Bbq Season: Cheap Heats?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Apr 27, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Anyone have any suggestion as to cheap but equally delicious things to toss on the grill in the summer/spring time? I know if it's seasonal it's cheaper but I wanted more than just tossing things onto the grill & hoping a char adds to the taste. Recipes appreciated.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    On Youtube there is a channel called "BBQPitBoys" which make all sorts of outdoor BBQ recipes. Not all of them are necessarily cheap, but some of them are. At the very least, they could give you some ideas which you could later adapt into cheaper recipes for yourself. One that came to mind that I saw on there recently, were some pork "roll ups" they made by pounding boneless skinless pork chops (which are among the cheaper meats you'll find at your grocer) real flat, then adding a filling of your choice, and rolling them up. Then they wrapped the rollups in bacon, and secured with toothpicks and grilled them.

Smoked sausages are usually pretty cheap - especially at places like Save-A-Lot where they're only about $2.50 a pack. Those, grilled, then paired with some Saurkraut (a bag of that is only about $2), and some peeled and chopped potatoes would be pretty filling. In fact you could grill the sausages first, then put them in a roasting pan with the kraut and potatoes and let them slow roast on the grill covered off of direct heat.

Ground turkey is also inexpensive, and it's easy to moisten them up with some minced onion, and fresh herbs so they don't dry out on the grill when making turkey burgers. I also brush them generously with vegetable oil.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Was considering making my own sausage this summer. I love the idea of customizing my meats. Had my heart set on a pork & gator style sausage with crab apples & a spice mix I've made that would work perfectly. However, just not the cheapest thing to BBQ...I guess I can opt for ground chicken.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've made pork roll ups, minus the bacon (but the bacon sounds good). They are cheap but tasty, and you can fill them with whatever you like.

I also like to make kebabs. First, just because I like them. Secondly, they are a great way to use up odds and ends without the meal appearing to be odds and ends.

There are usually some sales on bulk packages of sausages this time of year, so I try to take advantage of those as well.

Probably the cheapest thing I've seen is chicken leg quarters when they're on sale. I often see a ten pound bag for less than five bucks. I would cut them apart, but you could serve them as is too.