Be Careful When Buying Value Deal Movies in Dollar General.

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Scottf13 • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    The dollar store chain Dollar General receives a lot of my 'convenience store' business. They are less expensive that an actual convenience store, and offer a good variety. However, I have purchased many DVDs and Blu-ray discs from them in the last two years or so and out of every eight or nine that I purchase at least one will be badly scratched despite not being loose in the box. This is probably due to the fact that they sell movies purchased in bulk from liquidation sales, and the discs have been shipped all over the place multiple times. There are some great deals on new movies, but they may be scratched. Always keep your receipt for these kinds of purchases from this store chain.

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up. I rarely go into those stores, only because they are a ways away from my house. I have bought movies in the past from a store like that and never had a problem, however I have probably only bought 1 or 2 maybe. I think you are right that they have probably been shipped over and over to various stores over time before they are finally purchased.

3. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I don't really blame the stores themselves. The sad fact is that when you buy a movie title that has been shipped all over the place there is a chance that something will be wrong with it. Every time it gets to a major store like Walmart it will be tossed out of a truck, onto a rolling platform to be put on a flat, that is dragged all over the store. It gets picked over, put back, and shuffled all over the place. The ones that don't sell are then shipped off again, loaded and unloaded, moved around and so forth. They are then liquidated by being sold in bulk. This is when either a distributor collects them and resells them to another company, or the company buys them directly. Either way, more rattling round in a truck and careless loading and unloading happens. By the time they reach the dollar store they've been rattling around on trucks many, many times.

They have great deals, and most of what you'll buy will be perfectly fine. There just will be a few that aren't because of the numbers game.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    That is because people throw them around in the bins It is not the manufacturers or the stores fault. i would suggest you sign up for Redbox. all the dvd's you want for $7.99 a month.

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you on this .. Speaking for experience I have notice the ones that I have purchase being scratched up when first opened up. I have taken many back. but as you have mentioned about you cant beat the price of the movies cause not all of them are bad. It to where now the local dollar tree stores sell DVD now. So just be careful when your shopping for bargain.

6. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    Redbox is definitely a good idea. I used to do the Netflix thing but they changed a bit and then started charging more. I did not know that Redbox had a monthly plan. The last time i used them it was a dollar a day per disc.

As far as the scratched games and movies go.. I wish shoppers treated things better when they look them over. The whole, "It's not mine so I don't care thing is in full effect."

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have never actually bought movies from the Dollar store. Any of them to be exact. It seems every time I am tempted too, I'll pick one up and it'll be loose. Or I'll pick it up and the wrapping is damaged or removed. It really turns me off and makes me worry if it'll work or not. I usually just buy it from Walmart if I'm that desperate or order it off of Amazon for $3-$5 and free shipping. I can wait. But thanks for the warning, though I think Scottf13 had a good point.

8. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    That's because they handle them without care. Why do you think things end up at the Dollar General? I'm not surprised and I wouldn't buy DVD's there ever. With services like Netflix I just don't see the point in something like that ever.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had similar experiences in the past, so I stopped buying DVDs from dollar stores in general. I'd rather not run the risk of buying something that's broken long before I ever touched it. I like buying physical copies of movies from time to time. Otherwise, I use Netflix and Redbox for all the other movies I want to watch. Sometimes you can get a great deal at the dollar stores, but sometimes you'll wind up with a defective product.