Beauty Tips for Healthy Hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by sharjeel • Jun 14, 2013.

1. sharjeel

sharjeelBanned

Threads:
    Your hair can add to (or detract from) your overall look instantly. Keeping it in healthy condition is the most important thing you can do to help it look and feel fabulous.

And, while it seems easy, this isn't as simple as minimizing chemical treatments or slathering on a weekly deep conditioner. While these can make your strands softer and less split-end-prone, what really matters is the daily handling; this is what creates the most stress -- and potential damage -- to your tresses.
    Steer clear of plastic-bristle brushes. "The proper bristles are key," says stylist Edward Tricomi of the Warren-Tricomi Salon in New York City. "Natural boar bristle hair brushes (either a round or flat brush) are best for dry hair, while soft, rubber-toothed wide-paneled brushes are best for damp hair.
    Know your water. If your hair looks dull or is hard to style, the problem could be your tap water. According to Minneapolis-based Gordon Nelson, international creative director for Regis Salons, well water contains natural minerals (called "hard water") that can leave hair lusterless and hard to manage and can impart a brassy, orange hue.
    Soft water, on the other hand, has fewer damaging minerals. (Ask your local water department if your water is soft or hard, or try using Robert Craig's No More Bad Hair Days Kit with strips to test your water.) To rid hair of mineral buildup, suds up every week with a clarifying shampoo.
    Mist your ends with water before home coloring. The ends of your hair are more porous and, as a result, absorb more pigment. "Wet hair doesn't absorb color as readily as dry hair,
    Use color-protective products. Chemical treatments like color can damage hair because the chemicals have to penetrate the outer layer of the hair (or cuticle) to allow the hue to be absorbed, explains stylist Rodolfo Valentin of Rodolfo Valentin Atelier for Hair in New York.
    ust use your dryer's nozzle, urges stylist Frank Galasso of Frank.Studio in Santa Monica, Calif. It's the best way to help prevent frizz because it concentrates the airflow on sections. "Without a nozzle the dryer's grill gets very hot; if your hair gets too close to it, it will cause damage and/or breakage,
    Use the right accessories. Kim Vo, a stylist at West Hollywood's B2V Salon, suggests putting hair in soft braids or twists and using claw clips rather than barrettes, which can pull hair

#1Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love a hot oil massage , this has helped my hair remain strong, long and radiant. I believe reducing the chemicals and treating yourself to natural stuff makes a huge difference.
    Too much heat and styling products are what cause damage to the hair follicles. I keep away from the blow drier and give my hair a good cold water rinse at the end of each wash. This has helped me over these years.

3. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing some of the secrets to healthy hair, lord knows I need all the tips I can get. My hair is damaged from coloring and it is very frizzy and dry and I just get so frustrated with my hair sometimes, but I will be using some of the tips you have mentioned above. Thanks again for sharing!

4. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    I have used coconut oil at the recommendation of some friends and it works wonders for keeping your hair silky smooth and definitely gets rid of the frizzy hair. I don't quite like the smell of it so I use it only when I know I am going to be home all day.

5. Ridhithomas

RidhithomasBanned

Threads:
    I apply olive oil before washing my hair.

6. garenlevon

garenlevonNew Member

Threads:
    Great Tips you have shared I like all these tips.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    There is actually one too I use on my hair and its honestly done wonders. I mix egg with olive oil and I apply it to my hair during when I am in the shower. This is a mixture I like to keep on my hair for at least 15 minutes before I wash it off. After I wash it off I use conditioner and a little bit of shampoo and this makes my air very very shiny and smooth.
    The results are just remarkable.

8. emmashopping

emmashoppingMember

Threads:
    For healthy hair. you should use olive oil and coconutu oil. You can also use good conditioner for shinny hairs.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The main key to healthy hair is to know your hair. Random advice on how to care for it won't do any good unless you know your hair's type and texture and what works best for it. Some hair needs more moisture; curly hair requires different styling tools, while short hair requires a different type of hair brush than long hair does. Wearing the hair up, especially in braids, lessens breakage... proper diet... there are so many things that contribute to healthy hair.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. For some people, oil can dry their hair out. Nothing is one size fits all, same with skin. And just a note, these are for *the appearance* of healthy hair. Healthy hair comes from within.. from how we eat and take care of our bodies.

11. marcfreund636

marcfreund636New Member

Threads:
    Always use a brush with normal boar bristles , not yo put hair ponytail when it it still wet , shampoo and conditioner are important for long hair so choose it very carefully , Don't comb after wash it...

12. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Usage of herbal shampoo will highly reduce hair loss and will make your hair look silky and soft.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good thing that we have soft water in our area, so our hair doesn't get damaged that much. I know that blow drying your hair quite often can cause damage to your hair, so it's best to just do it less frequently.

14. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    There are great supplements to take for healthy hair and nails! I like biotin and folic acid. Biotin promotes healthy hair and helps brittle nails. Protein is great for hair too! My friend eats a can of tuna a day and her hair is amazing.

15. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    Eat your fruits, nuts, and vegetables and drink lots of water! The nutrients will make your hair shiny and healthy, which will also promote growth.
    - Don't straighten your hair or curl it with an iron! This will only break and damage your hair and prevent it from growing.
    - Try not to blow dry your hair if possible. Let it air dry when you can.
    - If you absolutely can't live without your heat products (flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers, etc.) make sure to ALWAYS use heat protection before you use them.
    - While in the shower, don't use shampoo every day. Use it every other day to every 3 days. Use conditioner EVERYDAY or EVERY TIME you wash your hair.
    - Another shower trick! When you put conditioner in, squeeze out your hair first. Then rub it throughout your hair. This will make it easier for your hair to soak up the moisture and vitamins in the conditioner.
    - Another shower trick!!! Wash / condition your hair FIRST before you wash your body. Keep the conditioner in and clip it up for the rest of the time you are in the shower, and rinse when you are about to get out.
    - Wash / rinse your hair with COLD or cool water. Hot water (and just heat in general) is BAD for your hair.

16. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    The best beauty tip that I've learned is the less you do, the healthier your hair will be. Shampoo should be twice a week and should be followed up with Apple Cider Vinegar (APV) to replenish oils you loose after shampooing. "Dust" your ends, not clip (unless you are wanting shorter hair). Dusting gets rid of the damaged ends while also maintaining growth. If you clip your ends too much and too often, the growing process will stay delayed. DRINK WATER everyday! Need I say more?

17. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Leave-in conditioners are my go-to products for beautiful hair. Since my tresses tend to be dry, they along with regular washing and deep conditioning, are the only things that keep them in shape. I used to purchase products by ABBA, but because of their high cost and my desire to live frugally, I switched to Suave.

18. jessicak2

jessicak2Banned

Threads:
    It's too good thanks for sharing with us. I appreciate your post.

19. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I agree saying our hair reflects our entire look and it is a must to protect and keep our hair healthy. I just wanted to say a small tip which really gives out truly remarkable results. Egg is the ever helpful product for our hair. It moisturizes and conditions our hair the best way than anything else. If you guys feel like using egg yellow on hair gives out smelly results then you can neutralize that smell by mixing curd in it. Trust me curd is also a natural conditioner. This combination when left on hair for a minimum of 20 mins leaves your a healthy look. If you have any problem of dandruff, then you can surely get rid of it this way. Using egg white alone too serves this purpose of making your skin shiny and healthy.

20. andymark25415

andymark25415Banned

Threads:
    nice post shared