Be weary of web host costs

Discussion in Misc & Others started by lindbergh • May 31, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a web host service package from a certain provider two years ago. I was eager to grab a two year package because the deal was hard to let go - free domain for 1 year, shared hosting with unlimited data for only $2.95 per month. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, what's wrong is that I didn't notice the policy that after the two years is up, I'll be praying 11 bucks per month foot their services! Arrrggh! Be careful people, web host packages are only cheap in the first two years.

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Great advice. These sort of packages are very easy to forget about and then you all of a sudden get hit with a bill you didn't expect. I had this happen to me once with a Sacramento Bee subscription. They had a reduced price for 6 months, so I signed up for the offer. After the 6 months was up, I got an unexpected bill for their full price, which apparently had gone up since I signed up.

Just being weary of all online subscriptions and what you're paying is a good strategy to have so you don't get hit with that unexpected bill.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your webhost wants to rip you off, why not just switch hosts? Of course executing that may not be as simple as it sounds but if you choose a web host whose charges and pricing is transparent, you won't need to worry about being charged extra costs unless you want to upgrade your hosting plan.

By the way, which web host were using lindbergh? It would be helpful to know who they are so others can avoid them.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen such web hosting sites. They will make you think that they are offering you a big favor but behind the curtains you are paying for their bills and they are also stealing your traffic for their own ads. I try to stick to the trusted web hosting companies even if they are expensive.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no experience in managing and putting up websites, but are you obliged to stay subscribed to their services after 2 years or you can also just opt out of their services after 2 years? Because if that's the case, then you can easily opt out of your plan then.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet products and subscriptions almost all work that way. They tell you it, it's just that probably you are not paying attention or you might have forgotten it. So next time be always attentive, because if not then you might just be paying for something you have no use for oblivious about it. So the money is put to waste. This is also the reason why I don't like subscribing on the internet. I don't like thinking on something that I should not forget.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    That situation is also true with domains. Note, you can get .xyz for 99 cents, but possibly the renewal will be for 15 dollars or something. Anyway, I don't really see the promotion as a real price, but simply a relief in the short-term. Note, in the long-term, I know there is no free lunch. It's just a fact. However, I want to make sure, though, that whatever bought is quality.