Best Alternative Face Washes

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Adrianna • Jul 4, 2015.

1. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    I am always trying different things to wash my face with. I like products with some protein or aloe vera in them. Sometimes liquid hand soaps work really well and do not cost that much. You just have to make sure that they are gentle. Coconut oil cleanses the face well with a wash cloth. Mostly witch hazel is the best and least expensive toner to follow up with.
    1. liquid hand soaps (gentle)
    2. coconut oil
    3. ???????????????what else do you use?

I don't really understand the plain water thing to clean the face. How could that get dirt or makeup off the face? I guess if you use a wash cloth or something.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are on a real budget then a bar of Dove or Neutrogena is good and doesn't dry out the skin. They can last for quite a while too. It also depends on your skin type, but coconut oil isn't really a cleanser and it sounds expensive to use.

You can also use baby lotion as a cleanser and then wash that off, you only need a small amount and it moisturizes too. The cold water washing doesn't get rid of any oils or bacteria, it just rinses the face.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I use cleansing cloths. Someone found a sample of Dove cleansing cloths and gave them to me. Sadly, Dove doesn't manufacture them anymore. I found Olay cleansing cloths at Target, and I am trying them now. Unlike towelettes, you dip the cloth in water and lather it on your face and then rinse it.

4. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    I actually use only plain, warm water and a terry wash cloth when I wash my face unless I wore makeup that day. Then I use Aveeno Positively Radiant. It is very good at evening the skin tone!

Warm water and a scrubby towel work great for me because the heat loosens up my pores gently and the towel washes away dirt and scrubs off dead skin cells. My skin is very sensitive so the less I put on it, the better it looks! By only using water, I am able to wear less makeup.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend Cetaphil and Oilatum if you have dry or oily skin, since the label on Cetaphil says that it's for all skin types. With Cetaphil, you can also wash it off with tissue, no water needed, so it's convenient to carry it around when you're out of the house.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like Neutrogena and Dove. They are fairly inexpensive and easy on your skin. They rinse cleanly and have a nice fragrances. I really like the Neutrogena shampoo, it strips residue from you hair that other shampoos, gels and conditioners leave behind.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not exactly inexpensive, but the bottle is rather large so it should last a while - but someone in our house bought this stuff called Sebamed Face Wash. I believe it's available at drug stores and at Target for around $12 or so. It claims to be very carefully Ph balanced to be gentle on your skin and doesn't contain many chemicals that other face washes do, such as parabens and other stuff which is apparently not good for some reason.

I started using it for the heck of it, once my Neutrogena mens face wash ran out, and it does seem to work rather well. I don't get that "tight skin" feeling after washing when my face dries off and my skin starts to feel dried out. It also doesn't leave my face feeling raw or irritated either. It does have a rather unpleasant smell though that I can only think of describing as an "old person smell" - you know, when they are using so many creams and ointments and powders on themselves for whatever, that they collectively have a certain "smell" to them.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used plain Witch Hazel for a facial cleanser and toner. It's inexpensive and mild, but it works. In fact, I can smell it in other products, so I know it is used as one of the ingredients (if not the main ingredient) in such products. It's also great to have around to use for cleaning minor scrapes, bug bites, etc. as well. It's just good stuff, and it's certainly affordable enough. It's also gentle enough to use on your face, straight from the bottle (on a cotton ball, etc).

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I use plain water to wash my face as I don't really wear makeup anyway. If I do go out, I just put powder and lip tint on. That's it. But I understand why you would need some cleanser when you do wear full makeup. My sister uses an organic soap from V&M. She swears by it and I can see her skin is a lot nicer now. Try organic soaps, maybe it will be better for you!

10. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I agree with Sidney. I also recommend the use of Cetaphil as a facial wash. It is a mild cleanser that is easy to use. I like Cetaphil because it feels light and rinses off easily. I don't think it is advisable to use hand soap for the face. It might contain chemicals that are too harsh for your skin.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @watsadamen@watsadamen, I have been using hand soap or body soap on my face for the longest time, and I don't see or feel any adverse effects to my facial skin. I think only people who have really sensitive skin will have an issue using hand soap.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love a brand named Kiehl's for everything face related. They have hypoallergenic products, with no fragrance, very gentle and that clean really well. But they are a little high priced. So if you're looking for affordable, your best bet by far is Olay. It's the best face drugstore brand.