Be Aware When Utility Suppliers Call You...

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by MrsJones • Mar 2, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    With the deregulation of electric and gas many suppliers are making calls to get your business. Just recently I received a call from one and even though I was already with my desired supplier this company was offering a good deal. What I didn't know was to what extent they would go to aside from the perks mentioned. I asked and was told that my current supplier would not change. Well they lied. I received a letter stating differently and I called and cancelled immediately. I then received a call from my current supplier who wanted to verify the information of the change and I told him that I cancelled it.

If I had not cancelled it I would have been charged a $200 termination fee from my current supplier. No perk is worth it. I wanted people to know if you are satisfied with your current utility provider to be aware of the terms or conditions before signing up with a new supplier.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's awful! It's amazing what lengths these unscrupulous people will go to, sometimes. I'm glad that you had the foresight to question everything those guys told you. All too often, people just fall for things they're told by sales agents who don't always have your best interests at heart. I'm also glad that you din't lose any money in the process.

No matter how attractive an offer, when i did used to tolerate them, I would always ask them to give me a few days. Meantime, I'd look at it in depth, look for reviews and mull it over. To be honest, I'm also not a big fan of these doorstep sales agents, and I know they're only doing their job, but nowadays I give them a good talking to and send them packing. Rarely will I buy anything they try to sell me.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is yet another reason why I refuse to answer the phone. I don't speak to companies unless I initiate contact. This was happening a while back with long distance companies, as well as cell phone companies. They use underhanded tactics to switch you from your current service, and there are usually all sorts of contingencies for the discounts and perks they offer. I'm glad you were able to catch this in time, and didn't have to pay the termination fee with your current user. You might want to consider reporting them to the district attorney or attorney general. Each office usually has a consumer protection section to manage cases like this situation.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thankfully our utility suppliers are highly regulated by the government. This is to ensure that they don't abuse their authority just because they have monopoly over the market (yes, there is only one supplier per service per city or town where I'm from). This lack of competition gives people no choice but to subscribe to a single supplier for years, from generation to generation. Knowing the policy becomes second nature to us residents because we've been subscribing for years/decades.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, there is one water and one electricity supplier.Their services are not as would be desired. However, the electricity service has been gradually improving. The water service is very poor and most people are frustrated with the response from that utility company. I wish there was competition, especially for the water provider.It seems that because they are a monopoly they are inclined to make a meaningful effort to improve the service.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This is a common situation. Most people rush to snap deals from utility suppliers without reading between the lines. Thex don't pay attention to the wording and the fine print. Some agreement policies contain a clause that states that there is a severance fee. Others state that the utility providers can change terms and conditions at their own discretion at any moment or are not binding on their part. Still others have hidden charges written in tiny letters which most people ignore.