Bargains for the garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ChanellG • Jun 1, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever visited the clearance section at the gardening center? After I told my mom she needed more flowers in order to attract pollinators to her garden, she went to Lowe's recently and discovered the clearance section. She got all these plants for fifty cents and a dollar (big, 7 inch pots!) and now she is hooked. This past week we went together and I got a bunch of stuff for my own garden. Quite a few plants needed to be divided so I ended up with two or three of the same plant that had cost less than $2! Some were even fifty cents (including two strawberry plants). I've spent the last few mornings repotting ;-)

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I envy your purchase. I wish I could get plants on discount too. Here the plants only get more expensive as they grow. Have fun and enjoy your plants.

3. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    I totally agree with Maddie...

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have been able to get some really good plants on clearance before but it is usually later in the season and they have not all survived. Most of them did pretty well but a few of them were just too far gone when I got them and didn't make it. It is worth the savings to at least give clearance plants a try. It can also depend on where you get them. I have had pretty good luck with some places (like Lowes) but not at others.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say, when my mother first told me about these clearance plants I was skeptical thinking they might not be all that healthy. So far everything I've planted seems to be thriving and I am quite pleased. I am trying not to stare at the grape vine constantly waiting for leaves to appear, lol, (think it will be at least another week), but if I can manage to not only bring it out of dormancy, but get it to flourish I will be very pleased with myself.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    No but I do get a lot of my gardening stuff from my local Poundland (Dollar store) here in the UK, in fact only this morning I put up six small pieces of trellising to create my own little veggie patch, only cost £1 per fence and I got a load of different types of veggies for £1. :).

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now the Walmart garden center and the Home Depot garden center near me both have a lot of plants on clearance. But the lease on my hated apartment that I'm always bitching about ends in 2 months, so I want to move out instead of renewing the lease and that means no buying stuff. There will always be another clearance sale on plants, they do it every year, so I'll just have to be patient.

8. kad613

kad613New Member

Threads:
    I have yet to see a clearance on plants in my area. I keep waiting but people are obviously still buying and planting. It's only been a couple of weekends with weather nice enough to plant so garden centers are still booming. I'll keep checking in the meantime. I put in a new flower bed and spent a bit too much on it so I'll just keep watching for sales to fill my left over two pots.

9. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Oh that is a great deal!! I didn't know about the clearance section at the gardening center at Lowe's until now. Thanks for the post, I will be going to Lowe's today for sure because I need more plants and I love those prices. Is this all the time or just certain days? I wish I would of known about this sooner, again thanks Chanellg;)

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    @Dorothymoreno, you're welcome! I don't know if it is all the time or not, but I suspect that it's a seasonal thing. The plants can only be held onto for so long before they need repotting or start to deteriorate.

@Kad613, you should ask at your local garden center what they do with the seasonal plants that don't sell. If planting season just started where you are it may take some time for the plants to be discounted, but you never know.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have a Super Walmart with a garden center, you should look there too. My local Walmart has all the spring plants on clearance because it's summer. I saw some tomato plants that still had tomatoes on them. I'm not shopping for new plants right now, but they had some interesting stuff.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't shopped at the Walmart garden center in so long that I forgot it existed. I'm trying to resist the urge to go to any of the garden centers to see what they have. It's still so hot I'm not sure if anything will survive. I do have a couple of new edibles and they are all in the shade until they take to their new pots.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have often found discounted plants that I have been able to purchase that have grown into healthy plants, some I have even divided them making my plant count increase at a very affordable price. Safeway also has discounted plants at a good price. The plants often look hopeless and some you will lose but it is a good gamble to talke.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am still finding little delights on the clearance rack in back of the Lowes store near me. It's really hard to resist buying these plants, but I've gradually expanded the gardens with so many nice items. Of course, with all the new plants I always need new pots and soil as they are all rootbound when I get them home.