Be Careful While Handing Over Your Credit/debit Card To Somebody.

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by luckycharm • Nov 21, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    A few months back I was looking for a hotel accommodation and finally ended up in a moderate one. I handed over my card to the person who was sitting at the reception. But then he said the swiping machine was inside and he had to take may card there. I felt something not right and insisted ongoing with him. They also placed a copying machine alongside. I wonder why they kept the swiping machine inside while it has to be used in front of the customer.

They can easily take a copy of our card and use it later. If they know the card number, CVV and expiry date they can easily use it in our absence from anywhere in the world. Then onwards I always keep the CVV covered with a thin black colored plastic on it.

Do you have any bad experience with your card transaction like this?

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Why would I hand my debit or credit card to other people. I let my card swipe when I make purchase, however, when the work is done (payment made), I immediately ask for my card and keep it safe. I never let my card to anyone, except my wife off course. There is risk associated with giving your card to other people.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is true. People are tricky and always looking for ways to spend other people's earning.

You just can't be careful enough. It is better to handle all transactions by yourself.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Credit card scam was prevalent here a few years ago. But with the help of the media, people have learned how to use their credit card safely. For me, I only use my credit card when I pay a reputable company otherwise I am forced to pay in cash. I don't want to compromise the safety of my card because those scammers are quick in their modus operandi. Once they are able to clone the credit card, they will immediately use the credit card for big purchases.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    What you did is right. It is good that you are aware of that kind of modus operandi by the hotel personnel. It is generally required that a swiping machine should be at the hotel's reception or paying counter which could be clearly seen by the client/occupant.

I thought it is only practice in bar, resto and other private hangouts. This kind of anomalous job is done by a group or syndicate to victimize innocent person or a drunk individual who is unaware or unconscious of himself.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would do the same as you. It is strange that the swiping machine was placed inside when they are usually at the register. I would be suspecious too since I have also read of some peoples money getting stolen using a similar kind of method. Always have your card swiped right in front of you and ask for it back immediately.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a timely post, with the holidays coming. People tend to be in a festive mood and often pay less attention to what's going on, especially if they're relaxing and enjoying time with loved ones. I don't go out to eat much or use my cards other than at stores where they will be scanned in front of me, but there are also scams where skimmers are placed by ATMs, gas pumps and other locations. The skimmers collect the information on your cards, and the person placing the skimmer often also places a camera nearby, to collect your pin. Here's a link to an

about skimmers and how to spot them.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My visa and mastercard credit cards now have an embedded chip which is said to offer added protection to card holders. While this somehow gives a measure of assurance to card holders, we should never be lax in our card usage. Scammers can always catch up with technology. I only use my card on reputable stores and even then, I would always limit their use. Store staff with inadequate training can pose problems like double billing for the same invoice. You can always call the bank to reverse the double billing later but that's a hassle that should not have happened.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very important to know this and good for you telling the cashier at the hotel that you'd like to follow them to see about swiping your card. It's strange that a hotel would do that to you. Like at most stores hotels let you swipe your card since the machines came out. Before they had the sliding machine which was loud done in front of you and you'd get your card back right away. But it is done in front of you paying and you get a paper receipt right away. You did the right thing to want to follow the cashier/clerk to see how they'd swipe your credit card.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have read many cases that some people might just take our card, copy the information and use it without us knowing it. It can be very risky to hand over our card to others. Sometimes when we dine in the restaurant, we will just hand over the credit card to the waitress or waiter, and she/he will return after swiping our card. I truly hope it's fine. I guess we also have to always check our credit card bills.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is a situation that I am wary of. I very skeptical when it comes to using my card, therefore, I always try to observe the process as much as I can see if I may pick up anything unusual. When I am doing online transactions I try to use PayPal as much as possible to avoid being defrauded.