usually bought a lot of DVDs and I particularly enjoyed rummaging through the bargain bins because not only could you get multiple movies for the price of one brand new movie DVD but also you get to discover a lot of obscure titles that you otherwise might have never heard of. The only downside is that there aren't always good movies there but for the cost it's way less risky to just buy a few titles even if some of them turn out bad.

Do you still find any bargain bin DVDs in your area? Do you have any particular movies you discovered by buying from there?

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really discovered, but I got Wayne's World in a bargain bin once. Have a bunch of movies I've never seen that I got in those cheap $1-2 edition DVDs sold at news stands, tho.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy classic movies from the Dollar Tree. If a DVD has 10 classic movies on it and it's only $1 then you figure you are paying only ten cents a movie. What a deal!

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly buy them from the bargain bin, odds are the movies aren't that good. Sure there's a few obscure gems but often the lack of production funding makes them pretty awful in terms of scripting, editing, effects etc.

I'd much rather stream specific movies on Netflix instead.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the bargain bin to find cheap gifts for people, and I'll grab something if I find a gem of a movie. It's easier to download or purchase digital copies of movies today, of course. Still, the bargain bins at Walmart and other stores can still help you find some great movies, including classics and even some newer movies.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have a DVD collection so I mostly buy DVD copies of my favorite movies instead of downloading them or streaming them online. I don't have much patience with watching movies and television series using my laptop computer because my laptop is merely for working purposes only. I know that the internet offers a wide range of free movies now, but I'm still a bit old-fashioned who enjoys a real DVD marathon with good friends. ;)

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Thrift Stores still have bargain video bins for a very affordable price, but I don't buy them any more as I ran out of storage space for what we already have in our house. I prefer to watch it, and be done with it instead of keeping them around!

8. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Rad! That is really cool...

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lots of DVDs and boxed sets that I've purchased at local pawn shops. They have blu-ray disks too, of course, and those are a little more expensive, but still good deals. They have a huge selection, and they're pretty careful when they buy them to make sure they're in decent shape, so I've never had a problem with one skipping or not playing.

I had one shop I used to be near a lot, and they would keep an eye out for the boxed sets I was interested in, and let me know when they got them in the store, so I could go buy them.