Being Healthy Costs Extra?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by maxen57 • May 8, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some gyms offer only $1 per person entrance fee, and you can stay in there for as long as you like, so it's not that costly, although you still have to travel if you're not near one. But yeah, I agree that even dieting and being healthy costs more, because you still have to buy all these supplements and ingredients whereas if you just eat "normally" then you won't spend more money to buy those other items.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am aware that those foods do not lose nutritional value if frozen. But not everybody knows this information, hence in ther experience buying healthy food is more expensive because they buy it, it goes off much quicker than that of unhealthy food, and they end up having wasted their money through not being able to eat it all. Whereas the crappy foods are more accessible to them. It may not be a valid point in your minds, but to those who do not have that information, it is more than valid and will affect how they interact with food, and their thoughts about how to manage their money when purchasing foods. Not everyone has the access to information that we do. We have to remember that.

Healthy food is subjective because of bio-diversity. We are not going to agree on this matter. I am aware of multiple people who have chron's disease and other autoimmune problems and those foods that we would consider healthy, are actually the very foods that cause the inflammation in their body, and causes the pain that they go through. Many of the foods listed above that would be considered healthy do not work with my body. Again, there is that bio-diversity. There is no one boot fits all when it comes to diet and food, which is why what is healthy for one person is not necessarily healthy for another. This is why we have so many different diets out there, and such a debate about what is healthy and what is not. Yes, part of it has to do with science discovering new things all the time, but it is also about biodiversity. Buying the crappy foods is not going to help these people either, but it is cheaper where I live than that of healthy foods, and many people have no options but to buy the crappy foods due to their income. This is much of why poor people are more likely to be in poor health. Education also comes into it, and not having access to valuable food information. Then there are the deals on some of these unhealthy foods, vs the deals that come with healthy foods. You can get a lot more for your money, a lot of the time buying junk food - or so it would appear unless you have the knowledge that some of you guys do in this thread - than you would buying healthy foods.

In my experience, the healthy foods are a lot more expensive than the crappy foods. We have to agree to disagree.

#42Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely 100% agree with WHY most believe unhealthy is cheaper. I was one of those people until I got obsessed lol. 100% agree that there is a serious lacking in education and accessibility etc that's why I mentioned the food deserts. But the question was just about whether it was more expensive to eat healthy or not (some places that's true and especially at certain times or during certain circumstances). And although I 100% agree that people with specific issues can't eat every last food on the healthy menu, we do need to agree to disgaree that they can't eat healthfully and again, healthful isn't subjective, they just have to be more selective.. same with people on crap diets who have reactions to certain "foods". Imo, if every convenience food was wiped off the planet, we'd all be better than ever (obviously assuming all food was accessible to all people.. perfect world type stuff). Especially those with intestinal issues and I know many as well, I've been using them as study guides for years lol. But totally, to each their own and not everyone has the time for this.. not everyone even wants to bother with healthy and whatever whatever. It's jmo, for whatever that's worth :)

#43Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  4. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    The post is about healthy foods being more expensive, not about lack of knowledge. Not knowing what constitutes a healthy diet doesn't mean that healthy foods are expensive.

I work in a hospital, I am frontline staff and I deal with thousands of patients a year with various dietary requirements. For Chron's disease a healthy, balanced diet is recommended, obviously there may be trigger foods which should be avoided but the majority of the time those trigger foods are high fat and generally not considered healthy. There are cases where an individual has very specific dietary needs but on the whole it is highly unlikey that a person would not benefit from basing their diet on the foods we have previously mentioned. Can you give an example of the healthy foods that are more expensive that you are talking about because I'm getting genuinely confused now.

5. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Healthy foods definitely cost more then say fast food or quicker food options that aren't as healthy. I think its possible to eat healthy on a budget. Instead of buying pre-made healthy options making the food yourself helps save costs. Also, buying in bulk. Items such as Organic meats are always going to be pricer then non-organic but I think about the long term effects it will have on my body now. It may cost more now, but in later years poor health will cost a ton more.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    If you buy foods that are dense and whole foods then you're keeping your cost low. Shop sales, grow as much of your own food as you can. Growing your own will help cut down on cost with your grocery bill and if you have a plot of land to grow your garden then you get delicious fruits and veggies and great exercise as well.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's possible too. But say you have a specific condition, you are going to have to spend quite a bit of money to correct it with healthy foods. I am experiencing that now and it sucks. I wish real food was not so expensive.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Unhealthy habits cost more eventually. Nobody wants to be paying hefty medical expenses because of developing some crippling condition caused by awful life style. Thus I pay for what is needed to avoid healthcare as much as possible.

9. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Your food bills have gone up because you've chosen to buy more expensive foods. That, of course, is a personal choice you're free to make.
    The various types of food listed in the question details, however, are not intrinsically better than their alternatives. One doesn't need olive oil to eat healthily. Other vegetable oils are entirely safe and most are cheaper than olive oil.
    Nor is it particularly surprising that high quality food products -- such as fresh fish rather than tinned fish -- cost more. Mercedes cars cost more than Kias; gold is more valuable than tin.
    You've also put yourself into a demographic that is the particular target for marketers who can squeeze out extra profits by promoting "healthy" alternatives that simply aren't show to be factually healthier. Organic foods have zero evidence of being "better" than their alternatives; they are, however, more expensive.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry but for me being fit and healthy would cost nothing extra. One has to adjust his lifestyle, eating habits and spare sometime for workouts and that's about all for remaining fit provided one does it religiously. There should be no ifs and buts while following the routine or leaving anything to "Tomorrow" when it comes to follow your workout program and eating habit.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe in the saying that health is wealth. We all wish for a long life but we forget to mean that what we really want is a long healthy life. In that angle, we should give more value to health which would make us live a happy life. For healthy lifestyle, we need not be frugal especially in the food that we buy. Fresh food from the market is best but expensive. With exercise, it is a sacrifice we should take. And not to forget the general checkup.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It shouldn't cost more to be healthier if you knew that what our ancestors ate was more healthier than the junk that we eat. Those very same things are cheaper today than our fancied oatmeals and cornflakes.

Make healthy meals at home. They will be healthier as long as they are simple and traditional. When you start dressing them up thats whdn you start adding calories. Cut down on sweets, artificial drinks and rice.

Get more veggies and fruits in that should replace the need of supplements. Drink plenty of milk and water and do some simple exercises daily at home that needs no gym equipments. One week on this and you will see the change! There you are on your way to loosing weight and being healthy.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary, being healthy costs lesser. If one has to spend half his earnings on medical bills rather than saving or spending it on more useful items it is better to spend it on staying fit and having healthy eating habits even if it costs a little extra.

14. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, it does. Good, quality food is too expensive. But if you can afford it, it's worth it. There is nothing more important than health, so I guess there is no price high enough for that.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't you think what you spend extra on healthy food is in fact a saving on medical bills which you spend due to bad eating habits and unhealthy food?

16. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Like I said, there is no price high enough for that. Sure, a long term investment in health is a good thing, no question about that. You got me wrong. :) But healthy food is expensive, that's a fact.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I was also on the weight losing jouney some years ago and I found myself spending less money to tell you the truth. All you got to do is be active, you can go out to take walks which evently you can change into runs. I gained weight for over eating so I slowly cut my food portions in half which also meant half the spending. Instead of buying unhealthy snacks swith to vegetables instead and try to cook lite.

18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you can also try planting seeds for fruits and vegetables if they are too expensive around your area. Eating healthy doesn't cost too expensive. You just need to know what to make and learn how to make it taste good. You can make an entire meal out of bananas if you know how and bananas aren't too expensive. Same with apples, mangos, oranges etc. The common fruit.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I bet to disagree that to be healthy is expensive. To stay healthy is a matter of lifestyle. A simple lifestyle requires a simple way of life, a good and natural food. But when you try to cope with the present style of way of life which everything seems too costly to maintain. As far as health is concerned it is not too expensive. Losing weight takes a self-discipline and eating nutritious foods which could be raised in a backyard.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No Mate- I did not get you wrong, not at all but I don't think healthy food is costly otherwise also. If you calculate carefully and see the ingredients that these healthy foods contain therefore if you think that healthy variety costs you a certain amount extra than so called inferior variety. But if you see the benefit it will certainly compensate the extra cost.