Being Given Incorrect Change?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Feb 17, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    More often than not I will check the change that is given to me. However, I believe that after getting home and realizing that one has been given incorrect change, if it is not a big amount then don't worry to go back to claim it. It is always best to check to ensure that you have been given the correct change before leaving the store. I cannot remember any occasions where I have been given incorrect change though.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This happened to me the other week, I was given excess change and I did not notice it until I got home. I also didn't bother to return it even if the store is near because the excess change was only a couple of cents.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha that's so true, guys! I mean, let's face it, how many of us would give back excess change? It hasn't happened to me, but if it did, I doubt I'd return it LOL Maybe I would if it were a whole lot of money because I've known some stores to dock it off the staff's wages if their money doesn't balance at the end of a shift. What I'd like to know is, what happens if those stores find they have way more than they should? Do they haul their staff over coals or give it to them? Eh, I doubt it. So I guess double standards are everywhere hehe

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    In Germany you have to let them know right away.
    Only in seldom cases if you are really lucky and the
    person from the store remembers you then they
    might hand it out to you.
    I am sure it has happened to me before but I am not a picky person and am okay with losing just a couple cents.

5. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Cashiers usually count the change before giving it out and I watch them do it. So, I don't have to worry about this much. However, sometimes they make mistakes. For example, I was once given some extra cash. But instead of taking it I gave it back.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't count the change, unless there is an obvious mistake. It has happened though on occassion. I do usually tell the person..about the mistake but not always. It kind of depends on my mood of the day to be honest. Mistakes don't happen all that often though...with getting cash back. It is more likely to happen when you are being rung up. It frequently happens then.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @artyarson@artyarson, I noticed that they only count the change thoroughly when they have to hand a large amount. If the change is relatively small then they get careless in counting it.

8. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on a person that's serving you. But yep, when the change is not that big, they don't usually care much. Moreover, you don't usually care yourself. However, you'd better watch them carefully. If you do that then everything would be okay.

9. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    It's never really happened to me before. There were occasions when public transportation drivers would forget to give change or give too much change in confusion. It's really up to the passenger to speak up if the driver forgot or gave too much because the driver's attention needs to be on the road for everybody's safety. Once there was this girl who handed her payment and turned to texting. Her change had already been given but she kept insisting that she had not received anything until she was dropped off still insisting she didn't get anything.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @maxen57@maxen57, She must have been too preoccupied with texting to the point that she didn't notice that she already received her change and got to place it in her pocket. A passenger should have reassured her to look in her bag or pocket so that she could see her change so she will stop bugging the driver up until the time she got off.

11. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have been short-changed by clerks at least twice in the last few months. It is really annoying. Even when I catch it while I am still in the store, they act as though if I am bothering them by asking about money that is rightfully mine. I thin it has been the same few cashiers that it has happened with too. I feel like if these people consistently can't make change, they should probably find a different profession.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, if they make the same mistakes way too often then you ought to consider if they really suck at their job or they are just being deliberately dishonest so that they can keep the accumulated excess change for their own benefit.