Bargaining Skill!! Can Save Lots Of Money For You

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by naruto100 • May 18, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen many people do that. But everyone do it differently. Personally I am at beginning level but I have seen people here who do it very efficiently and it worked for them and they can save lots of money by that too.

I know that this kind of thing don't work at all area. But here in our countries there are still many areas and markets at almost every cities where we can bargain during shopping. And people are doing that. Some can able to decrease the cost less and some can do it by lot. Lol.

So do you bargain? And how well you are?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is my anecdote in Hongkong when we went to the flea market in the Mongkok area earlier this month of May 2017. My wife asked the price of a cute pouch made of cloth. The vendor said it is 3 for HK$100. Hmm, quite expensive, said my wife, so we walked along. The vendor called her and said 5 for HK$100 and we walked again. To make the story short, the vendor hit rock bottom with her offer of 10 pieces for HK$100. Hmm, my wife had to agree because I was nudging her. It was really a good bargain such that I also bought 10 pieces as giveaway to my friends.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Wow, that's interesting. In your case you got the discount without trying for bargaining!! (or you did?). I am sure many people were buying 3 for HK$100 too. Right? That's how it goes if we don't go for bargaining.

Even I have one incident to share. I was spending my holidays at Manali hill station here. Few people were selling products on road by taking them to the visitor. Among them one was selling Goggles(sepcs). He came to me and asked me if I want it. Even I wasn't interested I asked for price. He told me around 25$. Lol, I was sure that it was fake price as no one going to buy such costly one from road side. As I wasn't interested I told him the price around 3$ by thinking that he will go away instantly. Surprisingly in the end he was ready to sell it 3.5$ and I have purchased it. Lol

#3May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to flea markets in general, but whenever I buy pirated CD's I always ask for a discount, and I usually get it. The discount is just small at around 25 to 50 cents, but at least I was able to make the vendors lower their prices.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania Well, even if we count those small amounts every time we go it is worthy at last. You can get more discount on other items if you go there to buy something else.

Yes bargaining not works at every place, but many places it can be worked. They are already selling item at high price, so if we are not going to ask for discount then we will end up paying high price for any item.

#5May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100, Yes that's true, but they usually are willing to give discount if you buy many items only. I don't ask for a discount anymore if I will only buy 1 CD, since I think it's a bit embarrassing to ask for a discount if I only bought 1 item.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have poor to moderate bargaining skills. That's what I hate about going to flea markets. The vendors price their goods at very high prices because they're expecting buyers to bargain real hard. I just really feel bad when a vendor quotes a price that's double or triple the price of the same item in a mall. When it's that high, I don't even bother to negotiate, I just walk away. I only buy from flea market or street vendors when I know that their prices are fair.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Surely those vendors are ripping us off. From $25 down to $3, that's absurd and truly outrageous. When we first went to Hongkong in 1994, the tour guide named Polly advised us to haggle when buying from the street vendors because their tag price are always exaggerated. The recommendation was to ask for a 50% discount and that will start the haggling. For a tag price of 100, you haggle for 50 then the vendor's counter offer would be 80. But instead of going up at 60,

#8May 22, 2017
  9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Yes it was really shocking for me too. Just think that many people may have buy it for 10$ or may be more. So it is better to understand about market and do bargaining if require.

Even I know few markets (not at my city) where people start bargaining with 60 to 70% discounted price.

#9May 22, 2017
  10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I have been trying to improve this "technique" for many years and I confess that I have already got great discounts and I have already saved a lot of money with it. ;)

For those who still don't know how to do this, it's better to start practicing because it's worth very much. :cool:

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I am not very good at bargaining but I have been getting the hang of it since there are many flea markets here. I rarely go now as I have witnessed many scams around and I wouldn't want to fall into any. Bargaining is kind of difficult now as sellers won't give in as easily as before.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit He he.. Even I am trying the same since long. I am still not good in it, but yes I able to get lots of discount on many products using that. Yes people should start doing that as it can save lots of our money. I see many people avoid this thing, I wonder why.

@kamai@kamai As I said its all depend on way of talking. You are right that these days seller don't give discount that easily, but I know few people who can easily manage to do that with strict seller too. They are very smooth talker and make friends in no time.

#12May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not very good at bargaining but my mom, she is a expert. I feel sad for the people because that's their livelihood. So I would bargain only when it is necessary. :)

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs Well, you don't need to feel sad about them, as they surely not going to sell anything is lose to any people. In fact some of them are really selling in high price by knowing that people will bargain. So if you will not do that you are going to end up in paying high price for any product than its actual price.

#14May 24, 2017
  15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm terrible at bargaining and bantering for a better price. I even watch American Pickers where they bargain a lot, but I just can't do it. We have sold to Pickers locally, they give us a price and we look at each other and say okay. Got a retail brain I guess. I will go research prices all the time window shopping, e-surfing and ask for coupons to use when shopping. I sign up for ebates.com where I can get money for shopping if the site is listed with ebates.com. I just am not good at bartering at all. Where I sell my coins and stamps, the shop owner doesn't barter at all. He gives you a price for the things he is interested in you say yes or no, that's it.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Just keep trying , you can be better for sure.

Even I was worse in this stuff, even now I don't think I am that good. But still I am doing good in compare to past. I used to learn the same from other people who is doing this very efficiently. You can too see others and learn the same from them.

#16May 25, 2017
  17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In my country bargaining is a common thing and most of our women are expert at that (including my wife). But you will be surprised to note that it's not the bargainer but the seller is at the advantage due to practice of bargaining. There are certain markets in all of our cities where bargaining is way of shopping and in most cases women pay at least 20-30% extra because the shopkeepers begin at 3 times the original price and still earn a good profit despite all the bargaining. They both (Shoppers and shopkeepers) are happy in the end. Shopkeepers admit it openly that they increase the price when dealing with female customers.

18. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Bargaining can save you a lot of money. However, you cannot bargain every where. For example, in shopping mall, supermarket and department store, the price is fixed and you cannot bargain. Your bargaining skills do not work where the price is fixed. You can of course bargain in street market and farmer's market.

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Yes even I think the same. No one is going to have a lose during the business. So yes those shop keepers are smart enough to increase the price. That's why bargaining skill is really important. Because if customer will not bargain then he or she will ended up in paying really high price for any product which price is actually quite low. So that skill important. Though I am not good, but I am learning everytime.

#19May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I never bargain or avoid shops where bargaining is the way of shopping. I prefer shops with fixed price so that saves me a lot of time besides I know I am paying the right price. At most I ask for a discount in certain shops and if that's available I get it too. I am absolutely against bargaining so never go for shopping with my wife.