Be Careful When Using Paypal Debit Card

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Ke Gordon • Oct 17, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must start out by saying I totally love my Paypal debit card, and would never want to be without it, however, I am fortunate that I have more than Paypal account, as someone hacked my Paypal debit card. It was for a small purchase. I am thinking it may have been a skimming device. It is hard to know how they got the numbers anyway, I was able to transfer the money into another Paypal account, since Paypal closed down the card that was hacked. I have to wait for a new one. So, try to use the card in locations you trust...otherwise their may be a problem.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    This can happen with just about any debit card you own and skimming devices are easily attached to payment devices. The criminals out there are getting smarter and sometimes law enforcement can't keep up. The only plus side to having a debit card with your bank as opposed to PayPal is that your bank is local and can help you out much quicker. PayPal is a tad slower to react and it will take you at least a week to get your new debit card. When I have needed to get a new bank debit card in the past, I was able to walk into my local branch and they were able to print me out a new card on the spot.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are lucky with that rosyrain. I had a problem with my bank card which was part of that Target scandal last year or the year before last. I had to wait forever, to get my bank card. I think my Paypal debit card will come sooner than my bank card did! It sounds like your bank may have been using a 3D printer.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Actually my bank has a regular card printer I guess because the card number is printed or unprinted on the card and not 3D stamped like most cards are, it is strange, but it is a card nonetheless and I am happy that they provide that service. I am sorry to hear you were part of that scandal, I was lucky enough not to have shopped at Target during that time frame.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I've been using PayPal for a few years now, I've opted out of the Debit Card. Withdrawing money from it is more costly than just transferring money from my PayPal account to my bank account. I had such a bad experience with Payoneer's debit card (lost $50 dollars after withdrawing money) so I don't ever want to go through that again. I trust PayPal to a great extent but only as far as online bank transfers are concerned.

6. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hate that people have to go through things like this, I really can't stand hackers. This makes me kind of scared because I use my PayPal debit card EVERYWHERE. I try not to use it at gas stations, though, because, I don't know, in my mind, that's where hackers convene to steal people's credit card information. LOL. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's just what I do. :p

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Hey thanks for the tip. Like most of you, I have a paypal debit card. So far so good. No problems at all. Though I get some bogus e-mail that say they're paypal, but they are not paypal, so I report them to the spoof paypal email. So far that's all the negative things about paypal. I have my cards in a leather wallet and that seems to be a good protection for cards from electronic pickpocketing. (correct me if I'm wrong about it.)

8. Corald

CoraldMember

Threads:
    As another poster suggested, this may be a problem with cards in general. Anyway I am glad that you didn't sustain a great loss and were able to have the card locked down before the damage got extensive. Cheaters are always looking for ways to scam people out of their hard earn money.:mad:

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think it is just PayPal that you can fall victim to identity theft with, but many cards now. It is not just limited to cards either because I just got a notice from my cell phone company that our information had been hacked. I say just to avoid a paper trail presence where ever you can and just be ready to deal with the fall outs when they happen.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It shouldn't just be a Paypal debit card one should be careful with when using. When using any debit card one should be very careful because reversing transactions [especially if someone uses your debit card to buy something from a brick and mortar store] might be impossible and you'd lose a lot of money. What should one do to avoid that?

This could help: